StayWell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

StayWell Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.7

Client Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at StayWell in September 2011.

Interview

The department's managing editor followed up with me by email, shortly after I applied for the position. She requested a letter detailing my reason for my interest in the position since the website I applied through wouldn't allow me to submit one with my application. Within 24 hours of submitting the letter, I received a request for a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to complete an editorial test, which was emailed to me that evening, with a request that I complete it within 48 hours.

The editorial test as a, maybe 600 word article, that needed heavy editing to fit the Krames style and tone. I was given a word count to aim for when making cuts. What needed to be done was pretty obvious.

Within 24 hours of emailing the completed test back to the company, I received a request for an in-person interview, and I was asked to bring samples of work I'd done.

The managing editor was friendly, approachable, talkative. She was articulate in the way she described the department's protocol and the position itself. She seemed to genuinely like her job. Her boss was there as well, and had very little to say, but seemed friendly, and was responsive to my questions. They looked over my samples very briefly, seemed to like them, and I offered to leave them, but a glance was all they seemed to need. They gave me a handful of their own publications and sent me on my way.

The total in-person interview took 2 hours, mostly on account of the lengthy paper application I was asked to complete in the reception area. Fortunately I was allowed to submit my resume in lieu of HANDWRITING all of my work experience information on page 7 and 8 of the 20 page application.

After talking with both of my interviewers for over an hour, seemingly answering all of their questions to their satisfaction, (the interviewer finished out the interview by commenting that she'd written questions down but I'd answered them without her evening having to ask), and some friendly patter about the neighborhood we both lived in, and the convenience of the public transportation options from there . . .

I went home. I looked over the materials I'd been given and emailed the managing editor a thank you, expressing my interest in the position and asking for a time line on the decision. She replied fairly quickly, but didn't volunteer any information about the timeline. Then . . .

Nothing. Radio silence. I emailed a followed up a week after our last correspondence and received no reply. 12 days after the in-person interview, I'd received no notice about the position being filled, no form letter thanking me for interviewing, nothing.

I did, however, notice that on the Monday following my in-person, the position I'd interviewed for was reposted to their website.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if the marketing/editorial work I'd done in my last position had measurable effects, and wanted to know specifically how those results were measured.   1 Answer

Software Architect/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at StayWell (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

Interview questions started very simple and got progressively complex. Focus became solid OOP design principles with heavy emphasis on C# conventions. The most difficult questions surrounded an understanding of linq fundamentals. The interviewer was a venerated Team Lead and was very "corporate style" in his attire, demeanor and technical focus. I was not impressed by the company based on the interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain how to iterate over a list of items and create a new list based on value conditions?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were very generous. But I think they screen salary caps based on industry standards through recruiters. It is rare that anyone hires outside of a recruitment office.

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at StayWell (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

Panel Style- very easy and short. They did most of the talking about trying to sell me on the company. I was not impressed with the leadership or the environment. The office seemed vacant and the employees were not very happy. Doom and gloom was the feeling I got from being there. Not what I what I want in a career.

Senior Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yardley, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at StayWell (Yardley, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

Phone interview first. That was followed by an editing test that was sent to me by the hiring manager. Then, I was called in for an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Last, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager's manager.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at StayWell (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2011.

Interview

1 Phone interview, 1 in person interview. Discussed software knowledge and past experiences. Offered through a recruiter 6 month contract-to-hire. Talked to the QA Manager, and had a group interview with the project manager and three members of the prospective team.

Interview Questions

• Name something you did at your previous job that you were proud of?   1 Answer

Implementation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at StayWell (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

Didn't seem like the interviewer was prepared adequately. Pretty basic questions and not very engaging, as if she had something better to do. Seemed like she wasn't very happy in her own job.

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at StayWell (Evanston, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Met with the hiring manager on the first interview. On the second interview, met with other senior designers who reviewed my portfolio and asked questions. I felt it was a positive experience and was really excited about going to work with this company. Hiring manager wasn't the chatty type, so it all went fairly smoothly and quickly. It was also great to meet some of the fellow designers in the second interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my skills and experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. I was offered a specific salary and it was an "accept it" or "don't accept it" kind of scenario.

Client Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at StayWell in January 2013.

Interview

The hiring manager reached out to me first through email. She asked for some writing samples and then asked me to edit an article as part of a writing test. I was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. The interviewer did most of the talking.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle it if a coworker wasn't pulling their weight?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate much. I asked for the highest salary for the job and I did get that, but there was no discussion about benefits or vacation time.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yardley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at StayWell (Yardley, PA) in January 2013.

Interview

Telephone Screening first, then followed up with quick notification for an in person interview, person interviewing built up the company, the position, very nice window dressing for the site offered a position almost right away. Pay was low

Interview Questions

• Why have you been leaving companies after 2 or 3 years?   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to this company from your others jobs?   1 Answer

Pay was 13.00 per hour for this position. Company did not present themselves as very transparent about the company commission structure which after further questioning said it was once a year and eluded what cost the potential employer could guestimate for health care cost etc..Offer given and accept or decline at moment of offer. The salary range should of been discussed initially. The training for the position would be quick and then you would be doing the job.

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at StayWell in February 2012.

Interview

I applied for this job via the internet. They liked my resume and asked me to fill out a more formal application and Email it to them before a phone screen from HR. Then I had another phone screen with the hiring manager not long after that.

A few days later, it was decided the hiring manager wanted to meet me so I came in one day to meet this person and the person in HR. It was a general "get to know you" interview with the hiring manager. The questions were mostly background related. We seemed to hit it off relatively well. Same could be said for the person in HR. It seemed like a very laid back environment when I was there. Friendly people.

They decided to bring me back in for a 2nd round of interviews with another 4 or 5 people. Most of the interviews were background related and how my qualifications would fit into the position. There may have been a behavioral based question or two thrown in for good measure. In general, I thought I did well on all of them. The only one I wasn't entirely sure about was the manager of the hiring manager. This person seemed a little difficult to get a feel for. Very nerdy and a bland personality.

I was told I'd know an answer in a week or two but it took them several weeks to get back to me. I had followed up a few times to see the status of the situation but the hiring manager was nowhere to be found on either Email or telephone (left a voice message). Finally about a month after my last interview with them, I received a letter in the mail telling me they were still looking but I wasn't under consideration any longer. Of course, I pretty much knew by that point by their lack of response that I wasn't getting the position. They left me hanging for so long that it was obvious. I'd have preferred if the hiring manager could have at least talked to me on the phone after the time I had spent meeting with their people. I thought I deserved at least a courtesy call on it.

Anyway, the interviews were not challenging or intense so if you interview here, just do the normal prep work and you should be fine.

The one red flag I did feel about the place is that it appears that most (all?) of the management flies in from other (distant) states every week and doesn't appear to have a real commitment to the local area. It makes you wonder what the future of the place is going to be. Preparing it to be sold? Lack of long term commitment at the top? It gives the wrong impression to candidates and I'd have to wonder what employees think.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to this position at StayWell Health?   Answer Question