Stanley Black & Decker Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Stanley Black & Decker

2.9

ElectroMechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in August 2017.

Interview

3.5 hour round-robin interviews with 5 people (45 minutes each). I was the only candidate present. Interviews were in the following order:
    • HR—generic character questions (tell me about a time when...)
    • Electrical Engineer—resume project descriptions, a basic EE question (voltage dividers, H-bridge functionality)
    • Mechanical Engineer—resume project descriptions, "Why SB&D"-type questions
    • Director of Construction Innovation—role-playing troubleshooting a problem (actually fun)
    • Senior Safety Engineer—resume project descriptions

Interview Questions

• (HR) Tell me about a time when you were angry at a decision your team had made:   1 Answer
    • (EE) "What types of batteries did you use to power this project on your resume? Did you actively check to see voltage levels of the batteries? If you were to, what type of circuit would you have used and what's the equation for it?"   1 Answer
    • (ME) What was the most complicated thing you've ever disassembled/ reassembled?   1 Answer
    • (Dir. of Construction Innovation) Brought in 2 different, partially-disassembled drills. Explained that one was an older version of the other. Proceeded to explain the differences between them in their designs, and finished by stating that the newer drill model has a specific flaw (i.e. it breaks prematurely in normal use cases).
      "You can run any tests you like and I'll be your technician. I'll tell you what the ordered test output: if you ask to see a slow-motion video of a certain action, I'll explain/ draw what I saw. If you ask for some analysis, we can return a graphical representation of results. Your job is to find out why the newer model is breaking prematurely as described."   1 Answer

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Towson, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. After two weeks, I got a phone interview. The phone interview was easy. Basically went through my resume and talked about my skills with some basic technical questions.

An on-site interview was set up the following week. Four interviewers came one by one. Behavioral questions are quite common. Technical questions went from very easy to very hard, mostly about analog circuits. They asked me to analysis circuits about their actual design, which is quite complicated.

HR contacted the next week and gave me an offer.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Vice President of Sales, Director of North American Sales Was in Person. HR interview Was Over The Phone. Background Check,Drug Test is Mandatory. Negotiated Salary With Director of North American Sales.

Interview Questions

• Tell Us How You Would Go About Planning Your Schedule For One week, One Month and etc ?   1 Answer

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Albuquerque, NM) in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted application

Email questionnaire
    About specifics of me and how I would approach the role

Ride along with distributor
    This was encouraged and optional; the distributor discouraged me from taking the role and offered me a position on a route he had just purchased.

Interview with regional manager
    We talked about SBD and the role, I asked a lot of questions, he had answers for everything. We talked about the salary but he was not a decision maker with this and was off in his estimates.

5 FaceTime interviews with upper management
    This was more listening than talking and a lot of repeating the same things I had said in the pervious interviews.

Offer was made and more details sent via email.

I proposed a counter offer and it was rejected and I declined the original offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and what you learned from it?   1 Answer
    • Why should I take invest in hiring you?   Answer Question
    • This position requires 80% overnight travel- are you ok with that?   Answer Question

We couldn't come to an agreement on starting salary. I didn't feel as if the company wanted me as much as they wanted to get someone in a hard-to-fill position.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Columbus, OH) in February 2014.

Interview

Good interview with a lot of people - 5-6. They did a phone screen and then arrange a TP at their satellite location. Offer was made a week later, but I request a site visit which follow with more interviews and meet team members.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (New York, NY).

Interview

Day long event including two technical interviews and one with HR. the technical interviews varied- some were more conversational asking about interests related to engineering. Some questions asked about projects you've worked on and asked to walk them through the steps of how you solved the problems at the time. Some were straight forward- solve this, helps if you know about gears.

Sales & Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Dallas, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a B&D recruiter. She held a phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. Next, was an interview with a local sales manager. This was very basic; nothing overwhelming. That afternoon, I rode with another manager to visit one of the local accounts I would be managing; we walked the store and he described what a typical day would be like. 3 days later, I was contacted to schedule an interview at the home office in Baltimore Maryland. They covered all expenses. A group of 50 people were brought in to interview for several positions nationwide. This was a 2 day event concluding with a round robbin 1:1 interview process with several HR managers. The day I arrived home, I was contacted and offered the position.

Sales Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Interview

The interview was easy. They asked common HR questions.
    I was interviewed by six people, 30 min each.
    The interview process was smooth.
    They would let you know by email if you did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Asheboro, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker (Asheboro, NC) in April 2013.

Interview

They asked several questions. Included were questions pertaining to how good am I at selling stuff. Availability was an important thing since they are open on weekends. Base pay plus commission was discussed. Also they wanted to know why I was interested working at Sears. This was Sears and not a Sears home store.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know if I had operated a cash register before.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The interview was fairly informal and easy going. They allowed you to say what you wanted about yourself. They give you a tour of the facility and show you what you may be doing on a typical work day.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions. Typical questions. They allowed you to be yourself and make sure you understood every question that was being asked. Their was nothing set to confuse you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Telling you your salary and if you accept it.