State Farm Underwriting Service Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 6, 2017

2.9

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at State Farm (Richardson, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

After applying online, I got an email with some assessment skills (typing, data input). A few days after completing those, I received another email with an interview time, which I needed to confirm. Upon entering the facility the day of the interview, I was sat down with other interviewees, and we were brought in to a 15-20 minute overview of the job, including responsibilities and benefits. Afterwards, each interviewee was interviewed individually by two hiring managers. Interviewers were very nice, the interview took about 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you would be a better fit in the Production Center or Contact Center? Why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple in my opinion. Like many other large companies hiring multiple people at one time, the process seemed very drawn out/long but the best things are worth waiting for and you need have patience. :)
    I applied June 15-16 and I will complete my timeline below:

6/29- Received email regarding employment testing brochure and applicant disclosure form. Returned the disclosure form the same day.

6/30- Made an error on disclosure form so I had to resubmit it.

7/6- Received assessments and completed assessments the same day.

7/7 - Received email thanking me for completing the assessment.

7/28- Received email saying I've been selected to interview, had to respond back within 24 hours to say I was available for the date and time; Responded the same day.

8/1- Received email confirming interview date, time, location and of course position. Had about 2 weeks to prepare for interview, AMPLE time to prepare!!

8/10- Interview reminder email

8/17-Interview DAY!!!!
    So I arrived early, Waited for about 20 minutes, It was quiet so I spoke with a fellow interviewer to ease nerves. We were all called into a large meeting room and spoke with the HR recruiter and a fellow underwriting assistant. They discussed the position, training, pay, benefits, and any job related questions. No surprises. She told us the position could change before the start date based on business needs. I saw another post about the position changing and yes it can, they say this in the interview and in many of the emails, it is based upon BUSINESS NEEDS! Keep that in mind. They say you'll hear back in 5-10 business days, others said it could be 3 weeks.
    We then were called one by one to interview with two managers. interrogation time!!!!! lol. It was a great interview. The managers were nice and it wasn't an intimidating format. They asked questions, asked for SPECIFIC answers(If you know the star method, that will help you so much). Be honest, be comfortable and SELL YOURSELF!! I think I ramble a lot sometimes so I asked if I was and they reassured me that I was doing a good job. The whole thing lasted 45min to an hour.

8/29- Email saying I was selected to receive a Contingent job offer-- had to send a response to recruiter accepting.
    8/30- CJO received
    8/31-BG Check initiated
    9/1- Drug Test
    9/13- background screening officially finished
    9/14- OFFICIAL JOB OFFER
    I'll be starting soon and I am excited!!

It's an easy interview if you prepare! If you don't prepare, you may not do well. All questions aren't exactly the same but they may be similar. Prior to the interview I would understand the overall topic of the question and develop responses based on topics.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about yourself. Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
    • Describe a time when you had a deadline that you needed to make and how did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to lead a team through a difficult situation?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Statefarm and the position? Any preferences on being placed in Production or the Contact Center?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm (Tempe, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty chill and laid back. Prior to the actual interview, once you arrive you will be asked to take a seat in the lobby with other candidates (unless you're the only one) as you wait for the recruiter to show up and start the process.

Before you actually meet with the interviewers, you will have a 10-15 minute discussion with the recruiter regarding the details of what the job entails and what is expected of you. There may or may not be a current USA employee there; if so, they will give you a basic run down of what life is like day to day. Additionally, what is presented by the recruiter is an acknowledgment that behavioral questions will be asked and what they are looking for as an answer. Also, benefits, advancement opportunities to include salary, promotions, and bonuses will be discussed prior to your interview. Once there are no further questions, one of two interviewers will call you by name and then you start the process. Pretty consistent with what I have read so far on glassdoor for this position. Overall, no stress, no pressure and they do a really good job of keeping it straightforward. Lastly, the recruiter informed us that communication regarding job offer (or rejection) will be done via email.

My personal analysis is that they are very much looking for the right answers. The STAR format is recommended as it should assist in organizing your thoughts.

At the posting of this review, I have not yet received an email regarding a job offer or rejection; was informed to wait anywhere from a couple days to two weeks. I selected "no" that I did not get the job because I was forced to choose a job outcome. Rather say that than no and come across as deceptive.

Hope this helps.

Interview Questions

• This was the first question: Please tell me about yourself.   2 Answers
    • Describe a time when your peers considered you a role model.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were failing a project and how did you perform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Bloomington, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job back in June, did some typing test in July and interviewed in August. It has only been 2 days since my interview so i have to choose no offer below, although i feel confident the interview went well and i will receive an offer. There were 8 of us at the interview and were all taken into a room with an HR rep and 2 current USA employees to review the job. then they did individual interviews with 2 managers. Spent about 1 hour total there. They said it would take 5-10 business days to hear back

Interview Questions

• describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Stone Mountain, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Stone Mountain, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was extremely relaxed. Everyone was very warm and welcoming. You sit down with a few people already on the job and discuss the position, then you break off into individual interviews. The interviewers are also really laid back so your levels of anxiety decrease almost instantaneously.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to meet a deadline?   Answer Question
    • Desrcibe a time when had a huge work load and wasnt successful.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to do extensive research to get a job done.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I knew going into the interview that the salary was non negotiable so i didnt try. The benefits are amazing and the experience is even better. Sometimes those things are worth more than money. Personally, the salary to me is decent

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Bloomington, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and a week later was contacted for a pre employment test. Successfully completed it and a week
    Later was sent an email with a interview time and date. Had the interview with two people which lasted about 45 minutes and I thought it went well. Was asked general questioned about my experience and why I liked the position. I felt like it went well but a week later-on a Saturday morning at 6 am- I was sent a generic, canned rejection letter email.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about underwriting?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Richardson, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The entire process was long but straight forward. I first applied online. One week later was sent a couple of test to complete ASAP. About 3 days after submitting the test, I was invited for a interview that took place 3 weeks later. The interview process was about as easy as an interview could be. They first brought a group of us into a room and explained the day to day job of being a USA. Then was called in to interview with 2 managers. Interview lasted about 25min. Was told to hear something back in as little as 5 days or as late as 2 weeks. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I had to choose between offer or no offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How do you function in a group setting?
      Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Richardson, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Overall a somewhat long interview process that took a little over a month. The process is straight forward and it starts off with simply uploading your resume and deciding which job to apply for. Waited 2 days and then signed the applicant disclosure form while also taking a typing, call center, and a personality test. Waited around another 4-5 days before getting a call for an interview. The interview was set for 3 weeks later. At the interview there was about 8 of us there so they first call the group into a conference room and there is one guy there giving us a description of what the job entails along with 2 other people who work in two different departments of being an underwriting service assistant. We were allowed to ask questions until the interviewers came to give us the one on one interview. The interview was about 30 minutes long with a whole lot of STAR questions if you come prepared with answers you will be fine if not the interview may be shorter. Overall a somewhat long process but not that hard of a process if you are prepared.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about State Farm?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to meet a deadline and how did you approach it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I'm still in the process, but it started at the beginning of July. There is s 10 step process and I'm at step 5. I've been given my contingent letter. Just have to do my background and drug test.

Underwriting Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

I applied online, got a phone call from the recruiter a week later to schedule a in person interview. During the first part of the interview, there were an introduction to a group of about 7 people who were applying for the job. Then was a 30 minutes one on one interview. Got a email offer 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation you did above and beyond what you suppose to do.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer