Stanford University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.8

Administrative Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

There were two in-person interviews, which was scheduled approximately two weeks apart. The first interview consisted of one person, the manager and the second interview, was a panel of two. The process took about 2 1/2 months since applying online (~1 1/2 month for them to reach out, then scheduled interviews). The interviews were formal but friendly and was insightful.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you want to work here?
      What do you know about this position? Why does it fit you?
      How well do you work under pressure?
      Answer Question

Life Science Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Met with the PI, and answered a few questions specific to plasmid handling and prep. Basic stuff. Also met with the graduate students who were around at the time as well as the person I was hired to replace. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• How long I intended to stay? How to clone a sequence of interest into a plasmid?   Answer Question

Student Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

I am very disappointed in Stanford. I applied for the position at the end of March. I went through an phone interview and 2 in-person interviews (which were, admittedly, informal and relaxed). Each stage took at least 2 weeks, including scheduling, interview, and follow-up interview invite. After the final round of interviews, I was told the final decision would take 1-2 weeks and they would let me know. One of them even made sure I had her email, just in case. That was over three weeks ago. I never heard from them, even after several follow-up emails politely asking for an update. Not one of the 3 people I was in contact with took the time to respond that they were moving forward with a different candidate. I expect more from an institution of this caliber.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The process took around 2 months. I was contacted by the head of the lab for a phone screening. A week later, I was asked to do a skype interview. Finally, a few weeks later I did an on-campus interview where I met the head and lab members. Was offered the job by the end of that interview.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my resume and experience   1 Answer

Administrative Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Stanford University in June 2016.

Interview

My brief 10 minute phone interview was close to 25. Was asked to come in for a face to face. I assumed it would be a panel interview. Assumed wrong. Met with four different people who were allotted a specific amount of time. This portion lasted close to three hours and forty five minutes. Arrived super early as I was advised that parking could get complicated. They weren't kidding. Tons of construction and of course the campus is massive. Overall, my interview process was great.

Interview Questions

• What about the job posting made me want to apply?
      Why Stanford?
      What type of experience do you have with _____?
      Answer Question

Staff Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very informal. However this varies from lab to lab based on how a professor decides to run their lab. This was not an advertised position I just asked around. Phone call first and then an in-perosn interview. Very straight forward. I was the only applicant.

Interview Questions

• What non-scientific skill did you gain from your last position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

I applied by sending my resume and a cover letter after a previous employer referred me to the role. I had a skype call with the PI of the lab. The questions were pretty straightforward: discussed my previous experience, interest in research and psychology, and reasons for applying to the role.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Initial interview via Web-Ex with IT Manager 30mins
    discussed past jobs and responsibilities

On-site Interview with IT Manager & Team
    Team members introduced themselves
    went around table each team member asked questions, ranging from mock scenario's to technical questions. Duration 1 hour

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stanford University (Stanford, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Stanford's interview process, at least in the department where I interviewed, seems to be pretty standardized. First you start out with a phone screen, then move on to in-person interviews and possibly second round interviews. A skills test was required for my interview which included a basic excel test (sorting, vlookup etc) which was generally easy if you have used excel before, next was a writing/grammar test ( write a sample email or write a letter describing why you are the best for this job). The most difficult thing about any of my Stanford interviews was the sheer amount of people and time it takes. I interviewed with up to 10 people in one day (individual and panel) and it can be pretty tiring mentally.

Overall, everyone at Stanford was professional, I knew what to expect at every step and I felt my time was valued.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview

The interview was a 2-3 day process. It consisted mainly of one-on-one interviews with faculty about their research and my research. Additionally, meals and activities with faculty and grad students were included. A poster session was included as a chance to learn about current research and talk with grad students. There were plenty of opportunities to ask about the school and environment.

Interview Questions

See What Stanford University Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Former Senior Research Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

Pros: “Being surrounded by brilliant people stretches your limits beyond expectations. I was always able to attend seminars held by some of the most interesting entrepreneurs, Nobel laureates...”“Being surrounded by brilliant people stretches your limits beyond expectations. I was always able to attend seminars held by some of the most interesting entrepreneurs, Nobel laureates, professors, etc. I also loved the work environment. One might worry that Stanford is a very competitive place and the environment is toxic but this cannot be further from the truth. My colleagues were extremely collaborative, friendly, and always willing to go out of there way to make me feel welcome. There was almost no competition and it did seem like everyone was simply focused on their tasks. We also had weekly office parties on Fridays in our department where we were able to unwind after a week of work.” – Full Review