Starr Companies Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

2.7

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Claims Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Very Quick. Applied online. Had a phone interview with HR. A week later I had an in person interview set up. I interviewed with two different people and about a week and half later had an offer. HR kept me up date throughout the entire process and answer all questions I had pertaining to the postilion.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you don't like about your current job?
      What is one thing you enjoy about your job?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied for this position through their career website and received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. It was a nice brief chat with the Director and they sent me a bunch of task to be completed.

1. Copy of your transcript
    2. Complete the attached New Hire Funding assignment
    3. Draft your top 3 professional goals in the ‘SMART’ format for the next 36 months
    4. Please consider reading Peter Bernstein’s “Against The Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk”
    5. Draft an instructional workflow related to a subject/interest/hobby that you know well with sufficient detail that it could be used as a teaching reference.

The new hire funding assignment wasn't that hard but I didn't do very well lol. Anyway, AFTER submitting the assignment they asked for a 1:1 interview in NYC and I was interviewed by five people in total. They were really nice and it was a pretty relaxed interview except for one person who asked questions like I'm a criminal and I feel like Im in the interrogation room lol why so angry bro? hehe.

In the end of the interview session, I finally met with the director and without interviewing me, he said that he was disappointed in me and asked "how well do you think you are doing on the assignment?" I was like..."err not so well"....one of the interviewers already brief me on my not so well assignment, thats how I know haha. He went, "You didn't do well". Okayyyy. He continued by saying that how easy the questions are and Im not good in critical thinking and have no common sense etc...haha. I accepted his criticism with an open heart, seriously.

Now here's the thing, I was a little bit confused and disappointed because I have spent money and time traveling to NYC just to hear criticisms on my poor assignment that I have SUBMITTED a week prior to the interview. If you think I didn't do well on the assignment and Im not smart enough for the position, why in the world did you invited me for a 1:1 interview in the first place? I wasted my time and money just so I could travel a day before the interview (I do not live in NY or NJ). A simple rejection letter will suffice and we all could have skipped all the hassles.

Anyway, I guess the positive side of the interview is, it taught me to be more prepared and get as much information as I can about the position during phone interview to avoid making a mistake in choosing a role in a company. Overall, it was a great experience meeting all the team members they are lovely and professional! However, please dont do that to other people and dont be so angry when asking questions! lol

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to an onsite interview with a person from HR and a manager. The HR person was very nice and I enjoyed my interview experience with her. The manager barely looked at me during my interview with him and seemed uninterested the majority of the time.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

It was very straight forward. First, it was a brief phone interview and then an in-person interview where I was able to meet the rest of the team. Overall it was relaxed and informal.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and you in your marketing role.   1 Answer

Underwriting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through employee referral, was contacted within 1 week for an interview the following week. Interview consisted of 4, 30 min meetings- 1 with HR, 3 with managers/ directors/ people the position works under. I thought it was very well organized. It was great to meet with people I could potentially work with, as to get a better feel for what the position would actually be like. HR contacted me within a week of the in-person interview to request a background check and let me know they're putting together an offer for me. Seamless, easy process and great getting to know the people I could be working for.

Underwriting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief email scheduling on site interview with HR, second round one week after. Two interview days were well planned and organized. Questions more focus on background and past experience. Unlike other reviews on associate program, I have very positive experience and HR is very professional and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Pick areas of interest, follow-up interview scheduling will based on candidate interest.   Answer Question

Junior Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process commenced with a phone screen with Talent Acquisition Manager & then I was called in for an in-person interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager and HR Director. I thought the interview itself went well, as they mentioned they would follow up in regards to next steps but I never heard anything. Considering the reviews the HR department received on this site alone, I'm not surprised.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview with HR And the hiring manager. Also ended up interviewing with a few other people in the group and the Chief Actuary. Good discussion about the role and what my contributions would be. Not a lot of technical questions but more of a general discussion on my prior work history and skills. Ended up going to lunch with the hiring manager and also coming back the next week to meet with an executive.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and notified within a few weeks to come in. Went in and spoke with just one manager. Very respectful and straight forward about the job. Laid out all of the day to day challenges one may face and the salary that was offered. Took me around and showed me the different departments of the office.

Interview Questions

• Probably the basic knowledge of risk management. And some background info on the company itself and who they cover.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Probably the most unprofessional series of interviews I had so far in my career. First interview was cancelled a few hours before on the day of due to a scheduling conflict (good thing I often check my emails). Second attempt, I arrived on time only to be told to come back in two hors due to yet another scheduling conflict. When I finally met with the HR representative, the interviewer was insulting stating that the company was looking for a "mature" worker, "not some 20 something year old" to help support the team and back-up support the senior executive. (Let's put it this way: if it was not for a tight job market, I would have completely blown off the follow-up interview.) Second interviewer was at least pleasant and on time.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain one of my bullets on my resume regarding one of my previous positions.   1 Answer

Didn't appreciate the ageist tone of my first interview. I also know two former employees who commented the company in general was not supportive off its employees.