Steelcase Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Steelcase Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2017

3.1

Logistics Interview

Interview

I drive to the business HQ in Grand Rapids. I was interviewed by two of the managers in logistics who asked me about my skills, interests and experience. They reimbursed me for gas and such and everyone was very nice. Very relaxed interview

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

Went through two phone interviews done by a headhunter company, followed by an onsite interview at Steelcase. The head hunter company pointed out to me that Steelcase focuses on the STAR interviewing technique. Rather than having a normal conversation from one person to another they ask all these psychologic questions like "tell me about a time when you had a dispute with a colleague...". It felt awkward, uncomfortable and impersonal and unrealistic. Many START-technique questions instead of a normal conversation. Before the onsite interview I was very excited about the opportunity but after the onsite interview I was less impressed, especially with the work place. Not really any different then any other tech-company I've seen, but Steelcase claims they want to change the way people work and want to improve the work environments making the workplace a more comfortable environment. There is a very good video on their website about that. Seeing the workplace in person, I didn't get the feeling they implement what they advertise in their own department (at least in Portland). The only impressive room I saw was the meeting room with state of the art video conferencing technology (better than I've seen so far in any company). The Manager who interviewed me appeared to have a vague understanding of what the job duties really are and what the job is about. I found it hard to get my questions (simple questions) answered. Notice that I only saw the Portland office. Can't comment on other sites. Bottom line, I feel if you really want a job at Steelcase, you must play the STAR interviewing game well (Google: "STAR interview techniques"). Not my cup of tea.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

Good 45-min discussion with recruiter (excellent follow up) followed one week later by 1 hr onsite interview with hiring manager and two weeks later 4 hr onsite interview with team members/leadership (5 people). All communication and logistics were handled well, communication was good. Still waiting for feedback and next steps.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you consider one of your riskiest professional decision? What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

SAM (Strategic Account Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Baltimore, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

Was recruited by a head hunter. A telephone interview was arranged. Spoke with Steelcase VP for 90 minutes. (initial interview). Was told it went very well and would be contacted for the next level interview. Checked back a few times, things were delayed due to business reasons/ national trade show (Neocon). Was later told that Steelcase was not interested in hiring someone that "came from the Dealership level". This wasn't accurate as I had been with a major competitor for over 20 years.

Interview Questions

• Need to be able to: Strengthen relationship with Key Decision Maker   1 Answer
    • Need to displace or win against a strong competitor.   Answer Question

Security Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

Hiring process moved at an expected pace, getting an interview or update at least once a week. Everyone I spoke with, from the receptionist to members of the department, was friendly and easy to talk to. I started with a phone interview, then had two rounds of in person interviews. The first was with 3 people, and most of the time was spent either explaining the position, or asking me about my resume and experience. The second interview was with 4 people, and was spent asking more behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel you can handle learning multiple operating systems at once?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

Cursory, largely through recruiter. Had to then interview with eventual boss, talk to three others on team, talk to someone on a totally different team, meet with an Industrial Psychologist.

Senior Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Steelcase.

Interview

Very drawn out process. Communication gaps often lasted for weeks. In total, there were 4 phases, 7 interviews, and 3 hours of personality/cognitive tests. Ultimately I was one of two final candidates when they hired internally instead. Despite their encouragement, this slow decision-making culture would deter me from applying again.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. (Either with guided questions or directly asked as such, this is how every interview I had with Steelcase started.)   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be challenging for you in this position?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Steelcase (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Over the phone interview, mostly behavioral. Asked questions about the content on my resume, past experiences, problem-solving abilities. Asked why I was interested in working at Steelcase. No industry-specific questions, but some questions regarding my aptitude for specific information technology systems and processes. Overall, good experience, ended up taking offer.

Materials Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Steelcase.

Interview

Obtained interview through college career fair. Recruiter then emailed me regarding setting up an interview. The interview was a phone interview then received an offer after that. There was a drug test and background check after the offer was made.

Data Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Steelcase in March 2015.

Interview

The interviewer and I introduced ourselves to each other.
    He asked some questions about my previous coursework and projects, especially machine learning and time series. For one project, they are interested in how I performed exploratory data analysis and one other project they asked how to generate new features and select important features to build the model.