Staples Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.1

134 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was great. I loved the general manager she was very easy going and a people person. I found out it only paid $12 an hour at the end of the interview. Felt like I wasted my time wish I knew before I went in.

Copy and Print Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me a week or so later. The interview itself was easy-going. The manager took me to the back, asked me generic questions as well as having me sell him a printer on the floor as if I was working there to see what I'd be like - which was perfect. I was called four days after my interview confirming I got the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to apply to Staples?   Answer Question
    • Describe one time you were approached by a difficult customer and how did you proceed with handling the problem?   Answer Question
    • If I were to call your previous employer and ask what is one good and bad quality about you, what do you think they'll say?   Answer Question

Account Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Valley Stream, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Staples (Valley Stream, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

1st- Initial interview with team Sales Manager, 2nd- Ride-Along with team member; encompassing a full day's work (meetings, pop-ins, etc), 3rd- Presentation to Management (team Manager and Regional Sales Director).

Interview Questions

• What are some areas of improvement?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Received initial call by applying on ZIP-RECRUITER from senior HR executive. Scheduled a follow-up telephone interview with same person. Both initial call & second interview were highly professional & conducted with thoughtfulness & respect. Above everything else was that I received a thank you letter that told me I would not be continuing with the hiring process. Though disappointed I found that acknowledging my efforts to the process was very respectful--this was one of perhaps 2 or 3 letters I received out of the many interviews I've had. Great to know there are professionals who do their job very well indeed.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying to this company?   Answer Question
    • What do you do when a potential customer refuses an offer you make or simply says "no."   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Montgomery, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I filled out application online through an online job search. I rec'd a phone call interview and then a panel interview was set for 2 weeks later, passed that round and was given another HR round of interviews. I had to email regularly as to not fall off the radar, even called the recruiter. ultimately they didn't make an offer. i wish they had let me know sooner. Make sure to know the company moto.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle associate conflicts?   1 Answer

Copy and Print Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

good it took awhile for manager to grant me an interview. I had to go into the store and request to speak with him. At the interview he said although I applied online he likes it when people come and and request to speak with him about the job.

B2B Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Stream, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Valley Stream, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

it was absolutely terrible! I first received a call from a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview with her. We complete the phone interview for the Sales Position for the East End of Long Island. She then told me she would pass me along to the manager that would be handling this. well, I didn't hear anything at all for two weeks. Then I finally get an email about another phone interview this time with the manager. So we schedule the time and I hear nothing from him... so I email him and he says he had the wrong phone number apparently ... hmm very strange. So we talk for a bit then he wants to set up another interview this time in person in the middle of the day. Please keep in mind I still have another job at this point. So I go to the interview and we go over the basic interview questions. At the end of the interview, he tells me the next step would be to go to NYC and do a ride along with a current employee. Ok So I agree to do this even though it is very strange that he wants me to go to manhattan when apparently this is not even part of his team. so I take off from work and go for this ride along all day in manhattan. The girl he put me with was very nice however she was very young and inexperienced. Our day consisted of 1 ten minute appointment with a current staples client and it wasn't even a decision maker. She then went back to the office and made a few phone calls. I asked numerous questions because it was very strange how their sales team worked ... it was extremely laid back and they didn't really seem like they were monitored by anyone or had any type of direction whats so ever. they came and went as they wanted and didn't get much done during the day it seemed. They didn't make cold calls more like waited for the phone to ring and socialized a lot. So after spending an entire day there and $100 later on travel I reached out to the Manager to let him know how it went. He then reached out to me to schedule another phone interview. I completed that with him and asked what the next step was he then wanted me to put everything we discussed in writing and email it to him. Then he sent me a bunch of training videos to me and wanted me to watch them and then scheduled another in person interview with him this time he wanted to me to complete two role plays with him one a face to face meeting and one a potential customer phone call again during my normal working hours. So I had to leave my current job early to get there. I've been in sales for over 15 years and the set up for this was extremely strange because I was expected to know how the company pitches, pricing, etc that I would no way of knowing from the videos I received from them. It was more what you would learn after being hired. So I did what I normally did when dealing with clients and the manager just nit picked everything I said because it wasn't in the order he would have done it. He then told me that I would hear from him no later than Friday either way. I heard absolutely NOTHING!! about a week and a half later the original recruiter called me and was like Barbara how did everything go and told her I didn't know. She said she would see what was going on and was amazed it was taking this long..... it has been a total of 10 weeks in the interviewing process and 7 interviews in at this point. She calls me back and said they just said it's not a fit and when she asked what happened she received no other feedback. I thought this was very unprofessional to waste so much time of someone's they need to rethink their hiring practices

Interview Questions

• Ok show me how you would schedule a meeting over the phone   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY).

Interview

consisted of a 5 part process. First phone screening by HR. Next is the face to face interview with manage. Once you pass the interview process you are brought in for a "day in the life" which consists of half day dialing and half day in the field going no appointments. Final stage is a phone interview with Regional Director.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Howell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Howell, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial interview with recruiter over the phone. Basic questions about resume and past experiences. Went over salary range and position. Interview was about 15 minutes or less.

Second interview was over the phone with HR business partner. Went over behavioral questions and then talked about the company. Very easy going interview with a intelligent person. Interview lasted about one hour.

Third interview was with District Manager face to face at store location. A mix of behavioral and standard interview questions. Interview lasted about one hour.

Last interview was with Regional Vice President face to face. Went in detail about previous job duties. Interview lasted about 30mins.

Overall interview process was good however it took way too long to complete. Over two months long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room. Talent acquisition recruiter called to discuss range and couldn't go above a certain amount.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (East Fishkill, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Spoke with HR Recruiter twice for two positions in a six month window and she was great. Very clear and upfront. Once I was connected with the HR Manager it was just a phone screening with a bunch of shotgun questions. Very impersonal and let me get through these questions mentality. I was passed on to a third phone screening with someone who didn't even introduce themselves and gave feedback that they didn't see me as a general manager abut still wanted to talk. Set up a meeting 45 meetings away for an undisclosed position. Not the interview experience I expect from such a company. If they treat applicants like cattle then imagine employees.

Interview Questions

• If we asked your previous peers what 3 characteristics they would say are your best?   Answer Question