Starbucks Interview Questions in Rochester, NY | Glassdoor

2.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Shift Manager, Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Looking for people with experience in a cafe, if you have experience you have an excellent chance of getting the job. They really want people who are friendly and easily sociable so that they can gain costumer loyalty, make people feel welcomed and cared for. So be confident, calm, and genuine!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Try and negotiate your hourly wage.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Very brief. Pretty much grab a cup of coffee with the manager and answered typical interview questions. I was a re-hire, so it went very smoothly and we discussed changes within the company since my absence.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions concerning customer service, dealing with irate customers, cash handling experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Brief, and more conversational rather than being a stringent interview process. You apply online and hope to get a call from the store you selected. There are people coming in every single day asking about jobs.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

When I got to the location to interview, I was offered a drink of my choice by the cashier. I asked for water, and while the store manager made it up, we made small talk. I was then asked to have a seat by a side table. After we shook hands, we began the interview, with various scenario-based questions being asked. At one point, the assistant manager trainee took over the interview, and also began asking me questions. I was fortunate in that the Assistant Manager trainee was giving me feedback on my answers (one such instance being "I like the solution you were able to find for your problem.")

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you treated a co-worker with fairness and respect, even though they had not treated you in a similar fashion.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make at work where you didn’t know the right answer or course of action.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you received unexpected critical feedback about your performance. How did the feedback affect your performance?   1 Answer
    • What do you do to make sure tasks get completed on time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was initially offered minimum wage ($7.25). I requested $8.25, citing my 6 years of prior experience in the retail/service industry. The manager accepted. After the wage was settled, I waited 3 weeks for a background check from Starbucks Global Security to clear. After the background check cleared, I was asked to come in for orientation the next day.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Online application company wide, submit one first walking into a store to fill out a paper application is a wasted trip.
    Follow up in 1-3 days, ask for the store manager (not shift supervisor), or stop in and drop of a resume. More than one Starbucks manager has told me they always interview the people who care enough to follow up.
    Actual interview is rather standard, research Starbucks and stress customer service. Ultimately Starbucks is selling customer service in the disguise of coffee, if you are passionate about providing great service make sure your interviewer knows.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starbucks (Rochester, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I filled out an application in person and was interviewed on the spot. The manager was very friendly and had an overall pleasant demeanor. After asking me some questions, he introduced me to other staff members and described what my work schedule would look like and a walk through of possible obstacles I might encounter working as a barista.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in the service industry before?

Describe a time when you have had to handle stress.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negociation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greece, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Greece, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online, providing normal application information and also lengthy personality test. Three days later I received a call from a store manager to schedule an interview. We scheduled it for that week. I arrived about 10 minutes early, wearing a nice pair of jeans and collared shirt, told the barista at the counter that I was there for an interview and she asked me if I wanted a drink. I asked for a grande Pike Place roast and they gave it to me on the house. I sat down at a table. Five minutes later a manager greeted me and sat me down at another table with another manager. The one asked the questions, while the other took notes the entire time. The manager asking the questions would ask one and then stare out the window at passing cars as if daydreaming. The interview lasted 15 minutes and they said I would receive a call within 10 days if I had got the job. They never called.

Interview Questions

• What drink did you get? ("Oh really? Just a coffee?)   1 Answer
    • If your previous manager were to describe you in one word, what would it be?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   Answer Question

Barista, Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Penfield, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Penfield, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Extensive Personality Test online, Lots of Waiting, While you apply directly to 5 stores then it goes district wide. If you get a call up to 3 months later, you get 2 interviews

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite thing about yourself?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Little Negotiation