Stein Mart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stein Mart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

2.7

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Destin, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Destin, FL).

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager who told me that she can not do the interview for the position in which I was applying and the district manager would have to interview me and informed me that he was out of the state interviewing someone else for the same position. The manager tried to get me to take a merchandise manager position instead of the assistant position for a significant pay decrease. Had to wait a month to talk to the DM who then had me wait another 2 weeks for my background check to come back. It was a very long process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Stein Mart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Mobile, AL) in February 2013.

Interview

Very professional and warm. Very relaxed environment. The store was very organized and clean. Staff was friendly and willing to offer assistance. The office was clean and orderly. The manager was dressed very nicely and professional. She clearly knew a lot about the company and offered me much information.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you had to defuse a situation where a customer was unhappy.   1 Answer

Work life balance.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

Spoke with District Director for this position. As a current employee, did not need to interview first with store manager. They typically interview from within the company first, then look at outside applicants.

Interview Questions

• Spoke about management style, coaching, training style. Spoke about management positions prior to coming to Stein Mart.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Memphis, TN) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview with Store Manager in the store and discuss personal experience level. If the SM is pleased with the interview it is then passed on to the District Director who then does their own interview a couple of days later. The District Director and Store Manager confer and make a decision on who the best person for the job is out of their pool of applicants. Offer is made by the DD.

Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Amarillo, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

very standard

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stein Mart in January 2012.

Interview

After applying online I took the initiative to contact the interviewing manager. Everyone who applies on line realizes how difficult it can be to be recognized. After contacting the interviewing manager , we set up a time and location to meet. I spent approximately 1 1/2 hrs in the interview answering various questions. I left feeling very confident about the interview and was told the district manager would be contacting me within the next 10 days for a 2nd interview. I followed up 3 times with the manager I interviewed with only to be told on the 3rd follow up that the position had been filled. I asked why I didn't qualify for a 2nd interview and was told the district manager decided to promote within the company. It's great to promote within, but at least have respect for the candidates you have interviewed and give them a call or send a letter/email to let them know the company has made a decisionI found this to be slightly rude since I was told I would recieve a follow up phone call. They just left me hanging.

Interview Questions

• Why were you terminated from your previous job   1 Answer
    • What can we expect from you in the 1st 90 days?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stein Mart in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online as well as delivered my resume to the General Manager. First interview was with the GM. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. GM immediately set me up for a second interview with the District Manager the following week. It was about the same amount of time. He stated a answer would be to me by the beginning of the following week. At the end of the following week I heard back from them and was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Questions that pertained to a field that I had no experience in.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I really needed a job at that time. I should have tried to negotiate a little.