Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Menifee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Menifee, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

I applied online and the next morning I had an email from the recruiter to schedule for an interview over the phone. It was scheduled for another two weeks. She asked basic questions about my past work experience and why Starbucks. After she told me she’d like to schedule an interview with two DM’s. That took another week but once there they were really relaxed and gave a good introduction on why they chose Starbucks. It took 3 days to receive an offer that I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you received feedback from upper management, how did you respond?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Feasterville Trevose, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Feasterville Trevose, PA) in May 2008.

Interview

This was the absolute WORST interview I have ever had to endure. I was interviewed on the sales floor at a customer table by two men. Customers were coming & going and within earshot of our conversation. VERY unprofessional in my opinion. The higher ranking manager who interviewed me was incredibly arrogant and condescending - the other seemed to be his puppet. The "essay" questions on the written application were ridiculous. I actually couldn't wait to get out of the place and I had lost any/all interest in ever working for Star F*&ks. By the way, your coffee is bitter and excessively overpriced to say the very least. You're not interviewing people to work at NASA fellows, your a chain coffee shop. YUCK!

Interview Questions

• Most questions were obnoxious and vaguely related to the position that was available.   1 Answer

Not interested in the job any longer.

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Skokie, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

To "panel" to be an ASM, you sit down with two district managers and they ask you a series of interview questions that need very specific answers. You also lead a coffee tasting and demonstrated your knowledge of coffee.

Interview Questions

• Something about a difficult experience you had with a customer.   3 Answers

Negotiation

none- you are offered a salary and you can accept it or shut up.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Irvine, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Apply online
    Phone Interview with HR rep
    Behavioral Interview with HR and 1-3 District Managers

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had coach or discipline a employee that was derailing in his/her job description. What happened, what was the result and what did you learn from the experience? given the same situation would you handle it the same way and why?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2013.

Interview

-Applied online and received a call the next morning to schedule a phone interview.
    -Scheduled a phone interview the next day, which lasted a total of 45 minutes. Questions mostly consisted of "Tell me about a time when...." and reviewed my resume and qualifications.
    -After the phone interview, I was told that she would like to progress me on to the next step in the interview process which was an interview with two district managers in a local store.
    -I had the interview 2 days later. The interview lasted about an hour and started with a coffee tasting. You must be passionate about coffee and able to talk about it intelligently. Next, I was asked more behavioral based interview questions along with several questions that involved following the "STAR" model. Situation, Task, Action, Result. You must follow this format when answering each question presented to you.
    -At the conclusion of the interview, I was asked if I had any questions for the interviewers. Well of course I did! I asked several questions relating to store volume, labor analysis, financials, organizational structure, etc.
    -I applied for a Store Manager position, and later that day was offered a position as Assistant Store Manager. I happily accepted because it was a way to get my foot in the door with an awesome company that has great growth potential.

Interview Questions

• How have you recently contributed via community outreach and what were the results of the contributions? Starbucks loves individuals who are passionate about benefiting their community!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes negotiation was welcomed and I was able to get about 4,000 more than originally offered.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

The interview process with this company, I felt was very thorough. The first contact that I received was with the recruiter telling me that he noticed my application and wanted to verify everything that I listed on my resume. I then set up a time for the following day to go through a phone interview with the recruiter. He prepared me in telling me what was expected, such as the STAR format that Starbucks follows, and the answers that he would be looking for, wanting me to be very specific and detailed in my answers. During this phone interview, I believe that I was able to verbalize my skills and enthusiasm for this line of work. I also felt that I made a connection with the recruiter that kept us on the phone for about an hour. The recruiter than informed me that he would want to set up an interview with myself and a few District Managers who would ultimately decide whether or not to continue on with the hiring process. As there was a date set for a job fair, but all of the slots taken, the recruiter asked if he could call me back. When he did, he explained to me that he contacted the DMs that would be holding the interview and created an earlier time slot specifically for me. I was then told that if I followed my performance in which he gave me the phone interview, then I should do very well with the District Managers.

The second face to face interviews with the District Managers was inside a store. Upon arrival, I was asked to have a seat, offered a beverage while they prepared for the days interviews. I was interviewed by two area District Managers. During the process, one DM asked the standard questions while the other recorded my answers. I felt that I was very well prepared as this was the same format in which the recruiter interviewed me. I felt that I made a connection with the District Managers, but they were definitely harder to read than the recruiter who I spoke with over the phone. I was asked some follow up questions after going through the formal STAR interview before concluding. I was told that I should expect to hear back from them one way or another by Friday (the interview happened on a Wednesday) as they will make their decision by the days end.

To my surprise, I received a call later that afternoon from the recruiter offering me a position with the company. He was excited as he stated that the DMs felt that I would be a great fit with the company and that they were impressed with our conversation. He also stated that for him to have received a fast decision as that was a very good sign for me. I started working a little less than two weeks later!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you received unexpected feedback about your performance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Irvine, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Went to an open house interview session. Met with a super friendly and kind DM who put me at ease immediately and ask a few screen questions about my previous jobs and managerial experience. I was then told that I had selected to move on to another interview to be held with 2 DMs and I would be contacted to set up a time and date. I was contacted exactly a week later and have my interview scheduled for tomorrow. I am really excited about the opportunity and hope it all goes well,

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deal with an unhappy team. How did you resolve the issue and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Parsippany, NJ) in November 2010.

Interview

I had one interview with two top level executives. They asked questions based on everyday experiences within the job and how I handled it and why or what or how it was executed.

Interview Questions

• One interviewee wanted to know how I handled a situation so I explained the scenario and she got mad that I didn't get the gossip of the situation. It was a partner (employee) situation, so it involved people she was familiar with and instead of focusing on how I made the resolve in a quick, quiet and professional manner, she wanted the guts of the story. I was disgusted with her.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They said this is the typical range for ASM's and bc I have a college degree, I requested more and they said ok.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

To come in as an Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager for Starbucks, you must have management experience in hospitality, restaurant and/or retail. I was first contacted by a Recruiter based off my online application. The Recruiter than set up a phone interview between the both of us. This was an actual interview as they decide the next steps from there. I was asked questions and was asked to give my answers based on the STAR format. After passing that interview, the recruiter told me that he was going to set up an actual face to face interview between myself and two District Managers in the area. I did meet the DMs in a store and had the same type of interview format. One DM asked the questions while the other took notes on my answers. I was contacted the next day by the recruiter with an informal job offer based on whether or not my background check comes back clean. Three days later I was sent an official job offer letter from the recruiter. This whole process took just under two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to make a decision and you did not know the right answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a salary that I was comfortable with based on previous salaries and what I now know was the cap for the area. If you are impressive and the experience is there, they will pay.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

Lots of build up to be blown off a few times. Starbucks has a bunch of scripted questions for you. Odds are your manager will give the list to you ahead of time. You meet with various store managers and a couple district managers. Best case scenario: flip the script, ask them questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• None, typical crap. Do you understand a profit and loss schedule? lame stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You take it or you're totally screwing yourself over