Stanford University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stanford University Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

2.9

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

The interview didn't involve a lot of probing questions. Asked about projects previously worked on and about experience on marketing. Interviewer was friendly and said that my experience wasn't what the department was looking for at the time.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Got a call within 1 week of submitting my application. Had a 45 min phone interview with the director and potential job supervisor. At the conclusion of the phone interview I was told to expect a second Skype interview the following week. I am still waiting for this and will update this as the process concludes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current roll and how you can use your experience to work at Stanford?   1 Answer

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

It began with the coordinator reaching out and asking me to answer 5 questions prior to scheduling a phone interview. The initial phone screen was quite pleasant. The interviewer and I had a few things in common and she was very easy to talk to. Mostly behavioral questions. The phone screen lasted about 30-45 minutes. I was then invited for an on-site interview with four different people in their recruiting team. I was to spend one hour with each and then have lunch with the last person for the last hour. I spent one hour with each of them, where I found myself repeating myself as they were all asking me the same questions. I was there for a total of four hours and was not offered any water until it was lunch time. I was annoyed that I had to answer the same questions over and over again with each of the interviewers. The interview process was repetitive and entirely too long for the position I was interviewing for. Pursuant to the interview, I left feeling pretty impartial about how my interview had gone. It's been two weeks and I have not heard back. I expected more from Stanford, considering their reputation. Whether it's a yes or a no, I expect at least that courtesy.

Interview Questions

• If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?   Answer Question

Service Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by the hiring manager and a few of the team. Their questions were mainly about my experience so far and how I would perform as a service delivery manager and as part of the team.

Development Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

Relative quick interview process, if you are able to get through the ATS. Got contacted by recruiter, set up interviews 1 week later. Heard their decision roughly 1 week later. Be prepared for MS Office test that only works with one version.

Interview Questions

• Can you do specific functions in MS PPT and Word in a method defined by the testing software?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There was a phone screen. Then I went on campus. I interviewed with a couple people. Then the Hiring Manager. She told me if I made an interview with her I was basically hired. I was not hired. I was told they went with a more qualified candidate.

Empirical Research Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and had heard about the post from my school. Was contacted by current fellows to interview for the position and we scheduled a 30 minute phone interview.

Interview Questions

• It was a situational interview where I had to create a statistical model on the spot.   1 Answer

Associate Director of Finance and Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was called in for an interview within 5 days of applying for this position. I possess all the required experience and I was interested in the research the director was doing. I was very excited about the opportunity and I figured this job was the perfect fit given I have previous Stanford experience. However unfortunately the interview team had no respect for me as a candidate. I was required to interview 5 times and they requested to speak on the phone to 9 references! Some of these references they talked to 2x. Having previously worked at Stanford I suggested that if they had concerns to check my employee record, which they did and they found nothing negative. They spoke to my current supervisor who made it clear she wanted to retain me and I was told that every reference I provided was overwhelming positive. I gave the interview team my current job description, current performance reviews and previous comments from over 20 people I managed in the past. After several weeks of back and forth they told me they had selected someone else and wished me the best.

While I was frustrated waiting for the decision I was relieved when they turned me down because I was able to reassure my current boss that the process was over. However, almost 3 weeks later they came back asking me to re- interview! The whole situation was handled very poorly, all 9 references said they felt harassed during the questioning and they suggested that if I got the offer to be wary as the director was nothing short of rude. I have never in my career felt so disrespected. During the final interview, I was asked all the same questions as the first time around and I was so insulted at some of the comments (about my reputation) that I am relieved that I was not selected for the position. I found out later that regrettably (an internal non-reference) spoke negatively about me, which is why they had concerns. Overall a big waste of time, my references were treated badly, I found out someone I once looked up to as a mentor betrayed me internally, and the amount of disrespect to me during the final interview was unprofessional to say the least. Beware of applying here, there are administrative politics and if you don't play along you are automatically blackmailed. I reached out to the person who gave me the bad reference to try to discuss any concerns but this person replied that they are very busy and unavailable to meet.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

One phone call, followed by a technical screen and a set-up in-person interview. Subsequent phone call, but did not get the job. The interviewers were nice, but hard to understand overall.

Bing Overseas Study Program Coordinator (Study Abroad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA).

Interview

I had a negative experience and I'm definitely turned off by Stanford. Here's the saga that occurred:

I applied online in July (heard of the position through word of mouth). First I was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later and I had to answer a series of short essay questions and submit them via email. About a week after that, I was interviewed by the recruiter (pretty dry questions as a screening process). Close to a month passed and I figured they weren't interested in me but weren't going to tell me. Then the recruiter said they were delayed (this was all via email) but wanted to move forward with me over video. I was surprised because the recruiter was not that friendly, so I assumed I wasn't moving forward. The video interview was about an hour long with 2 people on staff. It went fine and they were friendly. Then, the process just got more frustrating. They had said about a week later they wanted to move forward with me in a final interview in person. Instead of asking me when I was available they gave me 3 options of when to come in. Obviously, I was interviewing for other jobs besides Stanford, so I was busy during all of those times, particularly because they only gave me a few days notice.

WEEKS went by before we were able to schedule a final interview in person. The frustrating part about this was they would give me 12 to 24 hours to respond and then not reply to me for at least a week or two and it felt like they had pretty much forgotten... Finally, I had an in person interview which was 4 HOURS long with the whole department. I emailed everyone a thank you and checked in with the main woman I'd been communicating with. She never responded. A week passed- I emailed again. Still, NO RESPONSE. Then a month passed and I emailed- NO RESPONSE. I said very politely that I assumed they had chosen someone else, thanked them for their time, etc. Then 2 months after that in person interview, I finally get a generic rejection from the recruiter I talked to in the very beginning. I was in the final 3 and I got this response months later.

I will never apply to a job at Stanford again. They have a holier than though attitude, and it was very clear to me throughout the process that my time was not even remotely as important as theirs. There should be mutual respect when you are interviewing somewhere, and they just don't have that respect for others. I'm grateful that I realized this, and I'm grateful that I didn't get this job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, what areas of international education excite you the most, what is your experience with working with professors, etc.   Answer Question