Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Menifee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Menifee, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

I applied online and the next morning I had an email from the recruiter to schedule for an interview over the phone. It was scheduled for another two weeks. She asked basic questions about my past work experience and why Starbucks. After she told me she’d like to schedule an interview with two DM’s. That took another week but once there they were really relaxed and gave a good introduction on why they chose Starbucks. It took 3 days to receive an offer that I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you received feedback from upper management, how did you respond?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

The interview process with this company, I felt was very thorough. The first contact that I received was with the recruiter telling me that he noticed my application and wanted to verify everything that I listed on my resume. I then set up a time for the following day to go through a phone interview with the recruiter. He prepared me in telling me what was expected, such as the STAR format that Starbucks follows, and the answers that he would be looking for, wanting me to be very specific and detailed in my answers. During this phone interview, I believe that I was able to verbalize my skills and enthusiasm for this line of work. I also felt that I made a connection with the recruiter that kept us on the phone for about an hour. The recruiter than informed me that he would want to set up an interview with myself and a few District Managers who would ultimately decide whether or not to continue on with the hiring process. As there was a date set for a job fair, but all of the slots taken, the recruiter asked if he could call me back. When he did, he explained to me that he contacted the DMs that would be holding the interview and created an earlier time slot specifically for me. I was then told that if I followed my performance in which he gave me the phone interview, then I should do very well with the District Managers.

The second face to face interviews with the District Managers was inside a store. Upon arrival, I was asked to have a seat, offered a beverage while they prepared for the days interviews. I was interviewed by two area District Managers. During the process, one DM asked the standard questions while the other recorded my answers. I felt that I was very well prepared as this was the same format in which the recruiter interviewed me. I felt that I made a connection with the District Managers, but they were definitely harder to read than the recruiter who I spoke with over the phone. I was asked some follow up questions after going through the formal STAR interview before concluding. I was told that I should expect to hear back from them one way or another by Friday (the interview happened on a Wednesday) as they will make their decision by the days end.

To my surprise, I received a call later that afternoon from the recruiter offering me a position with the company. He was excited as he stated that the DMs felt that I would be a great fit with the company and that they were impressed with our conversation. He also stated that for him to have received a fast decision as that was a very good sign for me. I started working a little less than two weeks later!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you received unexpected feedback about your performance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Irvine, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Went to an open house interview session. Met with a super friendly and kind DM who put me at ease immediately and ask a few screen questions about my previous jobs and managerial experience. I was then told that I had selected to move on to another interview to be held with 2 DMs and I would be contacted to set up a time and date. I was contacted exactly a week later and have my interview scheduled for tomorrow. I am really excited about the opportunity and hope it all goes well,

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deal with an unhappy team. How did you resolve the issue and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Lakewood, CO) in February 2018.

Interview

It was really laid back. I appreciated the conversation feel of the interview and never really felt stressed or intimidated. I walked out already feeling confident in my relationship with my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging coaching conversations I had to have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Salem, OR) in July 2018.

Interview

Positive process from start to finish! It took a month and a half to hear back but I was willing to wait since I knew I wanted to work for this company. It started with an email for a phone interview, they schedule 2 to 3 weeks out so be prepared for that. The interview was great, all STAR related questions. After the interview he said he wanted me to connect with 2 District Managers in my area. I was able to get an interview a week after my phone interview. The in person was such a great experience! The same type of process -STAR related. My initial recruiter, who did my phone interview, sent me an amazing email so I could prep for the interview. In person and phone interviews lasted 45 minutes each. I got an offer the next morning that was way better then I initially expexted!

Interview Questions

• How would you like to help in the community?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you received feedback on your performance, how did that impact you?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time you had a direct impact on P & L reports?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks in March 2018.

Interview

Note: If you are applying for an ASM position, this is a transitory position and you are expected to have your own store within a year (which also comes with a pay increase, although I am unaware how much as of now). There are also bonuses involved for both ASM and SM, obviously though SM has a larger bonus that can range extremely high. (Very competitive bonus structure compared to my current job)

I applied online and received an email detailing a time for a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter which was about 2 weeks out. Phone interview day came, and the recruiter was very upbeat and friendly. She asked basic questions to find out what my work history was like and also asked a couple of STAR behavioral questions. After this I did ask a couple of questions myself, including why she joined Starbucks (Ask this question every time, it helps to understand the company culture and they honestly like to talk about how they joined) and also mentioning the pay range. She looked up the salary range and I mentioned how I'm making more currently and she said that they would be able to match me (and even went a little bit above).

Anyway, next step was the in-person interview which was a week away. It was alittle unexpected, as many others have stated, you may meet with 1 DM, 2 DMs, 1 DM + SM's etc. I for some reason thought I was only meeting with the DM but when I was called into the room, there were three other SM's as well. Also, you do get a free drink of your choosing before the interview, so I recommend you take up on that offer!

I would like to state that I never felt STAR interviews were my strong suit, as I've done so much and it's hard to recollect everything I've done but this interview they made it feel so relaxed and easy. Everyone in the room was extremely personable, upbeat and making jokes and we were all laughing like we were friends. I've personally never had an experience where everyone seemed passionate about their careers, and truly exemplified it through their attitudes.

After the hour-long interview, I walked out of there feeling really good, but still unsure since you can never be too sure. I contacted the recruiter the same day through email and she emailed me back saying she hasn't heard anything yet but will let me know once she did. Three days later, the recruiter called back and offered me the job for a salary slightly higher than my current job and of course I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Antonio, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I received an e-mail from a recruiter a few weeks later to set up a phone interview, with the recruiter. The phone interview was very smooth and the recruiter was great. I then recieved an e-mail a few days later that they wanted to set up an interview with the DM, in store. I interviewed with 2 DMs. They were very nice, and we started with a coffee tasting. There were lots of STAR interview questions, and they wanted you to be very specific. They said they would contact me pretty quickly, either way. I am still waiting; we will see.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you helped your team implement a strategy that helped or improved your goals? How specifically did you go about it and what were the results?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. About two weeks later, a recruiter contacted me via email to schedule a phone interview. Right after the phone interview, I was invited to interview with two DM's in person. The next day, I was contacted by the recruiter and then scheduled a phone interview with a Regional manager. After that weekend passed, I was offered the position at $48,000. Super excited!

Interview Questions

• lots of STAR related questions, "tell me about a time when you had a difficult situation, how did you overcome it, what was the results"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was friendly, comfortable and personal. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. There was a very specific portion when I was asked many behavioral-type questions: tell me about a time when ...., that related to how I would deal with a particular issue in a managerial role. There were about 8 questions of this type. It was a clear format to determine readiness for management of a store.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experiences developing direct reports.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Feasterville Trevose, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Feasterville Trevose, PA) in May 2008.

Interview

This was the absolute WORST interview I have ever had to endure. I was interviewed on the sales floor at a customer table by two men. Customers were coming & going and within earshot of our conversation. VERY unprofessional in my opinion. The higher ranking manager who interviewed me was incredibly arrogant and condescending - the other seemed to be his puppet. The "essay" questions on the written application were ridiculous. I actually couldn't wait to get out of the place and I had lost any/all interest in ever working for Star F*&ks. By the way, your coffee is bitter and excessively overpriced to say the very least. You're not interviewing people to work at NASA fellows, your a chain coffee shop. YUCK!

Interview Questions

• Most questions were obnoxious and vaguely related to the position that was available.   1 Answer

Not interested in the job any longer.