Stanford University Associate Director of Stewardship, Stanford, Graduate School of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Stanford University

1 Interview Review

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

10/25/18 Hiring manager contacted me; we set up a time to chat on the phone.
10/29/18 During the call she assigned 7 writing samples (listed in interview questions) and asked for me to watch a video of the Dean.
11/20/18 On-campus interview; the hiring manager was out sick. The team was not prepared or welcoming. The absence made me decidedly more nervous for this exciting opportunity. The team gave negative feedback on my day-long on-campus interview.
11/30/18 Hiring manager set up a coffee meeting for us to discuss the feedback and express that she was still interested in my candidacy and wanted a "take two" on-campus interview, to which I agreed.
12/14 Second on-campus full-day interview (note: I am taking PTO from my current employer). Everything in the interview was the same: same people, setting, questions. Except this time the hiring manager is there to facilitate. I feel less confident this time around as I am fully aware of the teams doubts. It went okay, however...
12/20 Hiring manager sets up a phone call for us to discuss the second on-campus interview.

She communicated that I wasn't getting the job, and if it makes me "feel better," they aren't hiring anyone. It became clear to them that they weren't sure what they were looking for and that they were going back to the drawing board. When I asked for feedback, she told me that "I didn't answer any of their questions." Then she laughed at me. I am relieved that I didn't this job; I recommend you avoid the Stanford GSE. As I am writing this, it is August of the next year. When I think back to the unprofessional hiring parade, I rest soundly knowing this individual is not a leader or administrator that I would enjoy reporting to. This experience changed my entire perception of Stanford.

On personal note - I am a young professional; both of my parents have recently passed away. This process ran from Halloween to Thanksgiving and the hiring manager called me days before Christmas to deliver the news; adding insult to injury.

Interview Questions

• "Please send three writing samples that are meaningful to you. - In addition, I’d love for you to send me some drafts of “imaginary letters” that anyone in stewardship might find themselves having to write from time to time:  A thank you letter from the Dean to a first time, alum donor of $200  A thank you letter from the Dean to a donor who just completed a 5-year pledge of $1M, in honor of her deceased husband and in support of graduate fellowships for underrepresented minority students at the GSE.  A letter to a donor who called you, very upset because their gift went to the Dean’s Discretionary Fund instead of the General PhD Fellowship Fund.  An email to a faculty member who holds an endowed chair but who has not responded to your two previous emails about needing them to write their annual letter to their donor. - I would like to you watch the first 10 minutes of a video of our dean, Dan Schwartz, who was kicking off our Alumni Excellence in Education Award reception that we hold during reunion/homecoming weekend here on campus. After watching the first 10 minutes of the video, I’d like you to please draft a letter from Dan to a very special guest who was going to attend for the first time but had to cancel at the last minute and missed the reception. Here’s the video: Dan's speech at the Alumni Awards, starts at 4:50 (should come up at that time)."   Answer Question