State of Michigan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of Michigan Interview Questions

Interviews at State of Michigan

Configuration Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in November 2011.

Interview

Fill out an online application. Online job site is very easy to navigate and jobs are divided up in a common sense format. If application makes it through the selection process will be called for an interview. Typically only one interview required. Can take a long time for the process to unfold but depends entirely on the hiring manager. Have to submit to 3 different background checks for most IT positions.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions in my interview were difficult or unexpected. All very straight forward and typical.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Will pay you the same as you were making in your previous position if it falls within the pay scale for your position. No room for negotiation.

Correctional Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Jackson, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process is fairly straight forward. There is two senior officers or supervisors in a room that ask you a series of questions. The questions are geared around safety or what would you do in a certain situation. The you have to think about the worst case scenarios to questions they ask. They write down your response and they look for key words for you to pass the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst possible thing that could happen in a prison?   1 Answer

Parole Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Detroit, MI) in March 2012.

Interview

3 panel interview, nerve wrecking, I was offered the position and took the job. Started at 19/hr as it was somewhat of a promotional position as I was a corrections officer at the time. Usual starting range is around 15-16/hr

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a difficult client and how did you handle it. "S"ituation, "T"ask, "A"ction "R"esult. STAR. They like you to use the Start method when answering   Answer Question

Associate Transportation Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in September 2018.

Interview

It took the State a month to get back with me on GovernmentJobs.com. They called to set up the interview in about a week past the call date. It was a little confusing to find the correct building, park, and enter past security clearance, but overall if you give yourself enough time, this isn't that stressful. I met with the supervisor for the position I applied for, and then two members of the Transportation team. The questions were VERY technical, so I was glad that I thought to study the specifics of the position I applied for the night before. They asked me to explain how my experience (projects specific and generally) made me a good candidate for the position. All of the questions were pre-written. Not too much personal communication, but I was able to get the two executives to laugh. Overall a pleasant interview!

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of the MDOT Transportation policies?   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Grand Rapids, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied in person with resume. Recieved a call back a week later. Came in for a one on one interview and was asked to come back for a working interview the following week. The working interview lasted about three hours in the classroom. Afterwards I was told that I would hear back from them after they spoke with the classroom staff.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when I did not get along with a coworker, how did I handle the situation?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan in April 2010.

Interview

Interviewed by the executive panel, Job interview is composed of behavior based questions which involve work experience in managing conflict, understanding policy, and communication skills. You will be given opportunities to ask the executive panel questions. When this happens ask questions to make sure you clearly understand their expectations, goals and vision.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question to answer in this job is: "What makes you the best candidate or fit for this position?"   1 Answer

Clinical Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Adrian, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Adrian, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

Printed off my resume and application form and delivered it in person at the health department. I applied the second week of March and during the first week of April I got a call for interview which was scheduled 2 days later (today, 04/06)

The internet posting didn't describe the job in much detail but it listed # of hours per week and the hourly pay. They (3 person panel, all female nurses) gave me a form listing the full job description and asked if I had any questions about it. They told me it would be a fixed schedule, every Tuesday & Friday, and maybe more days as I gain experience. No more than 19 hours because they're not able to hire any more people at this time & provide benefits. They said I might have to undergo a background check, drug test, and fingerprinting if hired (but that might only apply to nurses). They gave me a tour of the building and a business card to call if I had any questions.

Update: a few hours after my interview they called to say I was hired. They emailed me telling me the dress code and where to report for the first day. She also said I need to bring everything to set up a direct deposit but no other mention of a drug test.

Interview Questions

• • tell me about yourself
      - I told them where I graduated college and gave a brief rundown of my previous jobs.

• after giving me the form of the full job description, they asked why I feel I'm right for the job
      - I said I had plenty of lab experience from college, and I wanted to go into the healthcare field. The online posting said they preferred someone who knows Spanish so I said my parents are immigrants so we spoke Spanish at home.

• what healthcare training do you have? any experience taking vital signs? have you taken any courses such as medical terminology or anatomy & physiology?

• if we talked to someone who knew you well, what would they say are your three best qualities and one thing you could improve upon?

• how do you feel about blood/urine or administering blood sugar tests? would you feel uncomfortable in any way if you're dealing with someone different, for example someone you recognize coming in regularly for pregnancy and STI testing.

• what would you do if the patient you're speaking with tells you they're being abused by their significant other?
      - offer them different ways to seek help, either with the police or social services. I would also notify the rest of the healthcare team and make sure it was on record if it wasn't already.

• how do you typically communicate, informally or do you wait to speak until spoken to?
      - with new people I try not to be silent but I don't want to talk their ear off either. I'll make some small talk but I'll also wait until I'm directly addressed, overall I prefer to be informal.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Only one interview in front of three managers, only one of them was the direct manager that I would be working with. The questions were pretty standard, you need to be able to expand on your experiences from your resume and prepare answers to generic interview questions. I did have to take a "writing" test at the end. I had 30 minutes to analyze graphics that they had provided - I think my manager just wanted to make sure I knew how to write.

Interview Questions

• The writing test was pretty unexpected. Just make sure things make sense and edit it for grammar.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in December 2010.

Interview

Sometimes when you get an interview, you may be unknowingly up against someone who is already in that position. How is that possible? The State of Michigan hires subcontractors in some areas. When a full time position becomes available, there may be a subcontractor already doing that job who would like to move to state employment. By law, the job has to be posted for all and multiple candidates must be interviewed. If you are one of the candidates chosen to meet the letter of the law, you have no chance of getting the job because it is going to the person who has already been doing that job as a subcontractor. So, if you get an interview with the state, make sure you ask before your interview if there has been someone already doing that job as a subcontractor. There is no point in going further in the process unless you need a practice interview. I do not think this practice is illegal, however, it is definitely misleading for those who think they have a real shot at a job but in reality do not.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember any extremely difficult or unexpected questions. Management uses a standard list of interview questions and chooses pseudo-randomly from the list.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is the level of the position you qualify for and this is what you are going to make.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied online, got a call about 2 weeks later to come in for an interview that same week. I had read all about the star method and behavioral interview questions.... and then I didn't get any. Just general, basic questions about experience. They had me do a writing task at the end and asked for references. I was told they wanted to hire someone within 2 or 3 weeks and I haven't heard a peep a week later so I'm assuming it's dead in the water. Easy interview though, and the people made me feel pretty comfortable.