Staples Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018
1,540 Interview Reviews

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process has two phases, A phone interview and a face to face interview. If your resume is selected you will received an email, briefing that the hiring manager is interesting in your resume and want to discuss the post you apply for. He or she will ask you to reply to the email stating your most convenient time for a phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Hershey, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

I showed up early but had to wait until my schedule time anyway. We went into a really big empty conference room. Interviewer was quiet and maybe a little shy which made my quiet/shy side come out too. The entire interview is what I wrote below in the questions section. When I left I honestly thought it could go either way. When he asked me to tell him about myself I mentioned that I had built my own computer, so later when they called me back they asked if I would be interested in the Technology Sales position instead, which pays $0.30 more per hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (San Antonio, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

I was scheduled for an interview with a manager at a Staples location, which was confirmed a day prior to the interview. When I arrived, the person who I was supposed to interview with was not present, nor the assistant manager. I was told that I would receive a call to reschedule an interview. I didn't receive a follow-up email or a call to reschedule the interview.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Islip, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (East Islip, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Was interviewed by the assistant manager in a very tiny office. Was interrupted during the interview and was asked only three questions. I called a few days later to follow up and he said he would call back the next day but he never did.

Anonymous Employee in West York, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (West York, PA).

Interview

Without giving too much detail, it was really simple. Answer honestly and you will do fine. I was brought into the store and had a seat with the store manager and he asked me multiple questions about experience, and the general "why should I hire you" bit. And some questions about, "When, in your life" kinda questions.

Interview Questions

• The basic questions all interviewers ask, what experience and why should I choose you kinda stuff. It was really easy, not much to say about it honestly.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Several interviews with different people in the company. Very informative and helpful in the process. Overall the interview went great. A great company to work for overall. My first interview was with a recruiter at college.

Interview Questions

• There was not a question too difficult.   1 Answer

B2B Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Staples (Englewood, NJ).

Interview

Standard "about you question". Sales pitch on why they should hire you with your self created marketing materials. Both territory sales manager and District managers are present. Preparing effective marketing materials on "why you should hire me" was the most difficult part. Be creative. They were more laid back than I expected.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call weeks later when I least expected it. The person on the phone confirmed my interest of the position and told me that they would like to set up a group interview with me which I remember was a couple days after the phone call. At that point, I wasn't sure if I would get the job because I had heard that it was harder to pass group interviews because of the competition and such. But I dressed my best because if I couldn't sell my job experience to them (I had none) at least I could try selling my professional outward appearance. The lady for the group interview was very sweet and friendly and the group interview was very nice. There were 6 people total and everyone was supportive of each other. She sometimes pointed at someone specific to answer first or she would tell us we'll go in order a certain way or sometimes who ever wanted to start. The questions weren't very hard and it seemed like she was rooting for us to get hired. After the interview, she told us we would get a phone call in a few days (an email is for rejection), but when I went home, I missed their phone call because they had called me right away. (So make sure to watch your phone after.) She told me she would like to schedule my second interview with the manager on Wednesday (she called me on a Friday I think). For the second interview, I wasn't sure if it was going to be another scenario questions interview or something different and it was a bit of both. The manager was busy so I spoke with the assistant manager and it seemed like she wanted to hire me right away. She asked me very quick questions at first and later it transitioned to us conversing together and getting along. She spoke with the manager on the spot and came back to offer me $11.20 an hour. Since I had no prior experience, I joyfully accepted but if you think you have leverage and are in this situation, make sure you at least ask for a certain higher number and see what they say.

Interview Questions

• (Group interview) Why did you apply to Staples?   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Tell me a time that you had good customer service and what good customer service looks like to you.   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Tell me a time that you went above and beyond for someone.   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Before we finish up this interview, tell me if you were hired, what would you being to the table.   1 Answer
    • (Second interview) Tell me a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer
    • (Second interview) What do you know about Staples?   1 Answer
    • (Group interview) How do you feel about working in a fast-paced environment?   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) How do you feel about working in a one-on-one environment with the customers and about adjusting to their pace?   Answer Question
    • (Second interview) Do you have any previous job experience?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Riverside, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an email from a recruiter for an interview and sat it up for the next week. Phone interview that lasted maybe 20 minutes, small rundown of the company and store structures, fairly normal management questions... said I would hear back from her and nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Sacramento, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I met with two of the assistant managers at my local store. I thought the interview went well. I followed up with a "thank you" email to the store manager, but it has been over a week and I have yet to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised to be asked about the working conditions at my current employer.   Answer Question