Stanford University Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Stanford University Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Stanford University

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Hiring is decentralized and different departments handle it differently. It's unlikely you'll have the same (Administrative-side) interview experience as a friend or acquaintance interviewing elsewhere on campus.

Negotiation

Polite take-it-or-leave-it. Again, different parts of the org may have different approaches.

Other Interview Reviews for Stanford University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Great HR department - especially good at follow-up. Asked basic questions like, Why do you want to work at SMC?

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking at SMC instead of a pure for-profit company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Got interviewed 2 separate positions. Both started with a phone call to schedule a phone interview. First job, didn't go past phone interview. Second, got past HR interview, hiring manager phone interview, went in person. Went in for final interview where I didn't get chosen. Sort of depressing work environment and not exactly what I was looking for anyway. My references messed up and never called back which led me to not getting the job. Parking is bad and had to pay for my own

Interview Questions

• What do you think this position entails of? (threw me off because job desc is SOOO broad, guessed dealing with finances/budgets, more of a data analysis position)

Google the standard questions   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter, who was rather formal and was not the most personable. The recruiter asked a prepared list of a handful of questions that were asked of all candidates.

What I appreciated was that the recruiter started off the call with the salary estimate for the role and then asked if I still wanted to proceed. This needs to be done more often. I liked the transparency.

The one issue that I had with the phone screen is that the recruiter never asked about other opportunities that I have in the pipeline. The recruiter instead told me that they will interview the remaining candidates and once completed, submit options to the hiring manager. The estimate to get back to me was "a few weeks". Well, in a competitive applicant pool like Silicon Valley where you have tons of great companies, competitive candidates can be easily snatched up. That's what happened to me. I had multiple offers by the time I heard back from Stanford, one of which I already accepted. If they draw out the process without keeping in touch with candidates, the ones that remain available in the end will be those that may be the least competitive. It's a loss for Stanford in the end.

Interview Questions

• -Walk me through your resume
      -Describe a time you analyzed data and provided recommendations based on that data
      -Have you ever communicated financial concepts to outside departments   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I received an invitation to 5 back to back interview after filling in an interview survey through email and completing a phone interview. People there were generally nice and friendly though seemed not prepared enough. Several of them seemed like they didn’t know why they were there in the first place. The system gave an update that I wasn’t selected for the position. I wish they could show more respect for the candidate. I had to ask for leave with my current employer and then travel from San Francisco to Palo Alto for the interview. They didn’t offer any flexibility in letting me choose the interview date. At least they could do is to give me a call or at least an email to me, telling me that I wasn’t selected instead of just updating it in the system.