Stanford University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 11, 2018

2.8

278 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Coordinator Interview

Interview

The process was fairly fast paced and questions were on par for an academic institution. However, I came away with the feeling that they really prefer to fill internally.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

regular interview for a position like this
    scientific presentation with Q&A at the end
    lunch with the lab to further discuss projects in the lab and or future projects
    informal interview for personal fitting

Interview Questions

• science questions and personal with other lab members   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

I didn't get past the initial email offering me a phone screening. Because I still have a full-time job as an Executive Assistant for a high tech company I had to write a quick response as to my availability. In my haste, there was a minor type-o. That infraction cost me the interview. My advice is to proofread all of your emails carefully before you hit "send".

Alcohol and Drug Educator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

There was a phone interview, followed by an in-person half-day interview on campus. After the on campus interview, I was never contacted by the hiring person again and they never responded to my follow-up email.

Interview Questions

• How do you collaborate with colleagues and other staff?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University in November 2017.

Interview

By far one of the worst interview experiences I have ever had. A writing assessment was required prior to the in-person interview, I spent quite some time on it throughout the weekend to have it turned in as early as possible. On the day of the interview, it was obvious the hiring manager did not take the time to read the assessment nor my resume. During the interview, the HM was trying to be way over the top with convoluted and hard to follow questions, filled with awkward pauses. He made me feel extremely uncomfortable and wreaked of pretentiousness. I could never see myself working with someone like that. I spent most of the time trying to think of what to say to end the interview. Even worse, towards the end, the HM assumed I spoke Spanish and proceeded to speak Spanish at me, this is illegal and considered discrimination. I was completely in shock. It was just an utter nightmare. I couldn't have gotten out of there faster.

Also be aware, most of the positions labeled "program manager" are really just high-level administrative assistant positions, do not be fooled by the title.

Total waste of time. Stanford, please get your act together and start hiring educated professionals who are self-aware and able to adapt to the new and modern hiring practices that are being implemented across Silicon Valley. It's time to wake up and hire real professionals who are up-to-date with the latest business hiring practices.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

It was a phone screen, first step with HR. It was not unpredictable. It was not remarkable. It was pretty straight forward behavioral questions with HR. I suggest you read up and study on behavioral interview questions.

Student (Undergrad) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

I applied Restricted Early Action. Interviewed with an alum at a local Starbucks. Was asked about high school experiences, extracurriculars, etc. The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes. Mentioned toward the end that only two of the students he has ever interviewed got accepted.

REU Interview

Interview

You apply through the website and rank your top choices. I met with several of the Professors to discuss the projects and make myself more apparent as a candidate. After about a month I heard back and found out which project I had gotten.

Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had already completed a phone screen for another position with Stanford prior to this in-person interview which is why I think I didn't have to do a phone interview (it was the same HR recruiter for both positions). However, I feel like it might have been better if a phone interview had been conducted, since I got the impression that my lack of relevant experience kept me from progressing further past this interview - something that would have come up in a phone interview...

Student Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After the application they asked for short answers to some questions and also for responses to sample student emails. Then there was a first-round interview with a panel of 4 people from the department who you would be working with on a daily basis. Then there was a second-round interview with a panel of 4 managers/senior staff from the department.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a stressful situation and how you handled it   Answer Question