Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Albany, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application they had emailed me, I was scheduled for a phone interview. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. They said if they were interested, would contact me within a week.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe myself and then was my previous job responsibilities.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks in June 2015.

Interview

Was offered my drink and it never arrived. Standard Behavioral interview questions. Overall very standard with little interest in anything more than going through the questions. One DM was checking their phone through most of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a decision for a customer that was not financially beneficial to the company.   Answer Question

Inconsistent with compensation expectations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Same thing as everyone else. Application, online job tryout, phone interview, than in person panel with the District Managers.

A disclaimer would be appropriate: Starbucks, without a doubt, is an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME company to work for. They treat their partners and manager wonderfully. I had a great time interviewing, but after some research, it just wasn't a good fit for me. I just recently came out of a very toxic work environment where I was a manager in an unrelated industry. After a lot of research, I've found that external management had a higher turnover rate (80%). Why? Well there's a little bit of turmoil within the Starbucks brand with management being hired from the outside.

Seems that many partners are unhappy with this, and lock in on external managers. After my most recent management experience in a volatile environment, I don't think I have it in me to tolerate bad attitudes and bullying baristas. On top of that, the demands of running a Starbucks are pressuring enough. Wouldn't want to come into a reputable company so jaded. Not worth the risk of being thrown to the wolves. Maybe later down the road, but for now I'm actually considering going back into an entry level position and avoiding management for a little while. Hopefully this will not deter someone else with thicker skin to tackle the position. I'm sure it's a great experience, and a lot of growth potential. Thanks so much, Starbucks. Just not mentally where I need to be for me to be of any good service for your brand.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions regarding your work history, and ability to lead. Also very community based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter. Interview scheduled the following week with 2 DMs. Offer the day following the interview. Conversational interview with behavioral questions. My best advice - Be yourself. They don't expect you to know everything. Very nice company that values good communication. I can't wait to start! Got an offer and waiting on the background check to come back. They said that it can take about a week. I have really enjoyed interviewing with Starbucks. It has really given me an amazing impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. How did you make a financial impact.
      2. Community service questions
      3. Explain a time when you used different leadership styles for people with different motivations.
      1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Interview

I applied on their website. I was emailed a virtual job tryout. I guess I answered in line with their beliefs because I received an email for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you implement change into your organization?   Answer Question
    • Why are you looking for a new position?   Answer Question
    • How many people have you managed in the past?   Answer Question
    • Do you hire and recruit at your current position and how do you go about finding a diverse pool of people?   Answer Question

Could no negotiate a salary.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Starbucks uses Time Limites Assignments. Very prolonged interview of 6 months where you are placed in a role prior to a promotion. This is the standard way people get promoted to a new role. The part of this that I did not like was you did the job for an extended period without being paid for the level you were working at.

Interview Questions

• What are you most passionate about   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

My interview was relatively quick. I did had bad experience with the Recruiter that I interviewed with. He did give me false information about the offerings that the company offered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had saw someone doing something they weren't supposed to? What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Recruiter for the area you live in (in my case Los Angeles) sent these 2 links via e-mail:
    -Phone interview scheduling calendar (Schedule date and time you're available)
    -Virtual Job Tryout (1 hour long, have calculator if needed (basic math) for P&L statement
    I had 2 phone interviews the first wanted to know:
    -About you, any accomplishments, Why you want to work at Starbucks and what you know about the company
    Second interview: (have questions ready! He asked me twice if I had any questions for him)
    -STAR questions
    1.) Give a specific example of a customer confrontation. What did you do to handle the situation, and what was the end result.
    2.) Tell me about a time you had a partner or team member that had a performance issue. What was the situation and what did you achieve?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a financial accomplishment, be specific, and what strategic steps did you take to achieve this goal.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Interview

Can be lengthy. It started with the online application and if they are interested you will be asked to complete a virtual job tryout. If you pass that you move onto a phone interview. The next step is an in person interview with 2 dm's.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Might be a little room but not much. They are really competitive and realistic. They will probably ask you expectations in phone and in person interview. They will tell you then if that is in their range.

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Tacoma, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

The process was quite easy, however, it was a little lengthy. What really helped me was networking. I was able to connect with the District Manager that ended up hiring me on LinkedIn. We then were able to meet face-to-face at a career fair and by the time I interviewed I felt as if I were interviewing with a peer. The Starbucks team is very approachable, in my experience, and I was also able to sit down with a couple of other store managers and pick their brains and even do a mock interview with one.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time that you took steps to improve a customer service issue."   1 Answer