Steak n Shake Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

1.9

Fountain Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (New York, NY).

Interview

I was a little irked that the man who actually contacted me for the interview wasn't there for the interview and waited about 15 minutes for someone to speak to me but the people who came to speak to me were very polite, friendly and informative and I was asked back for a second interview with the man who initially contacted me so fingers crossed!

Food Prep Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fleming Island, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Fleming Island, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Horrible unorganized management. They had 8 people show up for interviews, told us that they did not realize how many were coming in. Sent most home telling them they would follow up with a phone call. This is what you want a prospective new employee's first impression of a business? Who would want their first job to be with a group (?) of managers who operate like they are a bunch of monkeys fornicating a football?

Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Pensacola, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

So I filled out an application and was called in for an interview. I was pretty excited. I dressed pretty nice and went to the interview. And my first impression was how bad it looked. The workers just look dead and some were standing around and gossiping. The kitchen was dirty and crowded. But I decided to go for it. The manager handed me a paper application and told me to fill it out. Once I finished I went to hand it to him and he told me to wait until he interviews the first guy. While i was sitting a older guy came and told the manager everything was horrible and he wouldnt be returning. Let me tell you. The interviewee that went before me was dressed horribly. Saggy pants. Black shirt. A big jacket. I'm not judging but that isn't proper! I sat and waited and watched his interview. They hired him. Then it was my turn. The manager came to me and told me he will be back and I waited 25 minutes and he never showed. So I walked out. And he called me a hour or so later. I didn't answer. That entire interview was unprofessional.

Hostess/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2017.

Interview

I walked in and had to wait for about 15 minutes but it was no big deal. I was interviewed by two people. First it was just the actual manager. I had a resume and reccomendation letter whIch impressed. Then the general manager came and interviewed me.it didn't even feel like an interview. We joked around and laughed

Restaurant Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (New York, NY).

Interview

You are interviewed first by talent acquisition then the DM. Then you are required a job shadow and two more phone interviews. One with training supervisor and the second with the regional operation manager.

Hostess/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Orlando, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a very short interview, Probably 15 minutes at the most. The GM was very nice and told me the job is mine as long as my background check is clear, and I'm Currently waiting but it's only been a day!

Kitchen Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Powell, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Powell, OH).

Interview

I went to indeed.com then Received a phone call not too long after that. Went into the scheduled interview appointment and it was normal interview. Professional and very down to earth setting.

Grill Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Palm Bay, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Showed up. Went to a table and manager came out and talked to me about the difficulties of the job. Asked me questions then scheduled a second interview with the GM.
    GM interview was the same but the GM asked different questions.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Collinsville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (Collinsville, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Easy interview. I was interviewed for the general manager, and she just asked me a few simple questions and had a short chat with me about my hobbies, and explained to me that they really needed good employees who would treat customers with respect. Interview took about 5 minutes.

I got hired on the spot as a drive thru operator because she thought I had a clear loud voice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for steak n shake?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steak n Shake (South Bend, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

Two interviews were nessecary to get promoted to this position. Human Resources and the Division President. Everyone in upper management wants to see people succeed so it was more of a peep talk than an interview. Before hand there was a period where I was in an acting GM role. Too see if I could handle and enjoy the new position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are ready to run a store?   1 Answer
    • What has been your biggest struggle in preparing for this role?   1 Answer
    • What strength do you have that will help you?   1 Answer