Starbucks Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 31, 2017

2.2

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evesham, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Evesham, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied several times for this position, turned in a resume with 20 years of management experience, and profit & loss history, I showed a strong history of management of 80 employees with covering time off, flights to customers, overseeing 500 million dollars in sales. After several weeks I got a Telephone interview from a Starbucks Recruiter in NYC. The call lasted about 49 minutes. I was pretty much let to believe that the job was mine. I was told it would be a hands in training period if 8-12 weeks, and then after about 2 years I would be given my own store to manage, as a "Full Manager". Income, Benefits, time structure were all disclosed. I was told everything looked great, and the district managers would review my application and let me know in a week. Well the week went by, and no answer, then 2 weeks went by, and I decided to call the Recruiter back to find out what was happening. I was being proactive because I really wanted this position. Well after speaking to the recruiter again, I was told they were still waiting for a decision. It came in the way of a form letter email, and NOT as a phone call as I was told it would be... the standard "At this time you will not be moving in to the next level of the interview process, but we encourage you to apply again for another position at Starbucks." TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY AFTER ALL THAT TROUBLE! I have applied for everything that Starbucks offers from "Cashiers to Manager" and I get the same stupid run around and the EXACT SAME RESPONSE OVER AND OVER! Same Standard Form Letter Response each time. I got so frustrated with them that I called in a complaint to the HR department in the corporate office. I wanted to know why I keep getting turned down for everything!?!? They have been slow to respond to my concerns over being told how I'm a perfect fit, and then being completely turned down. I'm starting to believe that it's my age that's causing me the problems being 49, but I see others working there that are passed the retirement age. It's very strange that they publish their hiring rate is 1 new person every hour! but I can't get a base job in any division. Believe me it's their loss.

Interview Questions

• Can you work AM, PM, Weekends, and Holidays   1 Answer
    • Explain how you deal with a difficult customer and a messed up order   Answer Question
    • How do you Handel a horrible person in front of a bunch of people   Answer Question
    • Explain how you would manage a team of employees and keeping everyone interested and happy at work   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Mount Laurel, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I was offered a beverage before sitting down the the manager. She asked me a few basic questions to break the ice - Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for Starbucks, what do you know about the barista role, stuff like that. Then she asked me to describe a situation where I was given feedback on the customer service I provided. They were all situational scenarios where I had to give real examples of what I did or how I responded, what I learned, etc. Pretty easy interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to complete a task without knowing the right answer or course of action. What did you do? What resources did you have?   Answer Question

Starbucks-Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Elizabeth, NJ).

Interview

Since this was a brand new store opening I was interviewed by the district manager of another district first he asked me to talk about myself and I did. He liked my tenacity and passion when I spoke. In front of them they have a rubric of some kind and score you. I passed it because he had me interview with the manager of the store, so I had to move down because it was numerous people being interviewed as well. When I interviewed with the manager I answered all her question to my best ability and then as we talked more and more I realized that Starbucks is a place that I can see myself working at, who knew it would be 8 years later. The interview was in November 2007

Interview Questions

• Would you consider yourself a selfish or selfless person?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Edgewater, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Edgewater, NJ).

Interview

It wa super quick and easy. I got the job the next day or two. Very casual and relaxed. It was more like a conversation and you get a free drink just for being there

Anonymous Employee in Gillette, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Gillette, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a sit down with personal questions about certain situations and how you would react to them. Also asked to describe yourself, goals, and ambitions. It was myself and my current manager in the store.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an angry customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked questions about pay and benefits. I needed healthcare for my family and they met these requirements.

Anonymous Employee in South Amboy, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (South Amboy, NJ).

Interview

It was very fast. The starbucks I worked at was managed by another company--one of those travel companies that own franchises of different stores. I spoke with the manager, turned in an application, got a call the next day. They ask for a drug test, some proper ID, otherwise, it's pretty much the same as any other fast food job. By next week, I was starting training.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my schedule and if I was willing to work some weekends.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Lawrenceville, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

It was a nice interview, got along well with the manager. She said I'd get a call in a few days about the next steps (about-training), and I never got called.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to a fast paced work environment, where you must complete customers orders in a timely fashion?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in East Hanover, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (East Hanover, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

apply online and follow up by calling the store. If you know someone who works for the company make sure they recommend you. They will call you and arrange an interview. If you miss the call they will never call you again. Once you have an interview they will sit down with you in the store over a cup of coffee. They will offer you free coffee it is not a trick take the coffee. They will ask you about your experience. Over all they're looking for friendly energetic people.

Interview Questions

• How you handle an argument between two people.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Little Ferry, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Little Ferry, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

It was very laid back and the person who was interviewing me was patient and understanding. Even though I am pretty shy and quiet he gave me a chance. It was a nice environment. Not too easy or hard.

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Secaucus, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online at starbucks.com. Initially didn't hear from anyone from there for about a week, so I called the store asking if they received my application or if I can talk to the manager. Barista told me I should come in and meet the manager in person if I really wanted to work there. Barista gave me the managers schedule for the week and I came in person and introduced myself and I got myself an interview set for a later date. Casual sit down interview with the manager.

Interview Questions

• How are you working in a team   1 Answer