State of Michigan Services Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of Michigan Services Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at State of Michigan

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Grand Rapids, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

You interview in front of a panel of two supervisors. They alternate in asking you questions. You are also required to take a written test. The interview itself was fairly short. They don't require you to use the STAR or CAR interview format but they still prefer that format. They will also give you a few moments to look over the questions before they conduct the interview.

Interview Questions

• How have you prioritized work when faced with numerous deadlines.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for State of Michigan

Services Specialist Interview

Interview

Maybe I should not have been surprised, but it was very formal. There were five people in the room and they all had questionnaires. They went around in a circle where one person asked a question and then they all took notes. The room was hot and cramped and it was not a very welcoming environment.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone who has trouble communicating clearly?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Kalamazoo, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online in Febuary 2015, received an email in June to set up an interview. Interview was set for July 7 2015. Was placed in a office and was ask to write to my supervisor about a case scenario, was given 20min. Then given 10min to look over the interview questions. The interview is STAR based and you can look it up on the Internet. I was interviewed by 3 people. A week later was notified by email that I passed the interview. Was placed in the hiring pool July 23, 2015. Was offered a contingenal offer in September 23, went same day to take drug test. Now waiting for a final offer and hope to start by October 2015.

Interview Questions

• Just look for STAR interview on the Internet and that will help you   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Ithaca, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted via email 3 months later informing me of an interview. Behavior based interview by the director, program manager, and supervisor. Contacted a week later with an offer. Have been waiting for 3 weeks for a conditional offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time communication helped you resolve a conflict.
      Tell us a time you had to make a decision without all of the info.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Jackson, MI) in March 2014.

Interview

Give you all the questions they are going to ask and give you 15 minutes to supply answers. Can use any notes and can read right from the notes when answering the oral interview.

Interview Questions

• If you had one opportunity, one chance, would you capture it?   1 Answer

Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan.

Interview

STAR behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you encountered a moral conflict in your job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Ignace, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Saint Ignace, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

Brought in to complete an interview. Usually 3 supervisors will interview you. They change the questions on a yearly basis. When you're there interviewing, they give you an opportunity to review the questions before the interview when you're writing a short response to a scenario. All of the questions are based on scenarios and how would you react.

Interview Questions

• If a parent was talking to you and questioning you because you don't have children of your own and you don't know what it takes to parent a child. How would you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online in early November and was contacted via email by the executive secretary at the end of February. The email requested my official transcripts so they could possibly interview me, so I sent those. I did not even remember applying, so had to check through email records to see what I was being contacted about. My records indicated it was a DHS Services Specialist. I was offered an interview slot via email about 2 days later, which I set up for about 4 days away. I was informed in the email that the interview was NOT behavioral, so STAR answers were not necessary to prepare.
    I was interviewed by 2 supervisors, who were pleasant enough and followed their protocols and written scripts to the letter. Nearly all of the questions were, though not specifically stated, behavioral questions. The STAR method seemed most appropriate, despite what I was told earlier. The supervisors described the position to me, and it was completely different from what I applied for, save the title and pay. Very disappointing. The questions were easy enough, pretty standard. I think SOM offers practice resources.
    Afterwards, I took a writing test. I had to summarize a CPS call/ police report into 2 paragraphs. I was given 20 minutes. I was told that they would then run my background checks, call my references, and would be in touch in 1.5-2 weeks.
    I got a call just under 2 weeks later with a conditional offer (asking for drug test).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to find a new way to do something   Answer Question

The job was not what I expected- it was a call center rather than field work, and was second shift rather than first.

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at State of Michigan (Lansing, MI) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted two months later to set an interview.

Before the interview begins, you have 20 minutes to type a one-page memo to your supervisor, based off of information given to you of a case.

After the memo is completed, you have 10 minutes to review the interview questions.

The interview is with two supervisors -- Foster Care and CPS -- and lasts 30-45 minutes.

Afterwards, it's just a waiting game to hear your interview results. It took me two weeks to hear I passed the interview, then another three weeks before I was given the conditional offer.

Interview Questions

• There is nothing difficult if you prepare yourself. It's a STAR based interview, and there is help on the State of Michigan website. If you want the position badly enough, you will take the time to research everything involved with a STAR interview.

My best advice? Be thorough with every answer. Make sure to identify the situation, your actions, and the results.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a situation that you disagreed with an objective from your supervisor. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable. State determines starting salary based on education (college degree is needed for this position) and experience.

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of Michigan (East Lansing, MI) in January 2011.

Interview

Behavioral Interviewing... Talk about your experiences and the outcomes of your decisions. Google behavioral based interviewing skills and watch videos. Review the objectives for the job you are interviewing for. This will help prepare you for the different types of scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you disagreed with your supervisor and tell how you went about discussing the situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not applicable. I accepted offer.