State of Iowa Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

3.2

Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Des Moines, IA) in June 2017.

Interview

It was very mechanical. Seemed like the interviewers were new to interviewing. Ask a question, write the answer, ask a question, write the answer. For this level of a position I would have expected a dialog/conversation.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this position.   1 Answer

Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

A group interview conducted by a group of managers that asked a variety of questions related to experience, "what if" questions, reviewed the position and challenges involved, etc Each member of the group took notes and asked questions during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience that (etc)   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

The whole process took a while. I had to apply online and then wait for my credentials to be checked to make sure I qualified for the job. After about 2 weeks I received a phone call for an interview. After the interview I had to wait another 2 weeks to hear anything but I got a second interview. After the second interview I was offered the job. The whole process took about a month.

Interview Questions

• Who do you consider to be external and internal stakeholders for the state?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Nurse Clinician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Des Moines, IA).

Interview

Very long process.
    Once passes the computer screen, had to first complete written questions as a prescreen. It felt like a flashback to high school.
    For the actual interview, there was a panel of 3 people asking questions.
    Wanted a specific work example to answer every question - ex not just "how would you deal with..." but had to have a specific prior work example to provide for every questions.

Interview Questions

• many questions about how handle working with difficult people   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for salary negotiation - have to be hired at bottom of pay grade - prior experience not considered.

Public Service Executive Officer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Ames, IA) in March 2015.

Interview

A panel of three would take turns asking you questions These questions dealt with different aspects of your work experiences. There also were some hypothetical questions on what to do with an employee who was late all the time, who's performance levels were not being met. There were also questions on safety issues. Like how or what would be the best way to keep your staff safe when they are out in the field or doing testing in the lab.

Program Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Iowa (Des Moines, IA) in March 2014.

Interview

Four interviews in the process, starting with a voice interview, a managerial interview, a team interview, and a one-on-one interview. Sold the organization as very progressing, and it is, at the top. Depends on the department metric, however, as to how that plays out in the daily responsibilities.

Like much of government, lots of policy and rules to follow. Social media tightly monitored to be 'appropriate.'

Interview Questions

• Can you collaborate with a team?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Iowa in November 2010.

Interview

They gave me a background of the department and then asked me questions. They were basic interview questions like "Describe your self", "Why would you be a good fit for this position?", situational questions like "Describe a time when...", and general conversation about things on your resume, when you will be graduating, classes I was currently taking, etc.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of Iowa in March 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview with them first. Then I had an on-site interview. I was given five minutes to figure out a problem in the middle of the interview. I was shown around the whole office at the end of the interview. People there seem to be very nice.

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at State of Iowa in February 2009.

Interview

It was a comfortable setting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This is a grant position - no negotiating.