Starbucks Interview Questions in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

2.5

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online through Starbucks website to a specific Starbucks location I wanted to work at. The manager of the location called me a few days later to conduct a very short phone "interview" and invited me to do an interview in person. In person interview was very fast with simple questions (ex. "Why did you choose Starbucks?"). He said he liked me and told me that we just needed to conduct a background check online. Results came back in a day and I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to complete a task on the job that you did not want to do? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR).

Interview

IF a store manager gives you an interview they usually higher you on the spot. Unless they see something they dont like. Go into the store and introduce yourself. Be very excited and bubbly and you should get the job if there are any openings.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a problem customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

I went into a store to talk about my submitted application and was invited to a hiring fair (just the managers at a Starbucks on a Saturday morning). I went there and they picked a manager for me to talk with and she asked me about 12 questions, mostly situational about previous customer service work but not entirely. We also chatted about her history with Starbucks and the company in general.

Interview Questions

• They asked about times I had a challenge in a customer service situation I think.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated when I would be available and they were very receptive. I did not negotiate salary.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

I was asked about my experience and how I handle situations since Starbucks is big on customer service. It was 1:1 and was a pretty easy interview. The manager made it a nice process and not intimidating.

Interview Questions

• How I handle customers when they are not happy with service/drink   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

I acquired an interview at a job fair for the Portland downtown area...I was expecting to have a closed off private interview rather than sit at a table next to a customer drinking coffee, dressed in professional apparel answering questions about my strengths and weaknesses. It caught me by surprise, and luckily I interview well....but it would've been nice to be warned about that.. There was one woman that interviewed me and she was very kind and down to earth. It didn't feel like I was interviewing for a giant corporation, but instead a small company- which to me was less intimidating because I had only worked for small companies before...however that was just a matter of me being lucky with who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• I got asked questions I wasn't prepared for, because they were less common questions than I'd had in the past...

Questions such as- "How do you handle a coworker who can be dominating?" (Usually it goes "What do you do if a co-worker is doing something against company policy?")

"What is the worst customer service you have either been served with or served a person with?" ("Usually it goes what is the BEST....?"

"How do you handle a situation you don't know the answer to?"   Answer Question

I declined due to a recent move and my location being undetermined at the time (was expecting to live where the interview took place- however things changed literally ON the day of the interview.)

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a fairly quick and easy interview process. They have you do two interviews, however they ask the same questions both times. Previous experience is a plus, however they mainly just want a positive and easy-going attitude that is excited about being in the Starbucks environment. You definitely need to want to work with Starbucks for an extended period of time to be more seriously competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

I searched online to see what jobs were open in my area, chose a few stores to submit my application to and sent out my resume. I heard back from a manager relatively quickly. We set up an interview for the next week. I interviewed with the manager and was offered the job on the spot, and was asked when I could start training.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR).

Interview

I walked in to a few Starbucks with my resume after I applied online, but most of the ones I went into were not actually hiring. One store the manager was there and he said that he just hired someone, but could still meet with me and possibly refer me. I went in a few days later for my interview. I accepted the free drink and got something simple-- a tall, sweetened, iced coffee. I took people's advice on here. I'm sure part of it is to see if you know something about the menu. It also helps if your throat gets dry.

The questions were mostly 'past experience' type questions. From what I remember some of the questions were: "why do you want to work for starbucks?" I said something about loving coffee and that every time I go into starbucks my interactions are positive and I can tell that people enjoy what they do, that I want to be apart of a workplace culture like that, etc. Other questions include 'negative feedback and what did you do to fix it', 'unexpected criticism and how handled', 'unfair co-worker that you had to help and how did you handle the situation', 'unhappy customer and how fixed the situation', 'have you ever got someone to buy something that they weren't planning on buying' (I said no, but there were times when I told someone that a product was popular or that I had tried it and personally liked it), 'strongest quality', 'weakest quality' (I said in the past organization wasn't my strongest point but I have worked on it by...), 'opinion on work friendships', 'how handle down time', 'how handle multitasking', I think 'example of great customer service' was one, 'ever make a big mistake and how corrected' (I said that I never have made a big mistake, but if I did I would take full responsibility and let my manager know as soon as possible and do what I can to help') etc, 'why do you want to be a partner here', and 'time didn't want to do something and how handled'.

I asked him a few questions like, what's your management style, what do you expect from new hires in the first 90 days, how long have you worked here-- did you start out as a barista.

I knew the interview went well right off the bat when he told me that he would fax my information to the district manager to try to get me in somewhere. I got that person's contact information and left her a message. She never got back to me, however a couple of days after another manager called me and left a message telling me he talked to the guy I interviewed with and he told him it went well, and that he would like to interview me as well.

So I went in for that, got the same free drink, gave the manager my resume, which was good because he didn't have it. He told me that he was not going to ask me the same questions. He asked why I wanted to work for Starbucks and other than that he asked about my schedule and future commitments and we talked about my experience. It was pretty laid back. He told me two other people were going for the position so after I asked him questions I told him, you said two other people were in the running, so can I tell you why I'm the best candidate, and tried to sell myself. He said he would call me in a few days and let me know either way.

He never called back when he said he would, but I left a message the next day, and then again the following day. I did call a second time without leaving a message and the employee said that he was really busy lately and my best bet would be to come in and see him on '-day'. So I put on a nice outfit, not as nice as the interview, but presentable. Someone told him I was there and they said it would be about 20 minutes. I was determined though. I turned down the free drink this time and sat down and read. The manager finally came over and offered me conditional employment if my background check cleared. He said he appreciated me coming in and told me what my start date would be. He told me that he felt I would be a good fit to the team. Afterwards he told me I could get a drink so I took that offer feeling really good about myself.

So my advice-- be persistent if you need to, come in with your resume so they can put a face to a name, and even if you aren't super outgoing, make it look like you are-- smile, breathe, try to relax, and any chance you get sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were too difficult because I found questions on here prior and rehearsed out loud many times for two days.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. The interviewer asked basic customer service questions and was overall friendly. It was very relaxed and more of an informal process. As long as you are friendly and can make good conversation, you should be fine. Always be sure to accept the cup of coffee they offer you, it's important!

Interview Questions

• Describe an event in which you had to deal with an upset customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Portland, OR).

Interview

I applied online and chose 4 local locations where I would be available to work. The next day I was called for an interview by an area manager and we set up an interview for the following day. Before we hung up he asked me "why do you want to work at Starbucks?" Upon arrival I told the baristas that I had an interview with the manager and they offered me a free drink. I declined because I think it would be rude and unprofessional to drink coffee during an interview (not to mention I already had coffee that day). They told me they'd tell the manager I had arrived and I took a seat. My perception of the baristas working at that location was that they were too busy with their personal conversations to greet me promptly and I had to stand there and wait for them to finish talking.

After about 10 minutes a group of two managers were wrapping up another interview and then approached me. We greeted each other (although I didn't expect there to be two managers) and they invited me to interview in the outdoor seating area. I offered them my resume and they took it. They seemed to have a lot of worries about me going into my field of academic study for a job rather than staying with Starbucks. Questions asked included: Why Starbucks? What makes you a better canidate than other applicants? Tell us about a time there was ambiguity in a workplace situation and how did you handle it? What do you think about friendships at work? Do you have plans for any time off? How long do you see yourself staying at Starbucks/What do you see for your future career? How do you handle multi-tasking? How do you deliver high level customer service when it's busy? How do you build rapport with customers? What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

We wrapped up the inteview with me asking some questions (what is a typical day for a barista, what is the training you provide) and they said I'd hear from them by the following Friday. I never got a call or heard anything back. I purposefully didn't follow up because it doesn't seem like the right culture for me.

My perception of Starbucks was that they want you to make at least a one-year committment to barista-ing and expect you to deliver high level customer service combined with sales. They said you could be taught to be a barista and lack of experience isn't a problem but you need to have a natural ability to connect with people. It seems that you must be an outgoing, perky, "yes" person to work in this position. Overall, the managers were in their mid-twenties and still acted like they were part of a fraternity or sorority. Even worse is that their customers seem to be part of this frat-boy club too.