Staples Easy Tech Expert Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Staples Easy Tech Expert Interview Questions

1.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Stevens, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Staples (Lake Stevens, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online, and got a call 3 days later for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early, and he wasn't ready for me yet. He came out and invited me in, and we sat down. Then he just started a conversation with me. An hour later, he told me the interview was done and did I have any questions. Confused, I asked him when we started, he replied "I asked the questions, but just more in a casual way." Feeling satisfied I asked a couple questions about the company and the way it worked.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Staples (Brea, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

They basically said I would have to learn the ropes of inventory and selling, but they didn't say that I would not touch a computer until I did all of that. They made it sound like I just had to go through some training and some on-the-floor experience. This was not the case. It's impossible to do tech work and do sales/inventory management- so I was essentially a salesman- this was not made clear in the interview. They also did not make clear that they wanted you to be a perfect salesman before they'd "let you" start doing tech work.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to work with a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really wasn't any negotiating. They told me what I'd be making.

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Staples (Orange, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Short and straight to the point. Operation manager asked few simple questions for me but had nothing much needed from me as I was highly recommend by her General Manager.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your Weaknesses   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (Greenville, SC) in April 2012.

Interview

Thorough and to the point. The questions asked made me feel like I was going to be in a position to broaden my IT experience. I was able to provide easy and honest answers without feeling bad about the possibility of being too inexperienced.

Interview Questions

• A customer brings a desktop computer to the tech counter and states that a message displaying "NTLDR is missing" appears, what do you do?   1 Answer

Easy Tech Expert Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples in January 2012.

Interview

only had 1 interview, did not seem like the manager was prepared for the interview. another manager walked in during my interview and started cussing and talking about very inappropriate topics. very unprofessional experience they did not seem like they were motivated to find good candidates for the job. was very surprised that these people were managers. i had to ask the questions.

Interview Questions

• everything about this interview was difficult, it was like i had to interview myself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Staples (Milton, GA) in December 2011.

Interview

Spoke at length with General Manager, then spoke with District manager the next day. They asked the typical questions such as: describe a time when things didn't go the way you hoped; describe an event in your experience that you are proud of; what is your attitude towards working with people of diverse backgrounds; how have you worked to grow your employees, etc.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working with customers and employees of diverse cultural backgrounds?   Answer Question

Salary offered was way too low for what I needed

Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (City of Industry, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I actually interviewed at two different Staples locations, one by accident and the other was scheduled. Needless to say between the two there was really not much difference. There are usually a total of two interviews for the position of Easy Tech Expert or any Easy Tech position for that matter. The difference being the Expert position you must pass an online tech test before even getting an interview, the associate or resident tech. position you take that after the first interview. The questions at both interviews were exactly the same. They're looking for someone with personality that can push sales and produce numbers, as well as fix computers. Be friendly and loose, not tense and short with answers. They want the guy that can talk someone into buying $300 + of accessories with the computers AND fix them when they break. Anti-social hermits need not apply. Be able to sell and fix not just hide behind the counter and fix. After the personality and short tech. quiz with questions like, "What is an ODD? Would you be able to store information on an ODD?" The answers being Optical Dist Drive, and No you do not store information on an ODD you store information on the Media that is read by ODD's such as, CDs, DVD's, and Blu-Ray. After the interview with the assistant manager, who will usually be your manager in the long run if you're anything lower than an Expert, otherwise you will be under the Genreal Manager in some smaller stores like I was. You'll have a second interview with the General Manager, be ready for some situational questions and also personality/goal questions. "Why would you be a good fit for this company? What would you offer this person buying a new laptop? Why would they want virus protection for $30-$40 dollars, when hey can get AVG Free or Microsoft Security Essentials?"

Interview Questions

• What are some services or accessories you would offer a customer purchasing a new Laptop for their back to school student? (while this might not be hard now that I worked there for a couple years, but it was at the time)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, the amount is calculated by a computer, and they are unable to negotiate, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples (Palmdale, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was easy. Its a basic retail interview asking about your experience and schedule. They want to know if you can diagnose computers and do basic computer repair (Hard drive failure, viruses, hardware and software installation) After the interview I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Q: How knowledgeable are you with computer diagnostics and repair.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Jackson, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied online, then came into the store and talk to the store manager. He said he was looking for someone to work on computers which i said would be perfect for me. He said it was gonna be awhile before he would be doing any hiring. So i came in every week for a month and bugged him. Finally it was time for an interview. After five interviews and computer test i had a job. A job that paid min. wage.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

what negotiation i was told what i would be paid and if i didn't like it i could go else were.

Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Staples (Wake Forest, NC) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied online and was called in for an interview the next morning. I spoke to the Sales Manager and the General Manager and was hired the following day, pending a background check.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle an angry customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating; they had a price they could pay and I could either accept or decline.