State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2017

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

FCC first class license required... experiance at a component level and commercial communications experiance required.

Negotiation

none

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call setting up an appointment for an interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three people. I was asked about 9 questions. Each person asked 3 questions each. After the interview I was given a test in Excel that involved budget questions and computations. I was told they interviewed 6 other cndidates. I calle in two weeks and they selected another candidate.

Auditor Evaluator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I submitted the state application together with resume through email. Approximately three weeks after the final filing deadline, I received a call from the Department and scheduled an in-person interview. Since a lot of applicants were coming from different states, the department offered the same interview either by phone or in-person. As I was told by the department, the interview consisted of 5 questions including behavioral and situation questions.

This was a panel interview with 2 interviewers. First, I was assigned to sit in a small room, and they provided a sheet of paper which contained the five questions that they were going to ask during the interview. After about 10 minutes, I was directed into another room for the interview. One of the interviewer read the questions one by one, and they gave you enough time to answer each one of them. You could go back to a particular question to add more details to your answers later. The interviewers wrote down your answers in their worksheets.

Behavioral questions included:
    Tell me about a team experience that wasn't functioning well
    Tell me about a team experience on a subject that you never worked on

The other two situation questions were case study regarding performance audit for government agencies. You need to provide details about how you will audit them in the situation provided.

After the interview, they allowed sometime for you to ask questions. The interviewers were nice and talked about the weather and driving condition before we began. You just need to be prepared and tell your stories. They will not interact with you while you are providing your answers. It was very competitive. I heard from the interviewer that they received over 15,000 applications.

Interview Questions

• In this situation, what are the objectives of your audit for this government agency to ensure that they are in compliance with the applicable regulation?   Answer Question

Staff Services Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Sacramento, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Submit application and waited for a call for interview, given time and information. Was contacted regarding second interview. Panel was very open to questions and responded very open and honestly. Open position listings are posted for an appropriate time frame. I always suggest that you never count yourself out and think that you are not eligible. List all jobs that are relevant to position you are applying for and let those reviewing your application determine your eligibility. You may have characteristics that they are looking for, that are not listed in the job description.

Interview Questions

• What are your worst Characteristics?   1 Answer
    • What makes you the most qualified?   1 Answer

Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Hollywood, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

You must take and get your test score for the Office Technician position to be eligible to even submit a mandatory, hard copy of an official State Application. Read instructions completely for how to fill out the job application. Your attention to detail / instructions is part of your Exam to qualify for an interview. Read the bulletin / announcement completely, it will tell you if they are hiring internally or accepting from outside. If it has qualifications it insists on, that you do not have, do no apply. If you're invited to interview, 3 person panel. Bring EVERYTHING they request. There is usually a a computer generated written exam seeing if you can follow instructions. If you don't understand something, you cannot ask for help. All interviews are EQUALLY given. They will ask you and all candidates the same questions. You have a chance to 'shine' at the end, when they ask you if you have 'any questions'. THEY WILL CALL YOUR REFERENCES AND FORMER EMPLOYERS.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Assistant of office emailed over the specifics and scheduled an appointment with senior analysts. Interviewers gave little direction as did the assistant when I contacted them. Test, group interview, feel like they have some altruistic aura over their heads because it's public service...but they couldn't describe it whatsoever.

Employment Program Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied in April 09 & jobs opened up 12/09 I was persistant & kept calling the manager. I had a great interview & an offer followed by end of week.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Salaries are set.

Benefits Assessment Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (Oakland, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

I first took an exam with 90 other people in downtown Oakland(this was for the Alameda county). After passing the exam in about four weeks they called me in for a group interview with 5 people who would be involved in hiring me. This made it feel unessarily weird.

Claim Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning (San Diego, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

they were looking for bilinguals when i was hired

Interview Questions

• they have the typical questions - you are interviewed by the managers   Answer Question

Negotiation

you start at the lowest pay always and slowly increased until you cap

See What State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Systems Software Specialist III, Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

Pros: “Stable as a rock... Lots of opportunity for lateral movement from department to department.”“Stable as a rock... Lots of opportunity for lateral movement from department to department.” – Full Review