State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions

Interviews at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning

Sort:

Patrol Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Brooklyn Park, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied in person and was told if I didn't mind waiting for awhile I can be given an interview the same day, which I did and began working that night

Interview Questions

• What's our some difficult experience you had from your last job and how did you deal with them   Answer Question

Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Hollywood, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

You must take and get your test score for the Office Technician position to be eligible to even submit a mandatory, hard copy of an official State Application. Read instructions completely for how to fill out the job application. Your attention to detail / instructions is part of your Exam to qualify for an interview. Read the bulletin / announcement completely, it will tell you if they are hiring internally or accepting from outside. If it has qualifications it insists on, that you do not have, do no apply. If you're invited to interview, 3 person panel. Bring EVERYTHING they request. There is usually a a computer generated written exam seeing if you can follow instructions. If you don't understand something, you cannot ask for help. All interviews are EQUALLY given. They will ask you and all candidates the same questions. You have a chance to 'shine' at the end, when they ask you if you have 'any questions'. THEY WILL CALL YOUR REFERENCES AND FORMER EMPLOYERS.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Assistant of office emailed over the specifics and scheduled an appointment with senior analysts. Interviewers gave little direction as did the assistant when I contacted them. Test, group interview, feel like they have some altruistic aura over their heads because it's public service...but they couldn't describe it whatsoever.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call setting up an appointment for an interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three people. I was asked about 9 questions. Each person asked 3 questions each. After the interview I was given a test in Excel that involved budget questions and computations. I was told they interviewed 6 other cndidates. I calle in two weeks and they selected another candidate.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

It was a great interview process with straight forward questions. Management was very relaxed and opened, which gave me the opportunity to focus on my experience and my qualifications rather than being too nervous. I had approximately nine questions and a writing assessment. The writing assessment had about ten different choices. Interview length was about 45 minutes. The interview had a panel of three. Two line managers and another upper manager.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a project you had to complete in the past that you could have done better? What went wrong and what would you have done different if given a second chance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

State of California has set salaries for every position. There is no room for negotiation. You either start at beginning level or level 2, 3 or 4 depending on how many years of related experience you have.

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

FCC first class license required... experiance at a component level and commercial communications experiance required.

Negotiation

none

Employment Program Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied in April 09 & jobs opened up 12/09 I was persistant & kept calling the manager. I had a great interview & an offer followed by end of week.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Salaries are set.

Research Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

This classification rarely holds an exam process, but when it does, it is a good idea to get on it. Usually the exam process requires an STD 678 application with relevant work information, and a supplemental questionnaire. It may take awhile to be scored, you will get notice in the mail. This exam is NOT held online.

I included an STD 678, a cover letter, a resume, references, and copies of my degrees in my application.

The hiring process: an AGPA can lateral into this job if the work they do is very similar in nature, and that is determined by individual HR departments. This step is a promotion from Research Analyst I, and is a lateral salary bump from AGPA level if you qualify on an exam list.

The research analyst II interview incorporated relatively normal questions about previous work, level of ability or interest in the type of work at the agency, questions specific to the job duty statement, and basic analysis ability. Included questions on types of software programs used, ability in statistical analysis and math, and literature reviews. This class often works with mapping, databases, and analyses scientific reports. This class also does a lot of grunt work for higher level researchers. I also completed a written assignment, which included analysis of a chart. I recall that I noted the chart title was unclear, and that the y axis did not express whether the numbers indicated were representing a percent, rate, or whole number. I also answered a basic short essay question on research methodology.

The promotional series this class leads to is Research Program Specialist.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a line chart by gender and year and asked me to analyse it, but it was missing a title and it didn't have a label on the Y axis. I almost panicked, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be critical, or just tell them it was a line chart by gender and year.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Came in with a pay bump because I qualified off an exam I had previously taken.

Claim Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Diego, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

they were looking for bilinguals when i was hired

Interview Questions

• they have the typical questions - you are interviewed by the managers   Answer Question

Negotiation

you start at the lowest pay always and slowly increased until you cap

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.