State of South Carolina Interview Questions | Glassdoor

State of South Carolina Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2017

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at State of South Carolina in December 2016.

Interview

First was an email to set up phone interview. Phone interview was with 3 or 4 committy members and asked 3 questions. 1 on hipaa, one on experience and one on a personal level. Then follow up email a couple days later to offer a 2nd interview in person. Going for that one this week so well see how it goes

Interview Questions

• what does confidentiality mean to you and are you able to abide by guidelines of privacy   Answer Question

Negotiation

Phone interview to offer for 2nd interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at State of South Carolina.

Interview

Applied through the government website. Got a call for an interview from a supervisor after a week. Very accommodating with scheduling the interview.
    Interview itself was for a small panel, and it was very casual and welcoming. Standard interview questions plus some questions about specific situations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Try and negotiate but it might not be too possible, depends on your licensure/credentials etc.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State of South Carolina (Columbia, SC) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after the application window closed and was asked to interview in person. The interview was conducted by the head of the department (direct supervisor for the position) and a colleague. The interview was very relaxed and informal. As it was a new position they couldn't offer me much in the way of what the day-to-day would be like.

At the end of the interview I was told I would be contacted soon to either arrange a follow-up interview or to be told that I had not been selected for a follow-up, though I was never contacted either way.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why was I leaving my current position?   Answer Question
    • 2. What experience did I have with certain areas that the job dealt with.   Answer Question
    • 3. What were some challenges I had faced and how had I dealt with them.   Answer Question
    • 3. What did I feel like my management style consisted of.   Answer Question
    • 5. What were some projects I had undertaken and how had I approached them.   Answer Question

Compliance- DHEC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at State of South Carolina (Columbia, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

If you apply for a job at DHEC, be prepared to wait literally 2-4 months for a response. As the state's biggest agency, they are in no rush to hire anyone. I applied for a job with them in early October 2015. I interviewed a little before Halloween. About two weeks later, I was brought in for a second interview. I didn't hear anything until January 2016. After Thanksgiving, I was already pretty much set on declining any job offer from them. If they take this long to make a decision on hiring me, what else takes them this long to do? I don't want to work for someone who takes nearly three months to make a decision. The interviews themselves were just so awkward. The first interview was a panel and maybe one person in the room felt "at ease" and everyone else seemed just so tense and clearly didn't want to be there.

Interview Questions

• There is now a set of standard interview questions that all interviewers have to ask (state-wide), per state HR rules. They're pretty simple: biggest challenge you've faced, what experience do you have that relates to the position, why do you want to leave your current job....etc.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at State of South Carolina.

Interview

The interview was a panel setup. It was not that bad overall. There were questions to describe your accounting experience and government finance experience. The next set of questions were situational questions. Tell me a time when... They appreciate this type of answer: Situation, Tasks, Action, Response. The STAR Method. Overall the interview is not difficult at all. Give good answers and you will be fine.

Health Sciences Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State of South Carolina (Charleston, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

Panel for staff ask job related questions. Also a presentation was required. I was able to ask questions of the panel. Also talked to HR rep. Straight forward questions.

Human Services Coordinator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State of South Carolina (Charleston, SC) in March 2015.

Interview

Group interview process with the addition of a written test demonstrating how you would conduct an initial investigation for investigating a welfare check on a child with a documented history of domestic violence exposure. The scenario was presented without the ability to prepare for it and was not disclosed in the interview invitation. I found it very intimidating and difficult.

I was not given an invitation for a second interview and was not told that I was not selected so I had to assume that I was not.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of South Carolina (Columbia, SC) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied at the end of August and I received a call to set up an interview a week later. I had a small panel interview about 2 weeks after applying. The interviewers were so nice and warm. Being a former interviewer I must say that was an awesome panel with awesome questions that really allow the interviewee to sell themselves. I received a call from one of my references a hour after the interview telling me they called to get a precise view of who I really am. My current supervisor was really busy the next day and they couldn't get in touch with her, so they called me to get a number of another one of my supervisors. I was so shocked by the above and beyond act and I really appreciated it. Now I'm currently in the waiting game, I don't know if I will have a second interview or an offer next. I'm excited and hopeful that I will land this awesome opportunity with the state and those great employees!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • If you had two companies one that offered a better salary and the other that offered better benefits. Which company would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

My interview outcome isn't accurate, they're currently doing my background and reference check right now. My advice is be yourself and stay calm. Also take a second to take the question in before you answer it and don't beat yourself if you don't get this job. It's an accomplishment just to get the interview! Hope this helps you!

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State of South Carolina.

Interview

The process was much quicker than I expected. It took 2 months after I completed the online application. I was contacted to come in for an interview, and shortly after that (4 days) I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Provide us with links from your current job to any work with libraries.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes. The process was simple. I was dealing with the manager and the HR person at the same time in this phase of pre-employment.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State of South Carolina.

Interview

Some positions take several months to hire. Apply for as many as are listed online as you will likely be considered for other positions.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain your theoretical orientation to a potential client?   Answer Question