Starbucks Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

The hiring process and the background check took about 3 weeks. My Dm was very professional, and gave me a great welcoming to the store. I will start in few days, and I hope everything goes well, learn more and grow with the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
  • what do you k i.e. about starbucks?   Answer Question
  • Asked me about my previous experiences and how I can bring what I learned from other companies to Starbucks?   Answer Question
  • How can you satisfy an angry customer and make them return?   Answer Question
  • Why should I trust you to not still me   Answer Question
  • why should I trust you to not steal me?   Answer Question
  • Strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
  • How do you see yourself in the next 5 years? How would you motivate your employee? How would you identify your store financial success?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Starbucks in November 2016.

Interview

I got respond after send a resume within the same day. After that they will ask you to schedule a phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Wilmington, DE).

Interview

Applied online! Received an email from a recruiter asking for a phone interview. Scheduled a phone interview with a random recruiter from Starbucks HR! She came to the conclusion that I was not qualified for the position! Based on what facts I'm not sure! I am sure that I am more than qualified. Their loss!

Interview Questions

• Nothing that could possibly allow you to see the real person!   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

My interview process consisted of a tour to stores to get a feel of the culture. I also interviewed with 2 District managers and met with other store managers. This was very helpful to me because I was leaving a desk job to join Starbucks.

Interview Questions

• What skillsets from your current job could you apply at Starbucks? Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks in June 2015.

Interview

I did three phone interviews and two in person. Star format for answering questions worked best. It was very informal and friendly. The first phone interview was with a recruiter, the second was a follow up with him and the third was with two district managers. In person interview was with one of the previous two managers. As I had no previous retail experience I was bumped down to shift supervisor and had my last interview at another location. About a week to two weeks between interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Quick process, approximately 2 weeks. Great environment, interview was in store and free coffee was provided. Friendly and welcoming atmopshere and everything was explained to me during the interview process in terms of salary and benefits.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
    -Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
    -Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
    -What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
    -What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
    -What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
    -Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
    -Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Leandro, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was so excited to interview for this position because Starbucks is a company that will mentor you and promote growth. The interview wasn't too difficult, a lot of behavior based questions. In the interview I was positive, enthusiastic and excited to finally find a company that values employees and start a career. They basically told me that I was a risky candidate because they thought that I didn't know enough about the job and that it wasn't truly where I wanted to be. I was stunned. I was nothing but positive and excited about the opportunity. I am so very disappointed with Starbucks right now. I have idolized this company since I wrote a paper about them in college and it's pretty disappointing to have them tell me that it's not where I want to be since it truly was where I wanted to be. Good luck to other interviewers because they make it pretty hard to work at a coffee shop, even with a degree in business management.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to make a decision where you didn't know all the facts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Received a call from the recruiter. Asked about past job experiences and then sent an email to set up another phone interview the following week. Had the second phone interview with the pretty much the same questions as the first phone interview. Then I was told that they interview in a biweekly process so he would be in contact with me in the future to set up the next set.

Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Tualatin, OR) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online and did not have previous Assistant Manager (ASM) status although I'd worked with the company for 3 years before. During the interview, he changed goals to just a Barista because Starbucks prefers to move people up internally. Once I was interviewed by the District Manager (DSM's interview often for ASM's), I was sent to have another interview with the manager of the store I was now applying to as a Barista.

Interview Questions

• What is the stickiest situation you've been in with a customer and how did you get out of it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Unfortunately, I had applied for a position the company wanted to move people internally into, so I settled for Barista.