Staples Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017
1,314 Interview Reviews

2.3

Global Technology Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college/university by applying to interview with Staples at a career fair. No technical questions, just mainly a review of my resume and a casual conversation about the company with the interviewer. After this brief 30-minute, in-person interview, I received an offer about a week later. Overall easy interview process and would highly recommend.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsfield, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples (Pittsfield, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Met the manager and the interview too place in his office. The usual questions about past work history and interests were presented. Manager was engaging and easy to talk to, not intimidating. The entire process took about 20-30 minutes. Ended with the manager telling me about a background check and they would be in touch in the next few days.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were presented with an unhappy customer, what did you do to please the customer and how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Email to schedule a phone interview. Fairly casual phone interview. Maybe 10 mins with either recruiter or manager. Once we discussed salary, interview ended abruptly. Didn't want to waste either party's time. $46K >$60 offered verse looking for.

Interview Questions

• Skills; Relatable experience; Salary   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples (Provo, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

This was a rather informal interview. It took place on the sales floor, in the furniture department. The interviewing manager was nice and personable. The interview was much more personality oriented then skill oriented.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY).

Interview

consisted of a 5 part process. First phone screening by HR. Next is the face to face interview with manage. Once you pass the interview process you are brought in for a "day in the life" which consists of half day dialing and half day in the field going no appointments. Final stage is a phone interview with Regional Director.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Howell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Howell, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter over the phone. Basic questions about resume and past experiences. Went over salary range and position. Interview was about 15 minutes or less.

Second interview was over the phone with HR business partner. Went over behavioral questions and then talked about the company. Very easy going interview with a intelligent person. Interview lasted about one hour.

Third interview was with District Manager face to face at store location. A mix of behavioral and standard interview questions. Interview lasted about one hour.

Last interview was with Regional Vice President face to face. Went in detail about previous job duties. Interview lasted about 30mins.

Overall interview process was good however it took way too long to complete. Over two months long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room. Talent acquisition recruiter called to discuss range and couldn't go above a certain amount.

University Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was an employee referral, and was contacted within a few days to conduct a phone interview with hiring manager. Then was asked to corporate for an onsite interview with various team members and stakeholders. The interview process was managed quickly and with the candidate experience in mind. All of the interviewers were very engaged, interested in my experience, and happy to answer any and all of my questions. In the end the job was not a fit for me, but the experience with Staples was top notch.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for a job on their website and received an e-mail from their HR department to do a phone screen. It took a couple of weeks just to set that up because the person never responded to my e-mails. He finally responded and I did the phone screen. He asked normal questions for about 20 minutes. A couple days later he e-mailed me regarding a face to face interview. I was set up with two people to talk to for a half an hour. I got to the interview early and waited for the first person I was interviewing with to come and get me. She was 10 minutes late. She took me up to an interview room and we had a conversational interview that I thought went well, but it was short because she was late. The other person came in and it was the same type of interview for a half an hour. After that I left and thought it went pretty well. After that I e-mailed thank you's to both people I interviewed with and did not get a response. The interview was a week before Christmas so I didn't expect to hear anything until January. The first of the year I e-mailed the HR department regarding next steps and did not receive a response. So I e-mailed the people I interviewed with and did not get a response. It's been over a month and I never received anything from the company, so I assume I did not get the job. I think it is extremely rude that no one had the common courtesy to at least e-mail me and tell me I didn't get the job. The HR department is really bad at this company and my overall experience with Staples was poor. I do not think I would want to work at a company that treats potential employees this way.

Interview Questions

• It was more a conversational interview. No behavioral questions or anything like that.   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

Chaos. The recruiter told me to go in for an interview... but never told the coordinator or the people I was supposed to meet. So the first time I showed up at the HQ office, nobody knew I was coming. The second time, I waited for 45 minutes in the lobby before the hiring manager showed-up to fetch me and walk me to their office to talk. The hiring manager asked me to "go thru my resume" which is code for "I'm not prepared for this interview". I could go on, but why bother. My impression is that they take a shotgun approach to staffing, with serious disconnects between the recruiters, hr program managers, and hiring managers. Great place for "B" players; not a place that will attract and retain "A" players. After I waited a while to hear about next steps, I assumed nothing was going to happen going forward. I called the recruiter and let them know that because of their chaotic approach, I would not consider any other positions with Staples and would warn my friends to stay away from them.

Interview Questions

• Take me thru your resume...   1 Answer
    • Why Staples?   1 Answer
    • This job involves attending a lot of meetings. How do you feel about that?   1 Answer
    • Are you too senior [in your career] for this job?   1 Answer

Copy and Print Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Ask about my personality etc. I was a little shy at the beginning but then I kind of opened up and talked about more about myself, which I think made the interviewer liked me and wanted to give me chance to continue the interview process. But they suddenly told me that they want to change my position to sale stuff, so I didn't continue the interview process.