Steelcase Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

3.2

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was comfortable yet challenging at the same time. The interviewer was very friendly and asked interesting questions about both your work style and your personality. Overall great experience.

Senior Software Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

First was phone interview with HR, second phone interview was with hiring manager and one team member, third interview was at Steelcase headquarter in Grand Rapids, MI.
    In headquarter, first met with Business Partner, Human Resources, HR Business Partner person for 30 minutes, very nice person, chat was normal HR questions and building visit and how teams are working here.

After Business Partner, Human Resources, HR Business Partner person, met with Software QA team which has 6 members, two of them joined from Mexico over video.

Team was very friendly I didn't feel at all that I am here for an interview but was feeling like I am here for a friendly chat. Only one thing surprised me and that was "all questions were printed and distributed among team members" and members were asking me one by one from that printed sheet.

After team, met with QA director, another friendly person, explained me everything and asked me few questions like why Steelcase, what I am looking for etc.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you think will be challenging for you in this position?
      2. Tell us about how you would conduct this research project from beginning to end
      3. Why do you want to work for Steelcase?
      4. If your interview yourself, what question you will ask right now which we haven't ask?
      5. How you handle the situation if your team member is not performing as expected.
      6. introduce yourself
      7. If you miss target date, what would you do?
      8. If you have one duck of horse size and 100 horses for duck size, you will fight to which?
      9. Difference between Test Plan and Test Strategy
      10. Are you happy with your current management and working environment
      11. Do you know about integration testing?
      12. Have you work on a project where more than one product managers are?

That's all I remember
      1 Answer

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Steelcase in October 2016.

Interview

I only had an initial phone interview with the HR recruiter, since I was applying from long distance. It did not go well. The HR rep was rude and asked insinuating questions. It did not give me a very good impression of the corporate culture and I'm thankful It didn't go any further. Companies think it's acceptable to treat potential job candidates like garbage, since you need them more than they need you. However, this kind of logic fails to consider that one bad review on a site like this may in the future cost you hundreds of qualified employees. The HR person is the first impression anyone will receive of your company. You want that to be a good one.

Interview Questions

• What have you been doing with yourself for the last four years?   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

Went through two phone interviews done by a headhunter company, followed by an onsite interview at Steelcase. The head hunter company pointed out to me that Steelcase focuses on the STAR interviewing technique. Rather than having a normal conversation from one person to another they ask all these psychologic questions like "tell me about a time when you had a dispute with a colleague...". It felt awkward, uncomfortable and impersonal and unrealistic. Many START-technique questions instead of a normal conversation. Before the onsite interview I was very excited about the opportunity but after the onsite interview I was less impressed, especially with the work place. Not really any different then any other tech-company I've seen, but Steelcase claims they want to change the way people work and want to improve the work environments making the workplace a more comfortable environment. There is a very good video on their website about that. Seeing the workplace in person, I didn't get the feeling they implement what they advertise in their own department (at least in Portland). The only impressive room I saw was the meeting room with state of the art video conferencing technology (better than I've seen so far in any company). The Manager who interviewed me appeared to have a vague understanding of what the job duties really are and what the job is about. I found it hard to get my questions (simple questions) answered. Notice that I only saw the Portland office. Can't comment on other sites. Bottom line, I feel if you really want a job at Steelcase, you must play the STAR interviewing game well (Google: "STAR interview techniques"). Not my cup of tea.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

Good 45-min discussion with recruiter (excellent follow up) followed one week later by 1 hr onsite interview with hiring manager and two weeks later 4 hr onsite interview with team members/leadership (5 people). All communication and logistics were handled well, communication was good. Still waiting for feedback and next steps.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you consider one of your riskiest professional decision? What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

SAM (Strategic Account Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Baltimore, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

Was recruited by a head hunter. A telephone interview was arranged. Spoke with Steelcase VP for 90 minutes. (initial interview). Was told it went very well and would be contacted for the next level interview. Checked back a few times, things were delayed due to business reasons/ national trade show (Neocon). Was later told that Steelcase was not interested in hiring someone that "came from the Dealership level". This wasn't accurate as I had been with a major competitor for over 20 years.

Interview Questions

• Need to be able to: Strengthen relationship with Key Decision Maker   1 Answer
    • Need to displace or win against a strong competitor.   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Steelcase.

Interview

Very drawn out process. Communication gaps often lasted for weeks. In total, there were 4 phases, 7 interviews, and 3 hours of personality/cognitive tests. Ultimately I was one of two final candidates when they hired internally instead. Despite their encouragement, this slow decision-making culture would deter me from applying again.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. (Either with guided questions or directly asked as such, this is how every interview I had with Steelcase started.)   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be challenging for you in this position?   Answer Question

Health and Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process consisted of a series of three phone screenings, when then ended with the job not being funded and the posting canceled before an in-person interview could occur. It was disappointing that they couldn't move forward with the position because of budgeting. However, it's interesting that I saw the same position posted on career websites for up to a month after I was told that the position was canceled.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed my work history and reasons for leaving each job.   1 Answer

Specials Engineering Quoting Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase.

Interview

The interviewing process went very well.......through all five interviews. A bit overkill for what they are looking for. I thought it was a lock and 4 out of the 5 interviewers liked me very well and I had an onsite recruiter really pushing for me but one of the interviewers didn't like an answer to one question about how a conflict was handled 15 years ago. More qualified than any other candidates and was exactly what they told me they were looking for but the position was a non-started due to one thing.

Procurement Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Steelcase.

Interview

I get the interview through on campus recruiting, and i got the interview the day after. The interview questions are not hard and the stress level was low. I think the recruiters are looking for personalities and related experience,