Staples B2B Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 30, 2017

2.9

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Staples (Englewood, NJ).

Interview

Standard "about you question". Sales pitch on why they should hire you with your self created marketing materials. Both territory sales manager and District managers are present. Preparing effective marketing materials on "why you should hire me" was the most difficult part. Be creative. They were more laid back than I expected.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

It was first a standard phone interview with a recruiter, who reached out to me. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I wa s then told I would probably need to have a skype interview with director but instead received a call with an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Staples (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was easy. It was short and easy. First I applied online and then next day they sent me an email for a phone interview and then they called.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Easy. Phone interview. Manager interview. Regional manager interview. Apply online. take personality test. Get the job. They hire anyone. Very quick process takes about a week total. Fill out paperwork. Youre hired

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Houston, TX).

Interview

Multi-step interview process. If you pass one level you get to move onto the next.

1. Call from HR department. Typical phone interview where they review your resume and ask questions about previous jobs and gaps you may have. Probably asked a few generic "Why would you be a good fit?" questions.

2. Webcam interview with your potential boss (Area Sales Manager). They ask generic questions about "Why Staples?" or how your background makes you a good fit for the company. All the questions in the first 2 interviews are super generic. I feel like it's more important how you present yourself as you'll potentially be the face of Staples in the town you reside.

3. Webcam interview with your potential boss's boss (Regional Sales Manager). Up until now I felt like I was golden and answered everything perfectly. Then I met this guy on the webcam. He hit me with difficult scenario questions that you could potentially be in, then would ask "What would you do now?". All of his questions made me feel like I bombed the interview, because everything he asked was honestly really hard. At the end he told me he would get with the other manager and discuss.

I later got a call from the Area Sales Manager who wanted to interview me again. She did so, and told me the Regional Manager was also going to be in town. He wanted to meet me in person. I went up to the Staples building and met him in person, and he told me that he gives everyone a real hard time to see how they hold up to pressure. He hired me on the spot.

The entire process took 6 months.

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out from the others interviewing for this position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

arrived at the facility and the manager gave me a tour around the building. The interviewer process lasts about 30 minutes and the ask a million questions about your previous quotas and positions.

Interview Questions

• Who did you prepare for this interview?
      Name one mistake you ever did and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Staples (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was laid out from the initial phone interview. The first face-to-face interview is with the manager you'd work with. The second is with another manager at a different office. The next stop is a ride-a-long with one of the top sellers on the team. The last part is a presentation and interview with the RSD.

Interview Questions

• If you had to choose, would you host a party or just be an invitee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Staples (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

They emailed you to schedule a phone interview. The lady didn't call you in the specific time but told me to wait for her. Finally contacting me and asked about background and legal status. Said the department had no budget to sponsor and would called me back. Didn't hear from her but I understand it was just a polite rejection.

Interview Questions

• Are you legal to work in US   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

I received a phone call from a recruiter/HRM from Staples. I was asked the usual questions: Behavioral, Situational, and Stress questions. The interview lasted about 35 minutes. At the end of the interview the HRM person said that they would get back to me in a week. A week went by, then 2 more weeks, I sent the HRM person an email asking about any updates. The person told me they were on vacation and just sent my information to the hiring manager. 2 more weeks went by, and I contacted them again. Now, I was told that I was not being considered for the job.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had a difficult customer, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online for an Outside Sales Rep position and was contacted by a Staples recruiter about a week later. We scheduled a time to speak. The job description said 1 to 3 years sales experience and a base salary of $65,000. During the phone interview the recruiter told me that position had been terminated and was no longer being offered. She told me to apply for other positions in the area. I got back onto Staples web site. Staples took down the old post and put up a new B2B Sales Position with 1 to 3 years sales experience and $55,000 base pay. I applied and again a recruiter contacted me. The recruiter was friendly but explained that the position being offered was more of an entry level role. Three years of sales experience is not entry level in my book. We decided the role was not for me. Sounds like the company is trying to cut cost by underpaying sales reps. $45,000 to $55,000 a year is post college pay, not experience pay.

Interview Questions

• Describe your current sales position and how that meets the requirements of the Staples position being offered.   Answer Question
    • How do you go about attaining new business and clients in your current sales role?   Answer Question