Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2017

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

I was internal, so the process was different. You have to go to panel interviews repeatedly until you've told the district managers what they want to hear, in the same wording they want to hear. If you say the right answer, but your wording was off, you won't get the promotion.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where the actions you took were not successful in resolving the issue.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Warning: DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT WHITE
    I arrived at the district office about 20 minutes before my scheduled interview. My name wasn't on the list in the lobby; though I had an email confirming my appointed time. Patiently waited as the receptionist called the starbucks office...time just ticking away. I finally was able to get re-confirmation of my scheduled interview (after about 15 minutes after, mind you) and was allowed up. I worried that I would appear unprofessional for arriving late, although it wasn't my fault, but I digress. I get upstairs, I am instantly greeted by the friendliest receptionist ever, I sign in, and wait.
    I am informed that my interviewers are not at the office, when suddenly one of them walks in. I am greeted by pure pretentiousness, but I don't pay it any mind. I sit and wait...and wait...and wait some more. Its 30 minutes passed my interview time, and I'm growing suspicious of the oh so wonderful Starbucks. Finally I am whisked away for the interview. It was very hasty and seemed like they were not prepared to interview someone. We began with a series of STAR questions, they were easy to answer, but I couldn't help but notice one of the interviewers was constantly checking their watch, as if they were late for something. I understand they are busy professionals, but it was rude. I felt rushed when answering the questions, and I didn't feel as if they truly listened to my answers. My recruiter was fun and excited about working at Starbucks, but these people were very dull and lifeless. There was a point during the interview where one of them tried being talking me out of wanting to even work there. He made it sound like, although I had good experience, I was wasting my time talking to them. To be completely honest, I think the reason why the interview was so miserable was because I didn't fit the description of what they were looking for. Though they preach about how the Starbucks Mission Statement and Values are what they live by, that is not the case. Again, if you're not white, don't even bother with this place.

Interview Questions

• STAR questions, mostly. A lot of questions were very similar, but worded differently.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

The DM was late for the interview because she was meeting a man in the location. I observed her hugging him, visibly upset. Then she had me fill out some essay questions on paper. I asked about basic expectations like what stores should comp YOY, and she couldn't answer. She didnt seem to know much. Very odd experience.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with being a working manager... A couple hrs a week to schedule, otherwise working on the floor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Fast turnaround time! Good interview questions mostly based on situational and how you would respond in that scenario. Also they asked many questions on how you would develop your teams skills and how would you drive your business. The interview process is exactly how it was outlined on their careers website. I was interviewed by 2 District Managers as a panel and our interaction was very easy and fluid.

Interview Questions

• Describe what your direct reports say about your leadership style? What was the most recent feedback you received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Dayton, OH) in November 2016.

Interview

I filled out an online application, they requested a resume, I sent the resume and then a recruiter called and scheduled a telephone interview and was sent an email saying " the decision has been made to not move you forward in the process." So I did not get a face to face interview based on a phone interview with a recruiter who wasn't located anywhere near the area and didn't know which store she was interviewing for or anything about the area she was hiring for, also she didn't have my resume in front of her at the beginning of the call and seemed distracted and disinterested in me from the beginning, I was prepared to answer behavioral based questions but was not asked any. I kind of felt like maybe I wasn't young enough for the job, at least that's the feeling I got

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online through the Starbuck's website. The first step of the process was and interview with a recruiter over the phone. The second step is an interview with two district managers. There was a week or so between each step.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calhoun, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Calhoun, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

First, they emailed me saying they wanted to go further with an online assessment after I filled out an app online. Then a recruiter called me and said I had a "very impressive resume" and would like to schedule a phone interview with me. Phone interview went well and turned into a face to face with 2 district managers at a store that was over an hour away from me. I thought it went really well. It was only supposed to last an hour, ended up lasting 2. They kept telling me how much I would love to be leaving at 2pm for the day, instead of when I leave now to go home with my current job (anywhere from 3-5am as a restaurant manager). They told me about the vacation, 401k, asked a lot of questions, and even gave me their cards if I had any questions. Alllllll of that, just for the recruiter to call me 3 days later and said that they thought I wasn't a "good fit" IN A VOICEMAIL. When I called back to ask what their reasoning was, she just repeated herself again with the "not a good fit" bit and refused to answer my question. But then rushed me off the phone. I have no clue what happened and I thought the whole thing was rather strange.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online multiple times and did not hear from anyone. I finally contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn and expressed my sincere desire to work at Starbucks. He put me into contact with another recruiter who finally fulled my application(s) and started the process. There was an online scenario part to the application on how you would coach and handle situations. The recruiter set up a 30-40 min phone interview. He put me at ease and asked me about myself. The recruiter I had was very funny and personable. I was contacted about a week later and told I had passed the initial conversation and would be meeting with a few district managers. I met them in a cafe location and for about an hour they asked me STAR/CAR scenario questions. They were very nice and friendly, they took a lot of notes. Be very specific in answering, ensure your answers are STAR/CAR responses. I was contacted 2 weeks later by the recruiter and offered a position. The salary offer was very generous, and more than what I had read online. I thought starbucks had a hard rule on salary caps, but there IS some wiggle room depending on where you live.

Not that I had anything to hide, but on the background check they are very generous for past discretion. The only automatic disqualifies are very recent things (within the last few months) and anything violence related. Starbucks has one of the most generous background processes out of almost all corporate places. The CEO Howard Schultz actually lobbied to have the "Felony/misdemeanor" box taken off applications.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about instituting change? How is your experience in P&L? Walk us through a typical day at your current job. Tell me about a time in which you had a disagreement with one of your employees. Tell us about your background regarding training others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter/ Group Interview with 4 Dm's--Then an interview over the phone with the Regional Director /--then an offer was made after all of the interviews. the process was straight forward and a positive experience. Research the company and explain in detail your past experiences.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter, discuss background and experience. Face to face with a district manager in a store. Standard behavioral based interview using the SARI method of interviewing. Hiring managers looking for upbeat personalities, demonstrated success in leadership and someone who can carry the banner of the company's values.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a time where you had to deal with a frustrating or stressful situation at work at how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Describe a situation where the actions you took were not successful in resolving the issue.
Starbucks Store Manager Interview San Francisco, CA STAR questions, mostly. A lot of questions were very similar, but worded differently. They will give you a scenario, and you have to tell them how it is you would or have solved it in the past. Ex: "Tell me about a time where as a manager you had to make a big negative change without flipping the switch on everyone so suddenly. Don't say that you fired someone or anything like that."
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Cleveland, OH Are you okay with being a working manager... A couple hrs a week to schedule, otherwise working on the floor.
Starbucks Store Manager Interview San Francisco, CA Describe what your direct reports say about your leadership style? What was the most recent feedback you received?
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Dayton, OH What can you tell me about the Starbucks culture?
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Seattle, WA Why Starbucks?
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Calhoun, GA What do you do to multi task.
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Calhoun, GA Tell me about 2 different instances where you had a problem with an employee.
Starbucks Store Manager Interview San Francisco, CA How do you go about instituting change? How is your experience in P&L? Walk us through a typical day at your current job. Tell me about a time in which you had a disagreement with one of your employees. Tell us about your background regarding training others.
Starbucks Store Manager Interview New York, NY Behavioral Questions//Star questions
Starbucks Store Manager Interview Q: Describe a time where you had to deal with a frustrating or stressful situation at work at how you handled the situation.