Staples Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Riverside, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an email from a recruiter for an interview and sat it up for the next week. Phone interview that lasted maybe 20 minutes, small rundown of the company and store structures, fairly normal management questions... said I would hear back from her and nothing

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Roanoke, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interviews done entirely over the phone. Did not meet my direct supervisor for several weeks into the job. Typical questions from HR. Rubber stamp interview from regional director. Poor interviewing process.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples in February 2016.

Interview

Terrible. I interviewed with a recruiter, then HR, then DM. The DM literally asked me 3 questions and said, you're the guy I want. When can you move? I just need you to speak with my Regional to seal the deal. He then texted me a week later and told me he needed to meet in person to follow up with a few things. Couldn't get to me for another few weeks. ??. Okay.

Tried to schedule a meeting and he kept changing plans. So I just stopped replying. Offer was relatively low anyway, but I didn't even have a chance to negotiate because he took forever.

I ended up receiving offers from 2 other much larger retailers for almost double the salary they were offering. (Staples told me range was mid 40's. For GM!).

Interview Questions

Offered under 50k. To run a store. Ridiculous. Sears and office max offered 70-75. For similar volume stores.

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Staples (Livermore, CA).

Interview

I was hired by anoither company and the training manager was going to go work for Staples. They were looking for store manager. After not liking the company I was working for, I contacted that store manager. I had a basic over the phone interview with a recruiter and District manager. After that I met in person with other candidate's waiting at their regional office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us in this industry?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I was interviewed by a recruiter over the phone for 45 min. I then had a two hour face to face interview with the DM. I was told the next step would be an interview with a regional manager but instead I got a phone call from an HR manager. I guess that one didn't go so well because I never heard back from them even after leaving several messages.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I knew a district manager with the company and I had worked with his brother at another retailer. I expressed an interest in working with staples and was flexible with locations. I submitted a resume and an application on line for an open store. I had a phone interview after I had a face to face with the district manager. after the phone interview I had a interview with the regional vice president and regional human resources rep. I received a verbal offer within a few days and a written offer with in ten.

Interview Questions

• all questions revolved around normal retail environment questions and customer/associate situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

when salary was discussed they made an offer and I countered, they accepted my counter

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

i was recruit by a recruiter and then the dm the process was very easy and then i didnt know what happen was a total mess i got the job and i start working it was great i worked for 5 years and then they transfer me

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Staples in January 2010.

Interview

today it common that applications will have up to 4 interviews

Interview Questions

• Standard questions pertaining to a leadership position   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Staples (Salisbury, NC) in August 2009.

Interview

Online application submitted. Phone call with interview, 1on 1 interview scheduled 3 days later. District manager in on that day and sat in on the interview. Skills test given. Permission for background check complete them drug test complete. Waiting on HR to return from vacation for update

Interview Questions

• What background do you have in management.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Staples (Atlanta, GA) in February 2009.

Interview

The interview process started with the recruiter, Sr.HR Manager, DM, then Sr. Hr. Manager and RVP. The process consisted of the basic interview questions, After each interview there was lag time before I heard back from someone at Staples. After Finally interviewing with the RVP, it took three weeks to get the job offer from the recruiter. She made a offer and it was not negotiable... Offer included stock options, which they are no longer doing and bonus poetential up to 20% of your salary and decent benefits. Associates are paid weekly
     which was not bad.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, they made an offer. Take it or leave it.....