Stanley Black & Decker Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Stanley Black & Decker

2.9

Graphic Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview a few days later. After completing the phone interview I was invited to an in person panel interview. I interviewed with 3 designers and it was about an hour long interview talking about the work in my portfolio. Everyone was friendly.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. After a brief discussion, I was handed off to the main recruiter who works directly with SB&D. He was friendly and knowledgeable - a CPA. Apparently he is the only guy that SB&D uses for Finance recruitment. And he works with the CFO on the Finance staff development plans/reviews.

He liked me and I visited the campus for an onsite interview. Nice location but I was struck with their mission statement - "A numbers organization with values". I heard some negative comments about B&D. Specifically, that they would fur low their staff to hit a quarterly number - not good management. As a Finance professional, I value hitting your numbers but not at the expense of your staff.

Throughout the interview, I also got the sense there were other parts of their culture that did not match with me. The interviewers all mentioned a sense of competition among the staff. Competition, not excellence, this was strange. I felt SB&D pushes their staff to excel by feeding on other team member's failures.

I lost my enthusiasm for the position mid-way through the interview process, and did not continue.

Interview Questions

• They seem to focus on the standard behavioral questions. I.e. "Name a time when you failed and what happened..."   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD).

Interview

Answered a posting. Got a call from internal recruiter (Neil). Phone interview which asked basic experience questions, Came in with more interview questions to a stressed out bunch of managers.. Offered job a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? How did you pushback on the job?   Answer Question

Found out how bad the place was and immediately declined. HR called and tried to explain the feelings by the employee in the company and the annual layoffs.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

The HR recruiter was great, very professional - and quickly discerned that I was "through" to be recommended to the hiring manager. My 4-hour/7 person interview schedule was prioritized quickly, within 2 weeks. Among the interviewers were peers, direct reports, matrixed reporting relationships and the direct reporting VP. The interviews spanned mid-day/lunch but no food, snacks, drinks were planned or offered within the day's plan. I thought it was an oversight, but I guess not. After about an hour, I was offered a drink of water as an afterthought. The direct reports were future leaders, very capable women and clearly very good at what they do. The others were... well, the questions were pointed at existing tactical gaps in their current situation, not listed on the job description. They did not use the STAR method, as specifically described by the HR rep. Sadly, they did not try to describe on the employer, the team, the employee experience, the culture, any growth or development initiatives, employee longevity, affinity groups or women's initiatives - which I know MUST be part of someone's priority list there. There was a passing complaint that they still use styrofoam at the Towson campus. In the end, I deemed this not a culture/team fit for me, and I removed myself from consideration.

Field Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Plymouth, MN) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied for the job online. I was contacted via phone and email and conducted an initial phone interview. I was then sent a follow up email that requested we schedule a video conference interview. I interviewed at a local Stanley facility via video conference with an Engineer as well as the Field Service Manager.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10 1 being the least and 10 being the most, how much do you like dealing with unhappy customers?
      There were no real technical questions, but they did want a general idea of how you problem solve or troubleshoot general electrical and communication issues.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in May 2009.

Interview

The initial screen was done via telephone by a representative from Decision Toolbox (the outsourced HR sourcing company). The job description was more detailed than I had seen before, so I really knew what the position entailed. I was one of a few (not sure how many) people that were interviewed over the telephone by the hiring manager. A week later I was contact about coming into their offices for face to face interviews with the hiring manager, an HR director, and other managers, as well as the current incumbent. It was a rather thorough interview process that gave me a good look 'inside' the company.

Interview Questions

• Looking at your resume it appears that you have had more or less the same title for the past five employers. Explain?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with a diverse range of personalities, or can you?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was short and sweet. It was quiet conversational, not your traditional interview. Although, the questions were pretty basic and the more common questions usually asked during interviews. I enjoyed my interviewer because he expressed interest before the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What leadership experience can you bring to the position?   Answer Question

Sales Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Interview

The interview was a standard interview process. It was basically the usual standard behavioral questions and tells me the time you do this in the past. I has a good experience until at end the process. After the 4th interviews, there was zero communication of any kind of from the hiring manager. I tried to follow up, but none of my e-mails or phones call was answer.

Now I didn't expect much, but a little bit of common courtesy would have been nice since I did go 4 round of interview. I would have been satisfy with just a generic computer generate e-mail, but I didn't even get that. Overall the whole process leave a bad taste.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

A couple interviews by phone, first with Human resources, then with management.
    Then I have a day full of interviews at their facilities again with management and with some team members.
    Very very long process.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in January 2013.

Interview

Call after call after call then interview after interview and finally another interview, completely waste of my time and their time. Also, I never heard from them back to let me know I did or didn't have he job. When I call them back they refuse to pick up nor response to my emails

Interview Questions

• Typical bs questions and waste of time   1 Answer