Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evesham, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Evesham, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied several times for this position, turned in a resume with 20 years of management experience, and profit & loss history, I showed a strong history of management of 80 employees with covering time off, flights to customers, overseeing 500 million dollars in sales. After several weeks I got a Telephone interview from a Starbucks Recruiter in NYC. The call lasted about 49 minutes. I was pretty much let to believe that the job was mine. I was told it would be a hands in training period if 8-12 weeks, and then after about 2 years I would be given my own store to manage, as a "Full Manager". Income, Benefits, time structure were all disclosed. I was told everything looked great, and the district managers would review my application and let me know in a week. Well the week went by, and no answer, then 2 weeks went by, and I decided to call the Recruiter back to find out what was happening. I was being proactive because I really wanted this position. Well after speaking to the recruiter again, I was told they were still waiting for a decision. It came in the way of a form letter email, and NOT as a phone call as I was told it would be... the standard "At this time you will not be moving in to the next level of the interview process, but we encourage you to apply again for another position at Starbucks." TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY AFTER ALL THAT TROUBLE! I have applied for everything that Starbucks offers from "Cashiers to Manager" and I get the same stupid run around and the EXACT SAME RESPONSE OVER AND OVER! Same Standard Form Letter Response each time. I got so frustrated with them that I called in a complaint to the HR department in the corporate office. I wanted to know why I keep getting turned down for everything!?!? They have been slow to respond to my concerns over being told how I'm a perfect fit, and then being completely turned down. I'm starting to believe that it's my age that's causing me the problems being 49, but I see others working there that are passed the retirement age. It's very strange that they publish their hiring rate is 1 new person every hour! but I can't get a base job in any division. Believe me it's their loss.

Interview Questions

• Can you work AM, PM, Weekends, and Holidays   1 Answer
  • Explain how you deal with a difficult customer and a messed up order   Answer Question
  • How do you Handel a horrible person in front of a bunch of people   Answer Question
  • Explain how you would manage a team of employees and keeping everyone interested and happy at work   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a great process. I was interviewed by two District Managers who were very engaged, experienced, and direct. They highlighted great factors and difficulties relevant to the position. We went in depth with various duties and responsibilities and what they typically expect from Store Managers. They were very friendly yet to the point; they were truly where I aspire to be in the next five to six years.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to coach an employee pertaining to customer experience?
      Why would you like to work for Starbucks?
      What skills do you have that stand out/contribute to Starbucks?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odenton, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Starbucks (Odenton, MD).

Interview

As a former U.S. service member, I encountered significant difficulties trying to secure a suitable job after entering the civilian workforce. So I was very excited when presented with the opportunity to start a career at Starbucks. I spoke with a veteran liaison and was told about the numerous benefits of working at Starbucks, and was put in touch with a store manager in my area to schedule an interview for an assistant store manager position.

After waiting an entire week for the store manager to propose a date/time to interview, citing a busy week, she was only able to offer one option that was not available to me. After speaking to the manager again to find another time, she was unable to come up with any more options, again citing having busy weeks, then stopped returning my calls and messages. The veteran liaison also did not return my calls or messages after this time.

I found my experience trying to become part of the Starbucks team was very disappointing, especially considering the difficulties veterans already face when seeking civilian employment.

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

Panel interview with District Managers and Store Managers. allows for diverse interactons, one person might pick up on something about you that the rest of the panel didn't. Also creates a group interaction atmosphere where you can open up more than with 1 on 1.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very easy if you sell yourself

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Starbucks (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Process was from within the company. It was difficult because moving up is based a lot on being known by the leaders in the area.

The process from within the company may include multiple one on one conversations with higher leaders until they believe you are ready for the next level.

From here you may need to do pre-interview to discuss what must be developed before having a real interview.

The real interview does not guarantee a position but is also useful for understanding what areas need to be focused on for development.

Interview Questions

• Examples of going above and beyond in customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Houston, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied directly through their website, which also supplies interview tips. I was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a 30-minute interview over the phone. The interview was much like what you will experience with the manager(s), asking questions about your past employment that you specifically mentioned on your resume. The conversation was pleasant and positive, but there were some challenges in the situational questioning as expected. After the phone conversation, she contacted a regional manager to see if there was a location available that was closer to where I lived, and scheduled an interview with the regional manager at the location where I was to train/manage.

I did my research on SBUX (mission statement, values, stock performance, history) and its competition to show that I really cared about the company and its success. I arrived 15 minutes early, dressed in business professional (suit/tie) with 2 copies of my resume on quality paper that I kept in a folio. From my research, I knew to wait for the interviewer to arrive to get coffee, as it would be part of the conversation. He arrived on-time and pulled out a laptop to take notes and review my resume (nobody appreciates good paper anymore), and the interview was very personable and relaxed. We already had a lot in common since we were both veterans, and we related a lot of those experiences to managing a retail store and personnel. We spoke at length about where I had lived, who/what I managed, and he asked several situational questions, and I provided as much detail as possible. Basically, be a good story-teller. Nobody wants to listen to boring stories, and definitely close-out the stories with how they apply to the question the interviewer asked.

After our long conversation, we discussed salary requirements (on my part), and I was given the opportunity to ask questions of him. ASK ABOUT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT! We shook hands, and he said he would let my recruiter know that he enjoyed our conversation and that he'd like to have me aboard. The rest of the logistics are handled by the recruiter to schedule start-dates, background checks, et cetera.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you developed a positive working relationship with a co-worker.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter said that the salary would be approximately $36,000. The manager asked my salary requirement, and I mentioned that I was making $76,000 when I was active military, and that I knew the range to be approximately $36,000. He said he was sure he could get me something better, and he did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter for the company. They went through my job history that was provided by me on my resumé and see what type of skills that I had that were necessary to fulfill my duties of those jobs. They also asked specific questions regarding on how I handle stress, troublesome conflict that may arisen with my job, and my strengths as an Assistant Manager at my current job.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Met with two district managers at different locations on separate occasions. Participated in coffee tasting, and engaged in behavioral type interview. "Describe a time when... and what did you do?"

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to handle a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Behavioral interview with a panel of 3-6 managers. They look for cery specific answers (STAR). Not very difficult but could be overwhelming with all of the managers there. Be prepared to answer questions on how you work with others, dealing with ambiguity, problem solving, coaching & training, as well as achieving results.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without not knowing all the facts?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks in April 2016.

Interview

Talk with a recruiter. They'll ask you about everything on your resume and try to make sure you know everything you said you did. then you'll move to education and customer service experience, as well as supervisor and management. after, its just situational questions.

Interview Questions

• How did you work with a partner (employee) who was struggling?   Answer Question