State Farm Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

3.2

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Underwriter Interview

Interview

applied online, exchanged an email to setup some tests, after getting a competitive result, got a phone interview after that.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position February 4, 2014. The application is very easy if you have a resume. Is simply copy all the information from the resume into the application.

Interview Questions

• I was e-mailed a request for an interview early April for the end o the month. The hiring team allow you a great amount of time to prepare.

On the day of the interview of the interview you will be briefed for 15 mins by a HR Recruiter and Underwriter. They will simply give you a more in-depth look int the position. The will give you great tips to focus on in the interview. Finally, your interviewer will come and get you, and the other few interviewees individually. This is the time to shine. Make sure you practice COMPETENCY BASED interviews. That is the type of interview you will have.

Ensure that you refresh yourself on ways to answer, "Why are you considering leaving your current employer?" In a VERY concise manner, tell them about yourself. Remember to do something that will grab their attention and keep it relevant to the position. The questions are easy, just remember to focus on relating your work/experiences on those outlined in the job description. However, make sure you listen carefully and use the STAR method for each answer.

After which, you will debrief with the managers that interviewed you, and then a HR Rep will come and go over benefits, and other details of the offer package. You will then receive your offer letter via e-mail between 7-10 business day later.   19 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The salary is $37,000.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Charlottesville, VA) in April 2012.

Interview

Professional on the outside, sloppy, lazy, coasting toward retirement on the inside.
    This a fire-and-forget resume and useful only to polish your interview skills.
    I suggest looking for a real company.
    Doubt my review? Check the time length between interview and results from other posters. From the results I see, other posters in other locations have a faster response rate, regardless the results.

Interview Questions

• Standard Stuff. Do you play well with others?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm in September 2013.

Interview

Because p&c was in a huge hiring spree, they hired me after only one phone interview. Most of the preliminary were through email (prescreen drug test, employment tests. The salary was emailed and was lower than expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Bakersfield, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online, got a phone interview, then got a panel interview with three people. Be prepared with specific answers to "tell me about a time when..." questions. Even though I thought the interview went well, I wasn't accepted.

The interviewers were very nice and accommodating. It was a good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• What is the most technical thing you've had to explain to someone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Bakersfield, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

A couple pre-employment tests, phone interview, and physical interview with 3 hiring managers. Common behavioral interview questions during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you did to prepare for today's interview. Not sure exactly what they were looking for: If I should indicated that researched common interview questions and prepared by talking out loud (might seem like too rigid of a person to them) or if I should answer in a more casual manner (then it might seem like I did not prepare enough).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Tempe, AZ) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied online in July, 2 days later received skills assessment tests to take on the computer. After receiving competitive scores on the skills assessments I was emailed 2 days later for a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of a few behavioral questions and an explanation of the job and it's salary. Before ending the phone interview, they scheduled me for an in person panel interview for the following week. Very comfortable interview with 3 managers, more behavioral questions. Exactly 3 weeks after the panel interview I got a call with a contingent job offer. Drug & Background Screen takes less than 2 weeks to complete and get results and then start date about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you provided excellent customer service.
      Explain a situation when you had to deal with an upset customer, how did you deal with the situation?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State Farm (Aurora, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online via their website.

Received an phone call about a week later, and underwent a very brief screening. I was then asked to take two online aptitude tests. The tests were timed, and fairly straightforward. One of them focused on knowledge/reasoning/reading comprehension, while the other tested data entry and keyboarding skills.

Shortly after completing the tests, I was contacted for an on site interview (with HR). I arrived early, but had to wait beyond the scheduled time to be seen. From the start, I could see that the interviewer was not too interested. I was asked standard behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It made me nervous how my interviewer spent a lot of time typing, and seldom made eye contact. The interview lasted about 25 minutes, and was to be followed up with another interview with the hiring manager(s).

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected. Standard HR behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Dunwoody, GA) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online on 4/1. I got a call either the next day or the day after that requesting that I sign an applicant disclosure agreement. The day after that I got a automated phone call and an email inviting me to take a preemployment test. Like any employment test, I would not worry about passing. The day after completing the assessments, I got an email saying my scores were competitive.

On 4/24 I got an email congratulating me that I was selected for an interview that included a preset date and time. Luckily, I was already available for that day. The email also listed the job duties and the salary. Below average, about 5,000 below a competing national insurance company for the SAME exact position.

5/14 I interviewed in the BUSY operations center in Dunwoody. It's a nice building, brand new, with tons of employees and tons of interviewees. I grew a lot more confident in myself when I saw how the other interviewees were dressed. Wear a suit, please, I realized then that many people don't know to do that. You'll probably stand out, in a good way, like I did.

Anyways the interview was with the Underwriting Team. The team consisted of two underwriting managers, one from TN, one from TX, who had flown in just to interview for the position. I felt relatively comfortable (as comfortable as you can get in a behavioral interview).

I felt confident leaving the interview. One of the managers told me this was the first day of interviews (it was a Tuesday) and they'd be interviewing through Friday (for 18 positions I believe). He said they hoped to have decisions made by the following week, but to give them until the week after that to make a decision. I grew anxious, as an earlier email told me it would take 2-5 days after the interview for a job offer or deniel. On 5/28, as promised by an email, I was received a contingent job offer.

The pay is under average, but I accepted because of the location and because State Farm seems like a great place to work. I am a recent college graduate, with 2 years part-time customer service experience, moving from another state. I'm thankful that they considered me. Overall, the recruiting process is pretty superb. They lay everything out initially and leave little to wonder about, compared to other employers.

Interview Questions

• Explain/Describe a team where your work environment/style changed suddendly and you were forced to adjust.

Why accounting? (My college major)

I was slightly thrown off by their questions, as I had copied every behavioral question that previous interviewees on this site listed from their State Farm interviews, and my interviewers chose different questions. I still recommend to do as I did for the interview, and prepare answers for the questions listed here on this side. I gathered enough experiences with my preparation to morph them into answers for the questions during my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate the offer as it seemed to be non-negotiable, though I wish they had offered at least 3,000 more to keep up with industry competitors.

Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (North Atlanta, GA) in May 2013.

Interview

1 Prompt and well prepared.
    2 Used the STAR - (Situation-Task-Action-Results) Interview method
    3 Prior insurance experience not a requirement
    4 Looking to hire the right people
    5 Great follow through once contingent offer made
    6 Regular communication regarding next steps in the hiring process

Interview Questions

• Not applicable. This was by far one of the best interview experiences.   Answer Question