State of Montana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at State of Montana

2.6

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State of Montana (Helena, MT).

Interview

The state had me take two online tests for competency. One was an intelligence exam. The other was a programming proficiency exam
    I interviewed with three individuals. The process took about an hour. It took a few days to make an offer after a background check and references were checked.

Interview Questions

• Describe the life cycle process of software development.   Answer Question

Client Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Billings, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of Montana (Billings, MT) in October 2014.

Interview

A short face to face interview consisting of a small panel. Consisted of three supervisors who clearly did not get along well. They asked inappropriate personal questions regarding age and commented on the failings of current employees who were of opposite gender.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you failed and why?   2 Answers

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at State of Montana (Helena, MT) in February 2009.

Interview

Standard questions that are scored by three interviewers.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helena, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of Montana (Helena, MT) in June 2011.

Interview

Applied and was called for a scheduled interview submitted required documents including a resume and referrals was interviewed by a panel They were very polite. the job required a lot of travel and was focused on other aspects of natural resource management than what I had been working in for many years. they also were not comfortable that I had been self employed for many years I was a square in a round peg

Staff Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Missoula, MT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at State of Montana (Missoula, MT) in August 2013.

Interview

The Managing Attorney called me up, based on my experience and asked if i'd be interested in taking the position. I had gained a reputation for good work in poverty law.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of Montana (Helena, MT) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process included a lengthy written test and a face-to-face oral interview in front of a 3 person panel. The written portion probed for succinct subject matter appropriate for the position being offered. Some of the questions seemed to be geared toward a finals test rather than the type of questions one would expect on an actual hiring tool. It gave some pause to wonder if the test could extract or indicate one's job skill levels accurately. The face-to-face appeared to be an industry standard type of interview with typical questions being asked and the sense that the panel across the table was trying to gain an overall assessment of the professional and personal presence of the applicant and how that person would perform in their work environment. No surprises there.

Interview Questions

• There was a question relating to internal hierarchy and following chain of command regarding a project overrun. The wording sounded like it could be a trick question at the time that perhaps only someone from the inside could answer correctly and only if they knew the internal management structure and who outside of the immediate project team was responsible for which facet of the project component.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State of Montana (Helena, MT) in February 2010.

Interview

I responded to a position posting on the state website, and after about two weeks completed a telephone interview and asked to come onsite for a panel interview. I felt everyone involved was professional and courteous, much more so than the norm for other firms I'd encountered in my search. Approximately three weeks after the panel interview I was offered and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a really challenging project and how you worked to overcome the challenges involved.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation focused on salary, and given this is a government position, the employer's room to maneuver was minimal. However, they did what they could to accommodate, and I feel the process was fair.

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of Montana (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was attended by an HR specialist. The supervisor and two other members of that work team attended. They were pretty stoic with the exception of the HR specialist. They did not seem to sell the job but were slightly warmer when pressed for more information.

I was asked a series of questions that required me to recall a specific instance in my life when I had dealt with a particular behavioral issue. In some cases I did not have a particular behavioral issue that stood out in my mind but only a pattern of having to be confidential or handle unpleasant customers etc. The interview questions were structured in such a way that you could not answer them fully if you had never had a singular poignant experience but rather simply routine experiences of that nature. I understand why they use behavioral questions. However, feel that in this case they were very limiting and might have encouraged applicants to embellish to meet the guidelines. I did not embellish and I feel that worked against me.

I would like to note that I have been to approximately 20 State of Montana interviews and have never received an offer. I have been to a number of private sector interviews as well and have never been in a position where I did not receive a job offer. I'm not sure why I receive a job offer for every private-sector interview and have never received one for a state of Montana interview.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State of Montana in September 2015.

Interview

First interview was with a panel of 5-6 people. Overall pretty professional, except for one member of the panel asked if I had kids. I felt qualified and expressed I was looking for less hours than full time.
    The second interview was a tour of the office. We talked about the departments future and where I fit in. I felt I shared the same vision as my supervisor and was excited about the new opportunity. I was offered the job a few days later with the pay I was hoping for and the hours I wanted.

Probation Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at State of Montana (Bozeman, MT) in September 2013.

Interview

Long and arduous. Arbitrary employment questions. First had to submit a lengthy state application. Received a call 2 months after submitting and they scheduled a phone interview. The next day, a personality profile was scheduled, 1 week later did a background check consent. 1 month later had a group interview after, 1-1 later that day, drug screen the next day and an offer 2 days later

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflicts at work. Give an example.   1 Answer