Starwood Hotels & Resorts Interview Questions in Stamford, CT | Glassdoor

2.9

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Recruiting Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT).

Interview

This team was desperate for leadership. They said, "we're just keeping the lights on." The applicant tracking system did not enable them to do their jobs. Most hires are made by temp to full time conversions. My advice to anyone applying is to get in as a temp, if you can survive working without benefits. They are too disorganized to hire directly.
    The clincher was to write the VP and each interviewee a thank you note and receive 0.0 acknowledgement. I asked my friends who work there and they said, "That is the culture here; they don't respond to candidates." Being acquired by Marriott can only be an improvement.

Interview Questions

• How would you structure the team? How would you improve our processes? How do you make a cost benefit analysis to gain resources What else do you want to know?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT).

Interview

HR phone interview followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Face to face interview with the hiring manager which turned out to be really comfortable, he talked to me like we were old friends but maybe that was a trap. Didn't ask as many questions as he did spend talking. Gushed over all the perks to really make you want the job and said I would hear back within a week to set up a time to do the test portion. Made me feel confident that I was definitely coming back but after 3 weeks I got in touch with HR only to find out that I didn't make it to the next round. I'm not sure what happened, left feeling confident but apparently the hiring manager did not feel the same.

Interview Questions

• Pretty general questions; why this company, described current and past job responsibilities etc.   Answer Question

Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT) in February 2014.

Interview

Initial interview set up through Recruiting Firm which was handled professionally.

Interview Questions

• Started interview with: I'm not going to interview you for the role you applied for as earlier this week I am in a new role and we need a senior manager able to help the inexperienced PMs with providing guidance.   3 Answers

Digital Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT) in November 2013.

Interview

The process is very simple and the recruiters are the best.

However, I am really disappointed with the interviewers, let me explain, no idea how the hiring/chosen process works in there, very confused to say the least.

One of the interviewers, and I will quote here, at one point of the interview told me "we are just trying find a group that you will be working, we have several openings that you will be an excellent fit.". Which sounds terrific, if they would move forward with an offer.

Also, I got a chance to talk with the CTO or VP of tech (not sure his position), but he was the one overseen the group, he was really arrogant and he was talking on the phone during our interview, what a terrible experience right there (I got really demotivated after that).

Anyways, as I was expecting, after a couple days I got a generic email saying they will not offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• There were not overly difficult questions. To be honest, the majority of the questions were behavioral. "Tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

To say the interview process was disjointed would be an understatement. Sure, almost all of those I spoke with were very nice, but following a phone screen and what would otherwise have seemed to be a final in-person interview, I was brought in to meet the rest of the team. Most of those I met were professional, courteous, and respectful of my time during the actual interview process, but there were a few participants that were particularly disengaged and acted as though they felt they were wasting their time speaking to me.

The biggest problem? I have never actually received a response from them regarding their decision. Of course, after a while, you send follow-up emails inquiring about the process, but to not receive a reply even to those emails is such poor form, it's a little hard to believe. Whether I just got lost in the shuffle or there was a deliberate choice not to contact me, who knows, but contacting the interviewer with the outcome simply isn't that much to ask and is generally viewed as a small courtesy given the interviewer's personal investment of time and energy. A very disappointing experience.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT) in July 2013.

Interview

Career site was easy to use and it was very efficient to submit a resume and cover letter. I found the HR staff at Starwood to be very unreliable and not very helpful. One time I even had a phone interview postponed three times in a row (once was a complete no show by the HR person) just to have the HR person come on during the fourth try and tell me the position had been filled in the meantime. I know HR people have a lot thrown at them with dwindling resources, but I am a pretty flexible person and have to saw that there was a complete lack of professional courtesy.

In person interviews were actually quite the opposite. Very efficient, everyone at the company is very accommodating and pleasant to talk to. I was brought to a meeting room in the new Starwood headquarters (quite nice) and the interviewers came to me one by one. They just asked the standard questions and that evolved into a back and forth conversation. I ended up not being selected, but I have to say the in-person interview process was quite a good experience and they had a very reasonable explanation for why they made their decision.

Interview Questions

• None really. They asked a few typical interview questions then just took the conversation from there.   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts (Stamford, CT) in February 2013.

Interview

Communications Manager, Global Sales Products met with two members of the Integrated Sales and Catering team in one meeting. Each person dedicated approximately 40 minutes. The day to day activities were explained in detail : drafting written materials, preparing presentations, creating end user surveys and communicating with Starwood employees.
    The interviewers were very relaxed, open to questions and eager to explain the Starwood philosophy.

Interview Questions

• What do you believe to be your most outstanding accomplishment in any position.   1 Answer