State Farm Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State Farm Underwriter Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Tempe, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Apply online 2. Complete computer and typing assessment at home. 3. interview: Checked in at the front desk. With a group of applicants, we went to a group session to learn about the job role and responsibilities. We then split up individually with two interviewers in a private session.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself...
    What do you know about State Farm?
    Tell me about a time your teammates viewed you as a role model.
    Why would you be a good fit for this role?
    Do you have any questions for us?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out an online application in November of 2016 then had a phone interview in January of 2017. The phone interview was an hour long and filled with behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What were some challenges you faced during a project? How did you handle a difficult customer?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied in Dec 2016 with an Outside Recruiter. Had telephone interview in mid- January with HR person from HQ with behavioral only type questions for one solid hour. Interviewed in person in Dunwoody in late January with Operations Manager and Supervisor. Asked some behavioral questions similar to the telephone interview, then asked procedural-type questions about Underwriting to FNMA and FHLMC. I have been UW for over 10 years and now am just used to filling out the FNMA form 1084 form for self employed bwrs and tax returns. They will ask several procedural questions, so study the FNMA Seller/Servicing Guide like crazy!

Interview Questions

• How do you look at a s/e bwr that owns a "S Corp" and shows a loss for this year, but a gain in a previous year?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State Farm in April 2016.

Interview

I put in an application for the job on 3/29
    I heard back that I would receive an interview 4/8
    I was scheduled for the interview for 4/15
    The interview was 30 minutes long with a panel of three people, two were supervisors and one was the superintendent of the department
    I waited seven long weeks to find out whether I would be offered the position or not
    I heard back that I received an offer on 6/1
    I accepted that offer that same day
    My start date is 6/27 with a 3-4 month training period to start

Interview Questions

• Scenario specific questions that require a very specific, complete and detailed answer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied internally for an underwriter position. I received an interview notification within 4 weeks. The interview was performed by a panel consisting of two team managers and two section managers. I waited for another 3 weeks and was offered the position. I found the process to be fairly easy although the online external application can be somewhat tedious and could use some improvements.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time you were faced with a difficult situation. What was the situation, what did you do, what were the results?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in December 2015.

Interview

This review is only about the process before the interview, because as of now, I have not yet received an offer to interview.

I applied for position. The next day I received applicant disclosure forms via email to complete. After completing and returning those the same day, got email with preemployment assessment links the following day. They give you 7 days to complete the assessments, but they recommend you take them within 48 hours of receiving email.

There were 4 assessments: policies & procedures (moderate), personality/behavioral (easy), mock customer calls with data entry (easy), and typing speed and accuracy (easy). All test were timed which made it a bit more intense. Please take your time but work as fast as you can and accurately on all tests, especially the policies and procedures assessment.

I took the assessments within 48 hrs which was a Saturday. I knew I didn't do so well on the policy and procedures test. On Monday received an email congratulating me on successfully completing the assessments. ***KEYWORD : IT READ COMPLETING, NOT PASSING***. It then went on to say if you are selected for an interview, someone from HR will contact you. Thanked me for giving State Farm the opportunity to consider me for the position, and informed me that my application would stay active for 12 months.

Now, sounds to me like this is a nice way to say, thanks but no thanks, LOL. From reading other reviews, the "Chosen" ones received an email that said congrats on your competitive test results or something to that nature. I am a bit disappointed, but who knows what could happen. I may still get a call. My application status still says it's being reviewed by HR, but based on other reviews I think they just haven't updated yet.

I will create another post with anymore updates that I receive.

Interview Questions

• The policies and procedures test was a hard to me   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Two people that were asking star like questions. Very friendly. Overall I was at ease and was able to be myself. Took a week for them to say they had better candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you had to manage several task at once how did you prioritize them? Did you complete them? If not why? If so how did you handle?   1 Answer
    • In detail describe what they do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in May 2014.

Interview

2/4- Applied for position.

2/12- Got an email asking to sign a applicant disclosure form. Same day I was emailed to take a battery assessment and typing test.

2/13- Was Emailed and told I had competitive results and would be contacted if I was chosen for an interview

4/10- After I almost gave up hope, I was contacted by email to do an interview at the end of the month

4/29- The interview was laid back and there were 5 other people there. First we were were taken into a room to speak to the Underwriters and see how the position works and after that the underwriter managers from different sites took us individually to conduct the interviews which was fairly easy, just remember typical STAR questions and you'll be fine. After that we spoke to a recruiter to let us know the contingent offer will take 7-10 business days.

5/7- Received contingent offer by email pending background and drug test.

Overall it was the easiest interview I've ever had. They didn't beat around the bush or find anyway to exclude you from the position. If you get to the interview part you basically have the job. You just have to show that you have some common sense and can talk with intelligence. The only thing is the salary is quite low at $37k and not competitive with other companies in the industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little more about yourself   1 Answer
    • Give a time where you had to persuade a peer or a coworker to have something go your way. What was the situation and how was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to multitask between task in a pressure environment. What was the situation and how did you overcome it   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer. What was the situation and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • Give me a time when you and your coworkers couldn't agree on a project. What was the situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they weren't having it. I live in another state and they didn't offer a higher salary or relocation expenses. They are stuck at $37k and nothing can change their minds.

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position February 4, 2014. The application is very easy if you have a resume. Is simply copy all the information from the resume into the application.

Interview Questions

• I was e-mailed a request for an interview early April for the end o the month. The hiring team allow you a great amount of time to prepare.

On the day of the interview of the interview you will be briefed for 15 mins by a HR Recruiter and Underwriter. They will simply give you a more in-depth look int the position. The will give you great tips to focus on in the interview. Finally, your interviewer will come and get you, and the other few interviewees individually. This is the time to shine. Make sure you practice COMPETENCY BASED interviews. That is the type of interview you will have.

Ensure that you refresh yourself on ways to answer, "Why are you considering leaving your current employer?" In a VERY concise manner, tell them about yourself. Remember to do something that will grab their attention and keep it relevant to the position. The questions are easy, just remember to focus on relating your work/experiences on those outlined in the job description. However, make sure you listen carefully and use the STAR method for each answer.

After which, you will debrief with the managers that interviewed you, and then a HR Rep will come and go over benefits, and other details of the offer package. You will then receive your offer letter via e-mail between 7-10 business day later.
      19 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The salary is $37,000.

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in August 2013.

Interview

1. Applied online at Statefarm.com 7/25/2013
    2. Contacted with Applicant Disclosure Form(before taking test) 7/26/2013
    3. Contacted with pre-employment test 7/29/2013 (Took test 7/30/13)
    4. Contacted with results of pre-employment test (passed!) 7/31/2013
    5. Contacted for phone interview 8/23/13
     6. Congrats email with interview time and day (which was discussed when contacted for phone interview) Job duties and salary included 8/23/13
    7. Phone interview 8/27/13
    8. Received and accepted job offer 8/27/13
    *Process: Took almost 8 weeks (27 days)
    *No prior underwriting experience needed.
    *Past customer service and/or management experience a plus.

The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to be hired at State Farm is the following:

For the State Farm Screening Battery and SkilTrak and Computer Skills Assessment:
    THE TEST: The Screening Battery tests you on your personality, how well you work with a team, if you are a leader, what you would do in certain situations etc. The SkilTrak will test you on mock "policies and procedures". Just to make sure you know how to follow directions if selected as an Underwriter. The third test was the computer skills assessment.The first part of that test was kind of cool. Mock callers would call in and you would listen and have to accurately and quickly fill out the mock order form. The second part was a typing test.

What to Do for the Test:
    1.Take a typing test to prepare you for your speed and accuracy. This is what I did and glad I did. I wasn't quite sure on how hard or easy it would be. But it was nearly impossible to complete the entire test and I'm a pretty fast typer. Take the test in a quite environment definitely.
    2. It is also true what someone else said: "When reading the questions [on the Battery test] to your self add 'at work'. It works every time. So when it asks you if it is true that you have never lied in your life, you can answer that it is true- at work! They want the perfect candidate. Period.
    3. And stay consistent. The best advice I can give on it is to answer each question as a true or not true, not using the sometimes true etc. Riding the fence on every question is not favorable.

How to Prepare for the Interview:
    1. Study the interview questions here on Glass Door for your specific position. (If it they are from the exact location your applying for that will be even better).
    2. As someone else mentioned here, "Give specific situations, the actions you took, and the results" to the interview questions. PREPARE.
    2. Review State Farms website and get to know their info like founder, date founded, CEO etc (*This is taking the extra step and this will show your genuine interest in the company).
    3. RELAX and be yourself!(Cliche' I know lol).

State Farm's Updates to my Online Application:
     (*FYI) I was always checking 2 sometimes 3 times a day(maybe like 10 lol) because I was so excited(EEK!). If your like me, here is what my online app looked like throughout the process:

-"Your application has been submitted for this job opening."
    -“Your application is still under consideration for this opening.”
    -"Your application is being reviewed by Human Resources for this opening."
    -"Your application is being reviewed by the hiring manager for the opening."
    Every time my online profile was updated I felt like a kid at Christmas!

Overall, I really, REALLY value the entire interview process. Very professional and organized. Probably the best interview process I have been through. Everyone was nice and very cordial. I applied to a few positions at the same time, but didn't get interviewed for them. If you have applied to State Farm and are kind of bummed out, all I can say is keep trying, prepare, make yourself stand out, and hopefully my experience will help those that are looking to be apart of the State Farm team like me.Thank God for Glass Door! It helped me tremendously. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a little more about yourself.
      2. Give a specific example of how you have demonstrated your ability to handle multiple priorities and deliver results. Describe the situation and the manner in which you addressed it.
      3. Do you know about the position you are applying for?
      4. Tell me about what you did to prepare for today's interview.
      5. Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service.
      *Two more customer service type questions I can't quite remember.
      4 Answers

Negotiation

The salary was a fair salary according to Glass Door. It actually was slighty more than I expected but overall Glass Door seems to be pretty accurate.