State of California - Department of Parks Associate Civil Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at State of California - Department of Parks

Associate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview panel had an engineer and an architect. The interview consists of several civil engineering design questions, construction/project management questions, and a few typical interview questions. One of the panel member was very attentive and professional throughout the interview process, but the other one was not professional at all. That person was asking about my family life more than the technical questions, making jokes about other departments, and being inattentive by drawing pictures on a notepad and looking around the room during the interview. In my opinion, the panel members should always maintain a certain standard of professionalism since they represent the management of the company. On a different note, the position seemed very interesting where the engineer will have the opportunity to work on various fields of civil engineering, and some of the projects would be interesting and challenging. They wanted someone who will stay in this position for a while as in 8 to 10 years, but the position will not provide any upward mobility, no career development training due to limited funding, no chance to work within different sections and possibly no salary increase unless there is a promotion. By the end of the interview, I felt excited about the position, but at the same time, I might not be happy working with the management and the perks of this organization.

Interview Questions

• There were 9 to 10 questions, and 30 minutes were given to review the questions before the interview.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for State of California - Department of Parks

Associate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for a position as an Associate Civil Engineer, contacted the hiring manager and to follow up on my state application. Two months later I received an email to come in for an interview but two days before the interview was to take place I received an email stating the position would be eliminated but could still come in and interview, because the hiring manager was trying to secure funding for this position. The interview went went well and a few days later I followed up with an email thanking them for their time and expressed interest in the position. Three months passed and I contcted the hiring manger to inquire about the position and was told they just filled the position one week earlier. I was not very happy with how I was treated without as much as a call back with an answer. It may be possible the agency hired someone they knew but had to advertise and then sent out an email four days before the interview to discourage applicants from coming in. I would never work for this agency because I am a professional and was unhappy with the lack of communication and respect.

Interview Questions

• I was given a list of questions and 30 minutes to provide written responses   1 Answer