State of California - Department of Parks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at State of California - Department of Parks

2.3

Associate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for a position as an Associate Civil Engineer, contacted the hiring manager and to follow up on my state application. Two months later I received an email to come in for an interview but two days before the interview was to take place I received an email stating the position would be eliminated but could still come in and interview, because the hiring manager was trying to secure funding for this position. The interview went went well and a few days later I followed up with an email thanking them for their time and expressed interest in the position. Three months passed and I contcted the hiring manger to inquire about the position and was told they just filled the position one week earlier. I was not very happy with how I was treated without as much as a call back with an answer. It may be possible the agency hired someone they knew but had to advertise and then sent out an email four days before the interview to discourage applicants from coming in. I would never work for this agency because I am a professional and was unhappy with the lack of communication and respect.

Interview Questions

• I was given a list of questions and 30 minutes to provide written responses   1 Answer

Associate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview panel had an engineer and an architect. The interview consists of several civil engineering design questions, construction/project management questions, and a few typical interview questions. One of the panel member was very attentive and professional throughout the interview process, but the other one was not professional at all. That person was asking about my family life more than the technical questions, making jokes about other departments, and being inattentive by drawing pictures on a notepad and looking around the room during the interview. In my opinion, the panel members should always maintain a certain standard of professionalism since they represent the management of the company. On a different note, the position seemed very interesting where the engineer will have the opportunity to work on various fields of civil engineering, and some of the projects would be interesting and challenging. They wanted someone who will stay in this position for a while as in 8 to 10 years, but the position will not provide any upward mobility, no career development training due to limited funding, no chance to work within different sections and possibly no salary increase unless there is a promotion. By the end of the interview, I felt excited about the position, but at the same time, I might not be happy working with the management and the perks of this organization.

Interview Questions

• There were 9 to 10 questions, and 30 minutes were given to review the questions before the interview.   1 Answer

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks in January 2013.

Interview

Easy. Just be prepared. They will have a panel and possibly a test. Be confidant . Dress appropriately, you will be given a scenerio to evaluate and figure out .

Environmental Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oceano, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (Oceano, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The actual in-person interview was very easy and low key. It took place inside a state parks vehicle while we drove out onto the beach to see the environment the job would take place in. The questions were typed onto a piece of paper and handed to me so I could read them even before they asked me the questions.

Ranger Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (Sacramento, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Hiring process is very long, often a one to two year ordeal from application to getting hired. Just prior to the interview, they let you review questions and take notes for half an hour. You can use the notes during the interview to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, they ask you to simulate presenting an educational program to a school group. So you have to make a presentation for a few minutes.   Answer Question

Lifeguard I Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks.

Interview

Fill out online form, then submit via email/mail to headquarters. From there schedule and interview with the employer and after the interview take a pre qual swim and if you pass you are likely to get the job.

Lifeguard II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (Huntington Beach, CA).

Interview

I had a panel interview with three different senior members. These included 2 permanent officers of different rank and one full time lifeguard. It was not too stressful, they just want to see if you are fit to manage.

Interview Questions

• How I would respond to a certain scenario in which I would have to manage the safety of my lifeguards and the public at the same time (management).   Answer Question

Lifeguard II Interview

Application

Interview

30 min interview with panel of permanent lifeguards. Questions are given 10 mins prior to interview. Relatively straight forward if you have some years of experience as a lifeguard I.

SMA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grass Valley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (Grass Valley, CA).

Interview

Paper app, Employment history. They called me for an interview. Asked simple maintenance questions, easy interview. A long process took a month to start, must buy own uniform patches and all, About $100 total pay for your own finger prints so another $30-50 depending you where you go.

Park Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Big Sur, CA

Application

I interviewed at State of California - Department of Parks (Big Sur, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Phone interview for summer position at Andrew Molera State Park in Big Sur, CA during the summer. Answered a few questions via phone and was offered a position. I met with the head ranger in Big Sur and was shown around the camp grounds and facilities. Dorm style housing offered for those who need it.