Starcom Worldwide Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 26, 2017

2.8

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First, there is a phone screening where they are looking to test your math skills, general communication skills, and just understand your experience.

Then, there is an in-person interview where you meet with 3-5 people about different skills, topics, etc. It's all fairly behavioral and fit based. Make sure to come with questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you lead a team? What about a time where you showed leadership? Was there a time when you were not a specific team leader but you acted as one? What did you do and how did you lead?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Some ability to negotiate on salary.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Was contacted by HR for a phone Interview a few days after I applied. Phone interview went well, standard fit questions and a few simple arithmetic questions, was contacted again to come in for an in-person interview about 4 weeks later. Met with three individuals in the finance department. Interviewed for an hour each with each of the finance people. Called HR after 3 weeks to follow-up and I was told that they were still conducting the interview process. Received a standard form rejection email, as well as a phone call, about 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• What else should I know about you that's not on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

Phone interview and then four separate interviews with various employees at various levels in the organization. It was a long day and many questions were repeated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to go above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question

Media Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

10 minute quick screening phone interview, behavioral questions and 2 simple calculation questions

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

HR Phone interview

Followed by in-person interviews
    4 consecutive, with rising levels of management, who then collectively give their grade/approval.

Interview Questions

• Challenges you faced in a team setting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Associate Media Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Detroit, MI) in October 2010.

Interview

This is the first job where the hiring process went "by the book. I found posting via Indeed alert, I applied online, got referral from a former colleague to the HR & hiring managers. Phone screen with HR, in person with hiring mgr, phone interview with managing director the following week, then I got an offer shortly afterward. People are extremely friendly and nice, it's interesting work and the company overall is currently getting a lot of new business wins, so a positive atmosphere. Starcom strongly emphasizes training and offers many learning opportunities. Like most media agencies, a very high percentage of female employees and seems very understanding about work/life balance issues.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate for more vacation. Holidays and flex days are pretty generous as well.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Detroit, MI) in May 2010.

Interview

I was applying to a media internship position. The interview was much more technical than expected. Around three media math questions were asked. One was a basic percentage problem, while another was a division problem. It was instructed to answer as quickly as possible (of course without sacrificing quality). Few behavioral questions were asked as well. Overall, though, the interview was very brief.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in April 2010.

Interview

I was called while I was on vacation and the HR woman asked if I was available for a 10-minute phone interview the next day. I accepted. The phone interview was just that, 10-minutes long. There were quite a few behavioral questions and a couple of math questions. There was not a ton of time to shine in regards to my personality because the interview was very straight forward. After the phone interview, I got a call within that week to come in for a half-day long interview process in-person. The in-person interview consisted of (4) 45-minute long interviews with current SMG employees, and they rose in seniority/title throughout the day. After the interviews were done, an ambassador took us to lunch and answered any questions we had. It was nice, but it was grueling. If you get to the in-person interview, be prepared to start forgetting who you said what to, it's a lot of talking about yourself. A lot.

One more thing to note: each person you interview with has a "type" of interview with you. For example, one person focuses on leadership, the next on team-work, the next on media, and then organization.

Interview Questions

• Name a campaign running right now that you are impressed by and why.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you've had to use Microsoft excel. How did it help you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be prepared for the offer to be non-negotiable. The starting salary is INCREDIBLY low, but they can get away with it because it is one of the most recognized, reputable agencies in the media world. If you're not willing to work for what they offer you, they have a thousand other applicants lined up out the door who are willing to work for that amount. Take the offer, gain experience, network with some of the most reputable people in the industry, and move on.

Marketing Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

The initial interview started with behavioral questions to assess teamwork skills, and also involved a few questions about times when you had to make a difficult decision or meet an extreme deadline. Following these questions, the interviewer asked three relatively simple math questions to be answered without a calculator.

The second interview, also on the phone, repeated similar questions to the first interview regarding team activities, what was expected from the internship on both ends, and what your favorite ad campaign was. Total time was about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to make a difficult decision?   1 Answer
    • What is 3/5 of 100? What is 70 percent of 1000?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starcom Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in December 2009.

Interview

Phone interview, 2nd round at the office with one person. The office was a fashion show. The people seemed nice though.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to convince your manager of an idea that he didn't initially agree with   Answer Question