Starbucks Interview Questions in Ottawa, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.4

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a number of local Starbuck's and received a call from one of the store managers to come in for an interview about 1 week after applying. The interview itself consisted of pretty general customer service questions; I would definitely recommend reading the mission statement to know how you should answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you give and example of a time when you and a coworker had a difference of opinion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview was relaxed and fairly straightforward. I applied to 21 locations online and received interviews from 4 of those locations. The four interviews I got were all obtained through an in person visit to the locations I applied to. Basically, you're much more likely to get offered an interview if you visit in person with your resume and cover letter, introduce yourself and speak to the hiring manager. If the manager is hiring at that particular time, you might just land an interview. Interestingly though, there were some issues regarding having more than one interview at a variety of locations (Starbucks does not allow a store to move forward with your application if you've had an interview with another Starbucks until you receive a reply from the location you interviewed at first). This caused some confusion that was ultimately resolved.

I completed two interviews before landing a job at one of the locations. One of them was nearly an hour in length, and the other approximately fifteen minutes. They both took place in the store, and you receive a free drink when you arrive.

The questions are mostly behavioural based questions. Just generally know stuff about the company as well, such as their mission statement.

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews the same day. Both of them very polite and respectful. This people were very friendly and the interview was like a normal conversation. At the beginning they offer me a drink, and then we sat in a table in order to talk.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

There were three interviews, one by the manager, then by another store manager and a final repeat interview. They were all very friendly and interested in getting to know you and see what you would be like as a coworker.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at starbucks   1 Answer

Digital Imaging Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Was referred by a friend that worked at another location. Received call one week after applying. Smooth and comforting interview with 3-4 others in line before and after. I was lucky enough to already have knowledge about cameras because it was a side hobby.

Interview Questions

• What makes you more qualified for this position than the average person?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

They mainly asked questions about experience in any restaurant businesses, retail was good too, etc. Age was a priority because they were leaning towards college kids, older high school kids, and not freshmen/people "too old". The interviewer was nice but seemed tired, which almost made it easier because he kind of zoned out. We interviewed at Starbucks so it was slightly noisy but it was better than just 1:1 in a room alone.

Interview Questions

• "What is some experience you have in a business environment similar to Starbucks?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

I finally got a call from them after over a month after filling out the online job application. The individual who conducted the interview let me choose the time as she already chose the day and was dressed semi casual. The interview happened at one of the tables and was very casual and seemed to be more about how friendly you are.

Interview Questions

• Would you like something to drink?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

To apply at Starbucks, you have to fill out the application forms on their website, as they do not accept resumes in-store. You answer questionnaires and select up to 5 stores within your area that you would like to apply to. Once you have finished, and a manager at one of your desired stores (sometimes at stores you haven't selected as well) has chosen you, they'll give you a phone call. It's a very relaxed, friendly call where they ask you a few simple questions about your availability and what made you choose Starbucks. At the end of the call they'll offer you an interview and you set up a date. On the day of your interview, dress in semi-formal clothing and bring a copy of resume and availability. The store manager asks you (I believe) 8 set questions which include things like what is your greatest weakness, why do you want to work at Starbucks, when was a time you didn't give your best customer service, etc. They are all very generic questions. My manager told me at the end she was looking for people who made eye contact with her the entire interview, people who mention their ability to upsell, and people with background knowledge of the company (suggestion: read Howard Schult's book, Onward). Generally, you will have up to 3 interviews with Starbucks, including this first one (not always the case though, as they offered me the job at the end of my first!)

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you didn't provide excellent customer service and/or let a customer down, and what the outcome was."   1 Answer

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2013.

Interview

I sent for a barista interview and they proposed me to apply for shift supervisor which I did and two interview later I was hired !:)

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for Starbucks ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

It was really relaxed. I was nervous, but that feeling quickly dissipated.
    Super straightforward, typical interview questions. I had googled "Barista interview questions" and had already thought of answers for everything, so it went well.
    The one piece of advice I can offer, is to NOT tell them that you know anybody who works there. They call this a conflict of interest, and they won't hire you if you're friends with somebody currently on the staff. This is what effed me over when I went in. Everything went well, but I mentioned that I was friends with one of the baristas there, so I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What would make you a great addition to the team?   1 Answer