State of Connecticut Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

2.8

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wethersfield, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Wethersfield, CT).

Interview

For well paid State employees they are the most miserable bunch of hiring managers I ever run across. Six of them in the room and I never felt so uncomfortable and the tension in the room....whoooa I could have cut it with a knife. On one side of the table there was one "tough guy" that thought he was God's gift to the world. lol Slouched down in his chair, his hand supporting the side of his head, his ego was ready to explode. He had this look on his face like I was wasting his precious time and for me to hurry up so he could go back to playing games on his computer. This just goes to show, they may get paid extremely well but the most unhappy people on the planet. I learned something out of that interview - money does not buy happiness. I am truly thankful that I was not selected for the position. I couldn't imagine working with any one of them. Oh I take that back, there was one nice woman that actually smiled at me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at State of Connecticut.

Interview

Takes very long time from the time of the written test and the oral board type interview process. To be offered the job. Over 9 months from start to job offer drug and medical exam.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the job and describe what you would be doing daily   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Hartford, CT) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a general interview to see which intern program I best fit in. Then, months later, I received a call asking if I was comfortable being placed in a certain unit.

Licensed Clinical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Norwich, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

I completed a lengthy application and emailed it to HR along with my resume and cover letter. A couple weeks after I applied I was called and offered an interview for the following week. I went to the office and was greeted by a manager, program supervisor, and human resources representative. The interview was somewhat awkward as they have a list of questions they must ask all candidates, even if the topic was already discussed. In order to be "fair" each ihterviewer writes down your responses to the questions so they can all later rate you. I felt very comfortable once I got started as they tried to keep it light/low pressure. They did ask some standard job interview questions, but some related to the role. They asked about past difficult experiences, how I would respond to a crisis vignette, what I enjoy about the population, and how I handled a past disagreement with a coworker. When I was done, I was able to ask questions. I was shocked to hear that I would not have a second interview with the team I was interviewing to work with. A week and a half later I received a phone call asking if I would accept the position. I asked more HR questions and accepted the position, giving 3.5 weeks notice as they pressured me to start ASAP. I then learned that I would have to complete a physical and drug test at a walk in center, but they were waiting on my DCF background check in order to send me for the physical and drug test. This held me up, so I had a two week break before starting this job. I was happy for the break, but some people would struggle to go two weeks without working when the state already holds paychecks back two weeks so you receive your first paycheck 4 weeks after your start date. I was fine with it because I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but if you are being pressured to give a short notice period to your current employer, be aware that it could get held up. Ultimately I believe it took somewhere around 6 weeks for my DCF background check to go through (the rest of the background checks were far more timely). If you go you will learn that rules are followed to the letter of the law and not in the spirit of the law. I found it especially amusing that they insisted on the DCF check going through before paying for my physical and drug test because I was working with a DCF funded program at my prior employer.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker in the past and if so how did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Corrections Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Hartford, CT).

Interview

Many years ago ( before 2012 ) I interviewed for CT corrections officer. I was a young woman and feel that because of that I was unwanted by the interviewer. He asked the listed question and escalated the scenario to trip me up. I had no idea there was a demerit system in the DOC to keep prisoners in check. How could I...this was before Glass door and I knew no officers and certainly no prisoners. He antagonized me and humiliated me. He kept me from a career I truly wanted. It is my understanding this question or a similar scenario is still used.

Interview Questions

• If a prisoner takes two milks at lunch line, but is only allowed one what do you do?   1 Answer

Juvenile Detention Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Bridgeport, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed infront of a a panel of three individuals. The interview was pretty easy, was asked basic scenario questions such as, what if you saw a fellow officer pushing a detainee, what would you do?

Interview Questions

• How is Communication important?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at State of Connecticut.

Interview

Reviewed resume and questioned past work experiences. It was not a difficult process. Have a good understanding of what you've written on your resume. They will likely run through it with you.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to intern for the State of Connecticut?   Answer Question

File Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Manchester, CT).

Interview

Brief and to the point. Kind and silly. Putting me at ease with the interview. The manager who interviewed me was very much down to earth. It was pretty painless and I wish more interview were like that one. I will say I was offed an internship first before a full-time position.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheshire, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Connecticut (Cheshire, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

The interviews are scheduled after a lengthy exam and application process. Determined by your location and proximity to the position as well as experience for said position, one of the HR people contact you via phone - usually in the middle of the day. You're given the date and time and location. Sometimes the interviews are held far from the actual job location. You sit on front of a panel. The panel asks you the usual interview questions. You're given the opportunity to ask your own questions as well. Sometimes you receive notice that you were not selected, other times no word at all.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the best candidate?   1 Answer

Seasonal Employee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Connecticut.

Interview

I came into the park managers office and felt at home before I even was being interviewed. Questions included past work experience, if you are an outdoorsy person, why are you fit for this job. No questions went in too deep, seemed like the real reason was just to see if you would actually enjoy the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Are you an outdoorsy person?   1 Answer