State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

30 min written exam to examine your skill set. By policy I cannot go into detail about the exam.
    Then a panel interview with one or two managers, and region manager. Just a heads up.... you can knock the interview and written exam out of the park, but unfortunately just like other state jobs they already know who they are going to hire. By law they are required to invite others to the interview to "display" a fair and equal process. Also on another note, studies have shown that people hire others that look like them, so depending on who you are you will have a tougher time getting hired, whether it be a public or private organization.

Interview Questions

• Questions that ask you about how you would handle certain situations, your experience in completing tasks or similar tasks that the position entails. By policy I am not able to go into detail.   1 Answer

Assistant Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

They are not very flexible in their scheduling. The parking can be a problem as well. There are 2-3 steps to interview process. You will have a written test, +/ - presentation, after this you get a formal panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why should we hire you.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position one week and got a call to interview the next week. There were two people on the interview panel. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. There was no test beforehand. There were 6 questions, 2 of which were not at all relevant to the position that I could tell. Be prepared for "what if" questions and read all of the website material beforehand if you really want this job.

I have not received a call afterward as the interview just happened. I am not sure what the process is after the interview.

Interview Questions

• If you found out that the department's budget was losing money, had no more funding, what would you recommend?   1 Answer

Accountant Traine Interview

Interview

Nice and friendly. Typical Interview Questions

Personnel Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Mostly based on Resume. Had to take a test and was required to have at least 2 years of college. The interview was mostly impersonal and disconcerting. Who I was and I could bring to the job was not as big a consideration as was my attitude about be a "team member" My qualification werer breezed over quickly. The interview last about 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Do I have any strong negative issures about unions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. I was called by someone in personnel and informed that I had been accepted and could begin orintation the following Monday. The salary benefits were establish prio to the call.

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in April 2013.

Interview

Submitted standard state application on the final filing date. I was contacted within a week of submitting the application to set up and interview for the following week. There were two people on the interview panel. My observations of the employees was mostly positive, people were friendly and open.

I was given 15 minutes to provide references and review the interview questions. Take advantage of this short time to look over all the questions and make notes on the points you want to make. Really helps you remember things you want to discuss because when you are nervous, you tend to forget or overlook strong points. Questions were basic -- experience with a difficult project, (how you handled it and what was result), describe a situation where you work with difficult people, etc.

Interview took about half an hour, with the interviewers jotting down notes while I answered. Always research the job, the department and have some questions to ask at the end to better understand the job but also to show you are interested and have given consideration.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe in detail a project I was responsible for and had to lay out the start to finish. Have a really good example in mind and stay positive!   1 Answer

Research Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

This classification rarely holds an exam process, but when it does, it is a good idea to get on it. Usually the exam process requires an STD 678 application with relevant work information, and a supplemental questionnaire. It may take awhile to be scored, you will get notice in the mail. This exam is NOT held online.

I included an STD 678, a cover letter, a resume, references, and copies of my degrees in my application.

The hiring process: an AGPA can lateral into this job if the work they do is very similar in nature, and that is determined by individual HR departments. This step is a promotion from Research Analyst I, and is a lateral salary bump from AGPA level if you qualify on an exam list.

The research analyst II interview incorporated relatively normal questions about previous work, level of ability or interest in the type of work at the agency, questions specific to the job duty statement, and basic analysis ability. Included questions on types of software programs used, ability in statistical analysis and math, and literature reviews. This class often works with mapping, databases, and analyses scientific reports. This class also does a lot of grunt work for higher level researchers. I also completed a written assignment, which included analysis of a chart. I recall that I noted the chart title was unclear, and that the y axis did not express whether the numbers indicated were representing a percent, rate, or whole number. I also answered a basic short essay question on research methodology.

The promotional series this class leads to is Research Program Specialist.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a line chart by gender and year and asked me to analyse it, but it was missing a title and it didn't have a label on the Y axis. I almost panicked, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be critical, or just tell them it was a line chart by gender and year.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Came in with a pay bump because I qualified off an exam I had previously taken.

Lucensing Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Important to read the job specs and know a little about the agency to which you are applying. It is helpful to have experience with the agency, know of current events involving the agency, agency dirctor etc. Most interviews are a series of questions asked by the panel, don't worry about eye contact from them as they tend to have their heads down writing. This is a good thing. Try and repeat their question back in your answer. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• What do you like and not like about your current position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation in government job.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

It was a great interview process with straight forward questions. Management was very relaxed and opened, which gave me the opportunity to focus on my experience and my qualifications rather than being too nervous. I had approximately nine questions and a writing assessment. The writing assessment had about ten different choices. Interview length was about 45 minutes. The interview had a panel of three. Two line managers and another upper manager.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a project you had to complete in the past that you could have done better? What went wrong and what would you have done different if given a second chance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

State of California has set salaries for every position. There is no room for negotiation. You either start at beginning level or level 2, 3 or 4 depending on how many years of related experience you have.

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

FCC first class license required... experiance at a component level and commercial communications experiance required.

Negotiation

none