Starbucks Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.3

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Warning: DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT WHITE
    I arrived at the district office about 20 minutes before my scheduled interview. My name wasn't on the list in the lobby; though I had an email confirming my appointed time. Patiently waited as the receptionist called the starbucks office...time just ticking away. I finally was able to get re-confirmation of my scheduled interview (after about 15 minutes after, mind you) and was allowed up. I worried that I would appear unprofessional for arriving late, although it wasn't my fault, but I digress. I get upstairs, I am instantly greeted by the friendliest receptionist ever, I sign in, and wait.
    I am informed that my interviewers are not at the office, when suddenly one of them walks in. I am greeted by pure pretentiousness, but I don't pay it any mind. I sit and wait...and wait...and wait some more. Its 30 minutes passed my interview time, and I'm growing suspicious of the oh so wonderful Starbucks. Finally I am whisked away for the interview. It was very hasty and seemed like they were not prepared to interview someone. We began with a series of STAR questions, they were easy to answer, but I couldn't help but notice one of the interviewers was constantly checking their watch, as if they were late for something. I understand they are busy professionals, but it was rude. I felt rushed when answering the questions, and I didn't feel as if they truly listened to my answers. My recruiter was fun and excited about working at Starbucks, but these people were very dull and lifeless. There was a point during the interview where one of them tried being talking me out of wanting to even work there. He made it sound like, although I had good experience, I was wasting my time talking to them. To be completely honest, I think the reason why the interview was so miserable was because I didn't fit the description of what they were looking for. Though they preach about how the Starbucks Mission Statement and Values are what they live by, that is not the case. Again, if you're not white, don't even bother with this place.

Interview Questions

• STAR questions, mostly. A lot of questions were very similar, but worded differently.
      They will give you a scenario, and you have to tell them how it is you would or have solved it in the past. Ex: "Tell me about a time where as a manager you had to make a big negative change without flipping the switch on everyone so suddenly. Don't say that you fired someone or anything like that."
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Norco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Ten minute 1 on 1 interview in store. The manager was very friendly and mostly focused on my availability and previous experience. A few generic "what would you do if..." questions

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Fast turnaround time! Good interview questions mostly based on situational and how you would respond in that scenario. Also they asked many questions on how you would develop your teams skills and how would you drive your business. The interview process is exactly how it was outlined on their careers website. I was interviewed by 2 District Managers as a panel and our interaction was very easy and fluid.

Interview Questions

• Describe what your direct reports say about your leadership style? What was the most recent feedback you received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Union City, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Sat down with manager and asked some questions. Most of the questions were straightforward and common. Was not difficult at all! Would recommend if it is your first job. Looking forward to working here!

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Burbank, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

It was a straightforward process: I applied online, went to the store and followed up with the assistant manager, got an interview, followed up after the interview, and then was hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Starbucks?   1 Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Online application, submit up to 6 stores at once. Once in system anyone can retrieve it. Follow up with location of choice, express your availability and go in and introduce yourself to store manager.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a quick phone interview and then was scheduled for an in person interview. The manager then asked some situational questions. About the 10th day after the interview I called back and they hired me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were criticized for your work. (Work could be volunteer or school based too)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time someone was not following procedure   Answer Question
    • Tell me about someone you enjoyed working with.   Answer Question
    • Why Starbucks?   1 Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Bruno, CA).

Interview

Easy going, they want to get to know you. Be yourself and make sure you tell them how much love coffee. Used to be uniqueness they looked for, not sure now.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For management roles, there will be multiple interviews. First you may go through recruiters, who will do phone screen interviews with you. This will require a bit of scheduling if you are currently employed. If given the green light, you will move onto a few district manger interviews. They may do this one on one or as a panel. After their assessment of behavioral screening interview questions, they will contact you for next steps.

For external shift supervisors, the only interview you have is with the store manager. For internal promotion shift supervisors, it is at the discretion of store manager. If you have a manager who favors you, you can get promoted easily. If not, you will not, even if there are openings for positions in other stores.

Interview Questions

Pay too low. Try to sell you on total package(benefits, stock), but take home pay was not enough to afford cost of living. Offered less than current employer.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a great process. I was interviewed by two District Managers who were very engaged, experienced, and direct. They highlighted great factors and difficulties relevant to the position. We went in depth with various duties and responsibilities and what they typically expect from Store Managers. They were very friendly yet to the point; they were truly where I aspire to be in the next five to six years.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to coach an employee pertaining to customer experience?
      Why would you like to work for Starbucks?
      What skills do you have that stand out/contribute to Starbucks?
      Answer Question