Staples General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Staples General Manager Interview Questions

2.3

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Howell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Howell, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter over the phone. Basic questions about resume and past experiences. Went over salary range and position. Interview was about 15 minutes or less.

Second interview was over the phone with HR business partner. Went over behavioral questions and then talked about the company. Very easy going interview with a intelligent person. Interview lasted about one hour.

Third interview was with District Manager face to face at store location. A mix of behavioral and standard interview questions. Interview lasted about one hour.

Last interview was with Regional Vice President face to face. Went in detail about previous job duties. Interview lasted about 30mins.

Overall interview process was good however it took way too long to complete. Over two months long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room. Talent acquisition recruiter called to discuss range and couldn't go above a certain amount.

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (East Fishkill, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Spoke with HR Recruiter twice for two positions in a six month window and she was great. Very clear and upfront. Once I was connected with the HR Manager it was just a phone screening with a bunch of shotgun questions. Very impersonal and let me get through these questions mentality. I was passed on to a third phone screening with someone who didn't even introduce themselves and gave feedback that they didn't see me as a general manager abut still wanted to talk. Set up a meeting 45 meetings away for an undisclosed position. Not the interview experience I expect from such a company. If they treat applicants like cattle then imagine employees.

Interview Questions

• If we asked your previous peers what 3 characteristics they would say are your best?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Stamford, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

I've first went through a recruiter through Staples. She was slow to respond after sending me an email with no contact info, then caught me on a Monday during work without confirming the time first like she original stated. She seemed unprepared as well, and it took a few minutes for her to pull up my record.

The main problem that I've had with Staples is that they seem to outsource recruiters who don't really understand what they're hiring for. The mistake I made was trying to talk about my experience, rather than cherry picking and saying the right buzz words that they were screening for. Part of it was my fault in that I was caught off guard during lunch break and I've over 10 years of experience, so she cut me off early on and stopped listening or seeing how I fit in (and she's the one who should've read my cover letter and resume, she should've known how I fit in already).

If I got in front of the district manager or someone who knew what he/she was doing, I would've been fine. Staples do not use intelligent recruiters who are great at their job - learn from my mistake and IMMEDIATELY, ONLY say specific key words and experience exactly to the position you're applying for. Think simple and pigeonhole yourself, dumb down your answer and talk ONLY about few specific things - don't even explain things, just list a few very short, easy things like you're reading a grocery list. Then you'll do fine and will go on to meet someone in person who has real world experience in the field.

I've done my research and went and talked to the people at my local store. What I didn't expect, since I've done a lot of interviews in the past and assumed professional hiring managers would handle hiring for a big company like Staples, is that they're using recruiters who are essential people looking at computer screens and matching key words to *screen* (NOT INTERVIEW) the candidates. This first part IS NOT A CONVERSATION - they're working off a checklist and are clueless otherwise.

It doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are or how experienced you are. Learn from my mistake and only say the stuff your specific recruiter wants to hear, because they don't know better (might be a bit of a lottery). Good luck!

Interview Questions

• So you were an "x", what is that?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Phone interview, interview with HR, interview with DM, background check, offer. Once offer made very fast turn around with slow background check. DM and HR doubled on interview. Very unusual process. Negotiated salary with HR not DM. Interview had all behavioral based questions as well as profit questions. Come prepared with what you did and how it worked out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to counsel an associate   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online & contacted by company recruiter. Went through standard interview questions, recruiter spoke to some talking points in next interview...Which was to be contacted the following week...5 weeks later a no thanks letter was delivered to e-mail...Really!? I think I had that figured out by that time.

I felt she was a bit concerned with my salary history, which was a bit below what is shown here on Glass Door which had me a bit puzzled.

Interview Questions

• "How do make sure that your team is selling warranties?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Five (FIVE!) interviews with the recruiter then Human Resources and then senior management. It took over six weeks to get everything scheduled, completed and reviewed. WAY too long

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Met with DM for informational interview as I was a strong referral candidate. Discussed background and answered situational based questions. How I drive results, manage performance, plan and organize etc

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I knew the range as it was covered during the prescreen. Also glass door info gave me a good idea and I set a number I could accept and that's what they offered

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples in March 2015.

Interview

You'll first have to pass a phone recruiter who asks very generic questions about "Why Staples" and the fun Salary question.
    Then you'll wait a week+
    Then you'll phone interview with a HR, More detailed, but the same generic questions you get.
    Then you'll wait a week+
    Then you'll get to an interview with the District Manager.
    Then it'll be rescheduled, and you'll wait a week+
    Then you finally get your interview.. and between my interview and another friend's who went through the same process:
    You'll either be told you can train as an Assistant Manager for 6weeks or only offered an Assistant Manager position. (At $20k+ less than GMs a year)

-- All these General Manager positions seem to be covers for getting Assistant Managers. The GMs aren't leaving, its the ASMs that are when they realize they're not going to get a GM spot.

Huge waste of time.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

Two step interview with district manager and divisional. I got a phone call from the district manger to meet at a particular store. We met in the management office where he proceeded to ask a series of standard questions. I was then passed on to meet the divisional at a later date where he asked me why I wanted to work for Staples.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your previous employer. What are some strengths you can bring to the team?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Interview

I had two interviews, one with a tenured general manager and one with the district manager. Now I believe they have a phone screening with a regional recruiter. After I was hired I was assigned to a training store and a mentor general manager where I completed a 10 week training curriculum.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had everything planned and your day did not go according to plan? What did you do? How did you prioritize? What was the outcome? How did you keep everything straight?   Answer Question