State of Michigan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of Michigan Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.9

Assistant Payment Worket Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan in June 2017.

Interview

Standard behavior base questions and a typing test. Passed both of those.. I was informed that they were going to complete a background check and reference check.. its going on a month and haven't heard anything back. I will wait a few more weeks to see where I stand.. will update later.

Interview Questions

• Would you accept this position if offered.   1 Answer

Assistance Payments Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Fairly quick interview, about 20 minutes. They have 2 sheets on the table in front of you and you are given a few minutes to look over questions.

I scored well on the interview questions, passed background check and reference check. Now I' am waiting on an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell how you have handled a difficult customer and what was the outcome.   2 Answers

Construction Safety Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Surreal, after checking in with the single 60 year old security guard in the 50 million dollar building with no one in it, the hiring manager comes down and escorts you to a little conference room. Bring five bucks for parking, apparently they don't validate and the lot only takes credit/debit cards. The main floor is like fort Knox. The conference room your heading toward is just past the kitchen stocked with every kind of food/coffee you could want for the taking. The hiring manager was professional and courteous offering me coffee twice, but you can tell he is apathetic and hates his job. There are two other people in the room, they are all nerved up and seated. They were wearing suits and ties, but you could tell it was for the occasion because they looked dated but new. I am pretty sure they were related, their names were both latino and they looked like father and son. They were so nervous they were shaking, it was weird and it made me nervous, I had to stop and take a breath before answering the 40 questions just to center myself against the vibrations they were emanating.
    They then start asking canned questions, taking turns reading from a sheet and taking notes on every word you utter. They will explain that some questions are to be answered in the STAR format and others are not, but will often fail to stipulate before a question. They will ask really absurd things like, "If you were inspecting a construction site and your colleague made an offensive remark to the foreman, how would you react?" or "Name all of the MIOSHA regulations you can." as if anyone memorizes those statutes that are updated with a encyclopedia on a yearly basis. I think you should answer, " MIOSHA 368.297 CFR subsection 53.125.47 alpha, - the operator of a forklift shall inspect the vehicle before ......." They never look at you, you will have no opportunity to say anything except at the end I was offered to ask any questions I may have. I asked them what were their names, if I could introduce myself and what it was they did for MIOSHA. They were in a hurry to get somewhere else, only one answered and stated his background was in plumbing.
    After the verbal Q and A, the hiring manager will take you to a room with about 50 cubicles in it and a load woman that cackles on the phone to her daughter nearby, she was the director of some division, she was eating something that smelled disgusting and her cubicle was filthy. He will sit you in a cubicle at a computer with some sort of scummy residue on the keyboard and chair arm rests, hand you written document that gives you instructions to answer some questions on a Word document you create and save to a folder, an Access document that was improperly formatted and you will have to fix, so brush up on MS Access, and a Excel spread sheet to complete a mileage log of some kind. You will follow the instructions but lettering will be too big for cells, cells will be merged and centered and look like crap. If you fix it to a professional standard you will worry that perhaps part of the test is to follow instructions even though it will end up looking like garbage. The Word document will ask a few ridiculous questions like, "What is a spud wrench?". I looked it up when I got home and realized we have one in our parts room at work and it hasn't been used in years. Another question was, "If you went to investigate an accident and the business owner would not allow you to enter his property, what would you do?" The written exercise will be timed, I think I was given 1.5 hours, the printer will not work so I didn't print it.
    Overall it was weird and it felt like a waste of time. I drove hours, there were probably 20 candidates like me because it took months to even get the interview and they will probably end up hiring a family member or state worker anyway. I could tell the older latino man did not like me for some reason, he kept giving me dirty looks from the very beginning. After about a month they sent an email from some other person saying they chose another candidate.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a situation where you were involved with a MIOSHA safety complaint inspection and how you handled it." (This is a STAR question)   1 Answer

CPS Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Jackson, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview and email interview was easy, face to face interview was a bit intimidating as it was a panel interview where there was no feedback from interviewers. The interview was about an hour and a half, and included typing a response to a predetermined scenario as well as questions about the demographics of the county I applied in. About a week after the interview I received my score for my interview and was informed my references would be checked. A week or so after that I was told I passed my interview and would be placed into a pool of candidates that may be selected anytime within the next 6 months.

Interview Questions

• Type a response to a predetermined scenario, know the county information for where you are applying.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a day later, when the application closed. Interview was with a panel of 4 people. 2 were leaders of the department and 2 were slightly above the level I applied for. Asked a couple questions about the job description and then had 9 behavioral questions. Called back after the weekend when they made the decision

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to use financial analysis to solve a problem?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you disagreed with a direct supervisor, and what did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question
    • There are many processes that are always changing, how do you choose which processes to learn about and how do you prioritize them?   Answer Question

Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Written portion for the first 30 minutes of the interview. Review a scenario inquiring if you approach a home that you were called to and it appears the mother is sleeping while in sole supervision of two small children with numerous safety hazards what do you think the appropriate action to take. Next is the oral portion of the interview where 3 supervisors ask you a panel of questions. Process is about 20 minutes. Star method

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan.

Interview

Short written time, then behavioral interview. None of the questions were difficult. There were provided questions just prior to starting the main competency interview. Three personal panel. Enjoyable interview actually.

Interview Questions

• Describe working with someone you didn't agree with.   1 Answer

Service Specialist (CPS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of two parts: a written assessment, where I was given a hypothetical scenario of a family's home and asked to identify the safety hazards and describe how I would discuss these hazards with the family, and an oral interview portion with one question per competency. I was given 15 minutes for the written portion and the oral interview lasted about 20 minutes. The administrator of the written portion was very pleasant and friendly, as were the two oral interviewers. The overall process was simple and enjoyable. Review the competencies and think of personal past examples to support each one, and you should have no problem passing the interview. I received an email the next morning stating that I passed and that my references were being checked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when communication assisted you in resolving a conflict   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to be adaptable to a situation   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Received a call days after the application. The interview was with two managers. Just have confidence, dress well, and have rehearsed answers you will do well.then y ask basic customer service questions. If you have done customer service you are ok. Very simple interview

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davison, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Davison, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

it was open interviews at a grocery store and i filled the application out and waited for my turn for the open interview. I was interviewed by 1 lady and a trainee. the asked multiple questions and seemed to like my answers. then they told me they would contact me one way or the other within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• they asked about my previous experiences working in the similar field.   1 Answer