Staples Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2018

2.5

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

After an exchange of emails from one recruiter, I had an uncertain phone interview with a recruiting specialist. The recruiting specialist called and the first question out of his mouth was "What are you expecting in terms of compensation?" Who starts an interview this way? Immediately I let him know that question was way to premature. I don't understand how a recruiter comes off like they have no clue what they are doing. I have zero recruiting experience, but you introduce yourself, your role, you set the agenda and conduct an interview. Get these recruiters some training and further emphasize to them the significance of follow ups via email. Staples took a shot in the arm on this one.

My advice to interview candidates, don't expect a professional experience.

I cut the interview short after realizing it's amateur hour. I don't blame the recruiter. I blame the people who set forth the training and expectations of the recruiters.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Very short process. I was reached out to by a recruiter, following one phone interview I was brought in for an in person with my manager. This was a very basic sales interview. Following this I did a ride along with another sales person. Here you got to experience going door to door first hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Received initial call by applying on ZIP-RECRUITER from senior HR executive. Scheduled a follow-up telephone interview with same person. Both initial call & second interview were highly professional & conducted with thoughtfulness & respect. Above everything else was that I received a thank you letter that told me I would not be continuing with the hiring process. Though disappointed I found that acknowledging my efforts to the process was very respectful--this was one of perhaps 2 or 3 letters I received out of the many interviews I've had. Great to know there are professionals who do their job very well indeed.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying to this company?   Answer Question
    • What do you do when a potential customer refuses an offer you make or simply says "no."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

2 phone interviews, one in person interview. Each lasted less than 30 minutes. Spoke with recruiter first, asked personality based questions mostly. Then spoke with regional manager who asked more motivation based questions. Final interview was with regional and area managers who just asked about work experience, what motivates you to do a good job and things of that nature.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Lansing, MI) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and the process took over a month. After the recruiter phone interview I was put in contact with an HR hiring manager. After that phone interview I was contacted by phone from an area hiring manager. We completed the interview on an online webinar type environment. However, we could not see each other and had to use our phones for sound? Maybe he was watching me I am not entirely sure. He seemed very disinterested right from the start and commented many times on my lack of print and marketing experience. I don't understand why my resume passed through a recruiter and HR and wasted my time. Again they contacted me not the other way around. A few weeks after the webinar I received an email with the classic "pursuing other applicants" rant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Lombard, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

I first applied on indeed.com. I was then contacted with an email saying that they would like to have a phone interview with me. They explained the salary right away. Phone interview followed by an in person interview two weeks later. The phone interview was with a national recruiter and the in-person interview was in Lombard.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses in sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with regional recruiter to discuss background and experience. Next round was phone interview with hiring manager to further discuss my background and prior experience. Final interview was in person with panel of hiring manager and district manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Discuss salary with recruiter

Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

The process was extremely lengthy, unnecessary at times. After over a month of multiple interviews, they decided to offer me a much lower paying position. They failed to mention that they were NOT really interviewing for an AM position and that this position was sort of an "apprenticeship" with NONE of what I was told the position offered.

TIP:
    Be honest with those applying to your company, leave the bait & switch technique for sleazy sales men....or in this case, Staples hiring managers.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I went through a phone interview first, which lasted 20 to 30 minutes. After the phone interview I was invited to stop by the corporate office and interview with human resources. Once Human Resorces was satisfied I was the scheduled to interview with management. My manager was the one who offered me my position. The process took 2 weeks.

Negotiation

There is very little negotiation when I was hired.Staples offered me a base and then explained that if I sold more I could reach my financial goal.

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Novato, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Initially I applied for a part-time position in the Copy Center of one of the stores. When I met with the GM, he asked me if I knew that I was over-qualified for the position and I said "yes" I was only looking for part-time work to supplement my online, freelance work.
    At this point he asked if I would be interested in the full-time position of Account Manager. I thought about it and agreed that I was interested.
    The process began with the GM's referral of me for the position, followed by five separate phone interviews and two separate face-to-face interviews; all of which made for an extended and nerve-wracking experience.

Interview Questions

• What single quality do you believe you possess qualifies you for this position?   1 Answer