Starbucks Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Product Manager Interview Questions

2.4

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In general, the interview process was straightforward, composed of 5-6 interviews with people of varying seniority. Some interviewers asked questions related to prior work experience/work culture, others focused on behavioral type questions (i.e. Tell me about a time when...). Starbucks is very proud of their history, so would recommend reading what is happening in the news with them and weaving it into your responses when possible. The interview process is quite long (it took me about 1 month from initial phone interview for the in-person interviews, and the process is quite unorganized as none of the interviewers seemed prepared for the interview or asked random questions/talked about the role in depth). Also, the interview skewed toward testing more for a cultural fit, so would definitely emphasize your ability to effectively collaborate, build relationships cross functionally, and deal with/resolve conflict through your responses (these are some of Starbucks core competencies).

The recruiting process was one of the reasons I declined the offer. Not only was it extremely unprofessional, unorganized and political, but all the interviewers didn't seem to place any importance on the position or getting it filled. Starbucks is really creating a poor reputation as an employer and needs to overhaul their recruiting process to treat external candidates fairly and with respect.

Interview Questions

• -Why Starbucks/Why are you interested in this position/How is your prior work experience relevant to this role
    -What are your strengths/weaknesses
    -Tell me about a time when you had to make an important business decision and influence others quickly, but did not have any data to support your arguments   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied at a technology conference/career fair. I had an interview with a PM. She reviewed my resume and asked me to describe a project I had worked on. 2 weeks later, I had a call with the HR lead. It's been one month and I have not heard back.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?
      Why starbucks?
      Explain a project on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

I was at first excited to hear that Starbuck was building a tech startup within its walls, and during my first visit I enjoyed everyone I met with. Unfortunately, this is where the bad experiences began. I was told by the recruiter that I would hear back the same day, or the next day latest. I was told everyone wanted to work with me (wink wink, sure thing), but then I was told that I was too senior for the role. Then I was invited back to meet with another product manager about another role; she had just started on the team and seemed to have zero context for why we were meeting, and she was nothing like the others I met. It was around this time I realized everyone I was meeting was with the company 6 months or less - a bad sign. Then I started getting introduced to friends in my network who had worked for Starbucks, but all left within a year. Weeks went by with poor communication. I got the feeling it was total chaos and nobody knew what they were doing, or even what their goals were.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the starbucks app?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interviewed with 3 people including hiring manager. Generally informal and conversational in tone. Interviewers discussed their own career paths and asked situational questions. Many of the suggested interview questions are "tell me about a time when" and generally drafted from the "Starbucks leadership competencies." These include things like "achieves results, lead courageously, puts the customer first, etc." Things along the line of "tell me about a time when weren't able to complete a project, what did you do" or "tell me about a time when you had work cross-functionally"
    I was also asked a couple of case study questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to align a decision across different teams   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process took about 2 months, and they asked mostly behavioral questions. Mostly, they are looking for a cultural fit. There were two rounds of interviews (an initial and a final around) and the final round was almost a full day, with various one-on-one meetings.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

5 person interview loop. Talked to 2 of the VP's, one in my group and one outside of the group.

Not that difficult compared to Amazon or Microsoft. Not a lot time with whiteboarding.

Had to come back for a last round of interviews since I worked at Amazon to ensure I was not a typical Amazon employee to poison the Starbucks culture. Strange, but true.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a situation when there is conflict and need to work with this person who has a conflict with you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

After a phone interview with a recruiter from HR which was used to determine my interest in both the position I'd applied to online as well as two other similar positions she had open, I was brought in in-person to interview for the job I'd originally applied for. The interview was a full afternoon spent with the HR recruiter and four people from the team, followed later that week by another phone interview with another person from that same team. The interviews varied in formality and questioning. Some were more discussions of the role and the interviewer's experience, and some were similar to that but with traditional marketing interview questions put into the mix. I had both panel and 1 on 1 interviews.

I stayed in one room the entire time, and many of the interviewers were late so the whole afternoon's schedule was thrown off. Instead of leaving me in the room, the previous interviewer would just keep talking to me in a casual way. It was hard to read the tone of the interviews at that point and I wasn't sure if I should try to keep the "interview" going or follow the lead of the interviewer in speaking casually about things not related to the position or Starbucks.

It didn't seem like the team had coordinated prior to the interview and I had trouble figuring out what the exact position would be for. It sounded like different team members had different ideas of what the new role should/would be, and this made it difficult for me to use information gleaned from each interview in the next one since it was often contradictory or incomplete.

The day was frustrating because of the inconsistency of information about the role, but the scheduler and recruiter at least did a good job in making the hiring process move quickly and treating candidates well on the day of interviews at headquarters. From when I applied online to when I was rejected for the job, the entire process took less than a month, but it helped that I was a local candidate.

Interview Questions

• I was thrown off by an interview that started conversationally with a lot of back and forth and was suddenly interrupted by point-blank questions. It was hard to recover from the sudden change in tone and format.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

Didn't call on the scheduled time but she called 30 min later when I was already busy. From the emphasis put on rate I gathered the pay is not competitive. Also she booked the next call during the call but then disappeared without any notice. Lied to me that they develop website and app in-house when in fact they've been developed by 3rd parties.