Starbucks Starbucks-Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Starbucks Starbucks-Barista Interview Questions

Interviews at Starbucks

1,343 Interview Reviews

2.2

Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Nashville, TN) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied as a walk-in to a local Starbucks - submitted my application - and was called by the Store Manager for an interview the very next day. After my first one on one interview with a Store Manager, I was called back for a second one on one interview, with an additional Store Manager (of another store). Within the week - I was called back - to be informed that I was hired. I will be starting with them right away.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most recent time that I was late to work: what I did to help the situation, and what I learned from it?   Answer Question
  • What would my best friend say is their favorite, AND least favorite thing about me?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my starting date. As I am marrying and relocating - they were extremely supportive and flexible with me as to starting after my honeymoon. I was impressed with this level of corporate flexibility.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Pasadena, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online to 5 separate locations. I followed up for weeks before I finally got an interview at one of the locations. When I came in for my interview, they gave me a free drink before we got started. I just had the interview with the manager inside the store at one of the tables. The interview was about 30 minutes long. The interview consisted of situational questions. I was able to answer some of the questions very well, but unfortunately some of my other answers were mediocre. The manager told me I would hear back from them in a couple days for a decision. I didn't hear anything back from them. I followed up for 2 weeks and then they told me they filled the position already.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here at Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a positive experience with a customer?   Answer Question
    • How did you responds to a negative experience with a customer?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you over other candidates for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Oakland, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Interview went smoothly at first. However, it got more and more awkward. Was told that I was gonna get a call within the next few days to have another interview with other store managers around the area. Never got the call, never happened.
    Go prepared. Learn about their values as a company, and be bubbly and positive. Smile. Also, have a resume with you.

Interview Questions

• What has been the worst customer service you have received?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Fort Wayne, IN) in August 2010.

Interview

Basic interview with questions concerning strengths and weaknesses and why I wanted the job. There were some situational questions that dealt with customer service. Overall, it was a fairly basic interview that lasted about a half hour followed by a phone call to accept the position. It was a neutral experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I went to a Starbucks and asked if they were hiring. I then filled out an application and attached my resume along with it. A few days later I received a call from the manager and set up an interview date. Following just basic questions about my experience and job related activities, the interview wasn't bad at all. However I was informed that I didn't get the job, but it's ok i'm just glad that I tried.

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Bruno, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Ever since Starbucks set up an online application system, the hiring process was a lot smoother. I applied years before when they were taking paper applications, and I'm sure it was a lot less efficient. Anyway, I received a call several days after applying online. The online system lets you select several preferred locations, so this location had openings.

The 1:1 interview was pretty straightforward. Mostly asked questions about your customer service skills, ethics, how quickly you learn, etc. I know this location was looking for baristas that can provide excellent customer service and that was the priority. Scheduling came secondary to that. I was offered the job on the spot and asked when I could start.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everyone starts at the same base pay - $9/hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2011.

Interview

The Starbucks interview consist of 2 one on one interviews by 2 different managers. They basically ask the same questions, but do it in this manner to throw you off your game, unfortunately this procedure worked on me because I was very confident and charismatic during the first interview, but confused, flustered, and nervous during the second. They ask basic interviewing questions like why do you want to work here and what would you do to appease an upset customer, and then a few more specific questions like what do you enjoy about coffee and asking you to describe a happy starbucks experience.

they ended up giving the position to the guy who interviewed after me, but i have a feeling their decission was partially based on gender/race because he was the only male and the only non white/hispanic person ive ever seen work at this location

Interview Questions

• The most dificult part of the interview was having to answer ever question twice to different managers, it was very difficult to convey myself eloquently after already putting so much effort into it the first time   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Richmond, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

I had called two weeks before because i was told they would be hiring in two weeks. After two weeks, i called on sunday to tell the manager I was interested and if she recieved my application.The next day she offered me an interview on Saturday at 3.00. The interview started with infornmative info on dress code, pay, and rules of the job. Then she took out a sheet and read some scenarios of what i would do if i was in that situation. Basically 80% of the interview was scenario questions and experience of my last job. After this she asked if i had any questions and then said depending on the new district manager she would call the next two days if it was okay to set up a second interview or if i was hired or not. She also had offered me a free drink, which i accepted and thanked her for. Two days later she called, and offered me the job and told me training was in a week. no second interview was mentioned, so i didnt ask. :)

Interview Questions

• Have you ever upset a customer, and what did you do to change it?   Answer Question
    • did you ever have to correct another employee, and what did you do to correct them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be confident in your answers and try to avoid "ums" and give good eye contact. Also usually its good if you have had a job before because thats what the scenario questions are based on during the interview ; your previous work experience. If you have never worked before, it would be kind of hard to get a job at starbucks.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2012.

Interview

I put an application online, the next week I visited in person. The manager was not there, but I got her card. I called a few times until I actually spoke with them. I called one more time after the manager had looked at my application was offered an interview. During the interview, the manager asked basic teamwork and personality situation questions. Know different scenarios! The manager also asked how I felt about selling things and how I felt about cleaning the bathroom and store. (You also get a free drink! Make sure you take it! Show them you like their product!) The manager called me a week later and offered me the job! (:

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you did something wrong, and learned from it!   2 Answers

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. The fact that you get a raise every 6 months makes it ok to not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Santa Ana, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied & got a call the same day for a Barista. Interviewed two days later & was called for a second interview like 5 minutes after i left the building. Second interview was the next day & it was great! If you have always been in retail/customer service world, it will be a cake walk! If you dont have customer service skills or are shy, dont apply! you have to engage with your customers! I start in a week! it happened super quick! good luck!!

Interview Questions

• Have you had an angry customer & how did you handle it?   1 Answer