Starbucks Shift Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 27, 2017

2.3

206 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Olathe, KS) in September 2016.

Interview

You get a free beverage then you sit down and have a casual chat with the manager. They ask you a few questions about your personal schedule, due to the fact that they are prob looking for some specific times shift wise for you to work, If you are open to working weekends, or ungodly open shifts which are crazy early but honestly the best shifts.
Then they move onto some customer situations and how you would handle those situations. Then some sales questions,
Remember a interview is a chance for you to decide if you match personally with that leader. There are lots of different Starbucks in the area and lots of different leadership styles, make sure that this store fits YOUR needs and that your not adjusting to its needs.

Interview Questions

• Customer sue is very upset her latte wasn't made correctly. What would you do?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Questions regarding incidents and customer service moments are reviewed. Specifically, moments when customer service could be improved, how, why was it not good to begin with. What skills set you apart for this job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you failed to make a customer happy or ruined the customer experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Candid interview. Very realaxing. SM asked a few question. Went for second interview three days later. Called back three days later. SM said shes waiting for my background check to clear.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst experience I had with customer service and how did I deal with it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Working there was all I needed.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Sacramento, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I spoke with a manager at one store, she referred me to another store manager for a 2nd interview. That manager and I spoke and she hired me, but for a different store. The store I ended up working at I had never met the store manager. The entire process was very odd, and it took over a month to get on a schedule.

Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Woodland Hills, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied on a friday and got a call monday to come in for an interview on tuesday. I sat down and was offered a free drink. She asked the basic questions like, "why do I want to work for starbucks", "What would you do if you weren't getting along with another partner", "How would you handle multiple tasks that need to be done", a lot of situational questions. She talked a lot about the company and the benefits. Make sure to mention teamwork, they are very big on that. She told me that she wanted to hire me right now and got my birth date to run a background check which takes a few days so now I am waiting to hear back about that.

Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Starbucks (Roswell, GA).

Interview

Promotion is typically internal, and is based on daily performance. You can sit with your manager and talk about the possibility of moving into a supervisory role, and you can begin a development plan with your manager to work toward your goals.
    The interview process is very relaxed, since you most likely already know your manager and have been through the weeds with them. They know you and know what you are capable of in your current role, so talk about what you see yourself doing in the future to better store goals, how to assist is driving sales, motivate the team, maintaining inventory, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had an upset customer. How did you defuse the problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight forward, asks standard interview questions. Read up on the company dress code and try to fit in to make yourself a more appealing candidate. While not a store manager, you will still be in a leadership position so ask questions about the relationship between baristas/shift supervisors/store management/district etc. If you want the job, ask questions a leader feels are important.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Great interview! I met with the store manager and he first asked me to describe myself and my work experience (which is standard), then asked about 6 - 7 good questions. We had a good discussion and I left feeling very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• How do handle a change in company policy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Augusta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a week later for an interview with the gm. I originally applied as a batista, but at the interview, she told me she thinks I'm fit as a supervisor (though I have never worked at a Starbucks before or any sort of coffee shop) because of my previous experience in management at a local restuarant. The interview was more of telling me what I am expected to do, and some questions like why starbucks? How would I handle an unhappy customer? What was my regular clientele like at my previous job? Pretty simple questions and it's best to be yourself and honest. I was offered the job on the spot and I am now currently waiting for my background check to follow through.

Interview Questions

• Why starbucks?
      How do you handle unhappy customers?
      What was your regular clientele like at previous job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Although I applied for the shift supervisor position once I arrived I was told right away that I would not be considered for that position and would only be considered for a barista position. The explanation was my retail management experience was irrelevant since starbucks is such a superior company in terms of quality and customer service. She said it in a way that came across as rather insulting. And had I known I was not interviewing for the position I applied for I would have declined the interview. She really didn't ask many questions about me or my experience since she made it clear she didn't care about my experience. I was told that 90% of the job included cleaning and she emphasized that it was very "gross" work like "constantly scrubbing toilets". I have had friends who have worked as baristas and that was not how they described their jobs. Other than that she asked if I was ok with constantly receiving criticism stating that pointing out what your shortcomings are is the only way to improve. While I understand the need for constructive criticism the way she described their process seemed to only focus on the negative and never recognize anyone's achievements. At the end of the interview she asked for my birth date including the year. When I pointed out that it wasn't legal to ask for information on a persons age before hiring them she claimed that the application I filled out online gave consent to do so and that if I didn't I wouldn't be considered for the job. I was still waiting to hear back from another company at that point so I gave her my birth-date thinking if I absolutely had to I would work there. Luckily for me I got an offer for a store manager position at another company so when I got a call back with an offer for the barista position I not so politely turned it down and made sure to let her know that I was going to be a manager elsewhere.