State of Maine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.2

Outpatient Clinician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in May 2016.

Interview

My qualifications were never called into question but the interviewer already had made their decisions, one of the individuals who were involved had a secret animosity towards me which had been revealed after they were discharged for boundary violations

Interview Questions

• Describe patient oriented treatment   1 Answer

Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardiner, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Maine (Gardiner, ME) in August 2014.

Interview

Standard process. Two interviewers who asked questions on qualifications, experience, and behavioral questions. Interviewers were very friendly and they were relaxed which helped reduce stress. Quite a few questions were asked (around 15) but the desired responses varied in length.

Human Services Enforcement Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of Maine (Portland, ME) in March 2014.

Interview

An application & cover letter with resume was required. Then candidates were required to take a written test. If you passed the test, you were scheduled for an interview. The top candidates were then contacted again for another interview.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for the State of Maine and DHHS in particular.   1 Answer

Environmental Specialist IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in January 2014.

Interview

This was a direct hire position, so I had to hand write my application (the fillable form did not work very well) and mail it. This was a little tedious, and I am not sure why they don't allow online submissions for these direct hire positions. I was contacted to interview for two positions (both Environmental Specialist IV, but with slightly different responsibilities) 25 days after the closing date. I thought this was a long waiting period, but the holidays probably affected that. The interviews were scheduled for the following week. I spent several hours of my time driving to the interviews, and I had to stay overnight in Augusta since they weren't scheduled on the same day. My expenses were not reimbursed since this is state government. I did think this was a little insane of me since the job pays about 20k less than I would make in state government in many states outside of New England and half of what I would make in the private sector. I was interested in the positions and in living in Maine, though, so I proceeded. I was required to bring a writing sample and references to the interviews. The interviewers were a panel of three people, and they each only asked a couple of questions, mostly aimed at project management skills. They really didn't ask any technical questions. The thing that really stood out was that most questions were hypothetical (what would you do...) and not based on what you actually did in the past. I was really thrown off during these interviews because both began with an extremely long hypothetical question that required me to take notes to keep track of what was said. This was a stressful way to begin the interview, and it wasn't really clear what they were looking for in my response. I actually asked them to clarify what they were looking for in this question during the second interview, and the person who asked it just shrugged mysteriously. I also thought two of the interviewers were very rude. One of them pointed out rudely that they can't write their notes as fast as I talk. They could have just asked politely for me to slow down. The other one, in response to a question about which departments I would be interacting with, said in a very condescending tone that this had already been covered during the interview. Overall, I felt that the interviewers' rude and distant behavior and hypothetical questions did not help me perform well. I usually feel that I do much better during interviews. I felt like I wasted my time and effort, especially for such a ridiculously low-paying job. Also, 21 says after the second interview, I still have received no rejection letter, even though I sent them the two required self-stamped envelopes.

Interview Questions

• A hypothetical question describing various projects given to you on different dates, by different departments and people. Provide a road map for how you would approach these priorities. The question was extremely lengthy, so you have to take notes.   Answer Question

Auditor II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in September 2013.

Interview

Online State of Maine openings, filed application, and made three copies of resume and transcripts. I was called for an interview, setup a date and time, showed up for the interview. Question and answer from a panel consisting or manager, supervisors, and sometimes a clerk. Sent email to thank them for the interview process and offered to provide any information they may want.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in situations phone calls, how would you handle irate clients, how do you organize work, what is your normal work routines, how do you handle work loads?   1 Answer

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in July 2013.

Interview

Questions of what would you do or how to manage a work load. How to handle stress, and stressful situations. Also, how to deal with demands and quotas. How to handle direct orders, confrontations, and personal level of achievements.

Interview Questions

• Upward mobility, hours of operations, security, travel, daily work schedule and processes, who to report to.   1 Answer

Tax Examiner Interview

Interview

Structured interview process with 2nd round with intermediate level manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set ranges.

Computer Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in February 2013.

Interview

It was smooth, questions were totally related to the job description and it was on SQL and PL/SQL. I expected it to be more technical, but it I got lucky when they just stuck to few basic questions

Interview Questions

• Contract Role, questions were totally technically.

1, Asked to write batch process.
      2. Asked to write SQL stored procedures
      3. Technical questions about PL/SQL
      4. Agile methodology questions   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in January 2013.

Interview

Very canned, fixed questions. You are graded exclusively on your answers. Your resume means almost nothing. Use buzzwords that apply to a state government setting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Refused job as current position was being offered as raise. This helped secure proper compensation and ultimate acceptance. don't act desperate.

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Maine (Augusta, ME) in May 2012.

Interview

Received several phone calls changing the interview time. When I got there they stated that this was a new position so they weren't 100% sure what they would be having me do.

Interview Questions

• How do you relate with people?   1 Answer